What's new

TV Shows on Blu-ray. What's ahead? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I thought some HTFers would like to know that there is a discussion taking place over at TVShowsonDVD.com/TVGuide.com on the future of TV shows on Blu-ray disc.

I know I've read a number of posts here over the years about concerns about 4:3 programs making the transition to DVD in the first place (remember the Kung Fu: Season 1 debacle?). And I know there have been many opinions on which shows should be among the first brought into the high-def media.

Weekly RoundUpper Emeritus Dave Lambert has begun a blog discussion on the subject of TV on BD. He spotlights a new slate of TV on BD releases that will be hitting shelves in the next few weeks and talks about some of these issues which have been getting kicked-around the HTF for years.

I thought maybe some HTFers would like to pick-up that discussion here...or maybe JOIN IN on Dave's discussion over at TVGuide.com. In his discussion Dave ruminates about shows like Star Trek, CSI, Heroes, Twilight Zone & Dick Van Dyke...and the shows which have already hit BD: Lost, Prison Break, Smallville, etc. Pretty interesting stuff.

Obviously, TV Shows on BD is a phenomena that's just getting started.

[Since the TV Software forum is in the SD-DVD section, I figured this would be the appropriate forum for this post.]

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I know there's a rumor about Seinfeld and Friends making it to Blu-ray.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
What these studios need to do is cater their TV on BD releases to the high-def demographic. That means more releases like Prison Break, Lost etc and less Grey's Anatomy. Yes, I know Grey's is a popular show and I admit that I watch it with my wife on a weekly basis but I am not purchasing it or would ever consider to purchase it in Blu-ray format. 1. It has no replay value for me and 2. It is a dialog driven show that will not really benefit from advanced audio.
Now a show like Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles would benefit from a BD release and I am surprised that one was not announced along with the SD DVD release. As far as I know, the Terminator movies are very popular on BD and HD DVD and I see a show like SCC being gobbled up by both fans of the show and fans of the movies that never got around to seeing the show but would now because it's in HD. That would translate into more viewers for season 2.

Goko

Agent
Real Name
Joe E
I personally think BR should spend all it's energy on movie releases exclusively and leave TV shows to SDVD for the moment. Movies greatly benefit from PQ/AQ much more so than TV shows and Lord knows we could use a lot more title selection in the coming years.

Goko

Agent
Real Name
Joe E
Your missing my point. I would rather watch the chariot racing scene in Ben Hur (before I die) on BR disc than Lost which episodes I've already seen on ABC HD. Give me movies!!!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Don't hold your breath. It needs more than just cleaning up to make it to blu-ray.

Doug

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i would love to own certain series on BR, but for the most part it
would be cost prohibitive, i won't be able to afford it.

i picked up lost when it was on sale for under $40.

i see other shows over $60 and thats too much for me.
this is why i have netflix.

season 4 of Lost will list for about $100 and probably sell around $60-$80.
i can pick up a movie here and there for about $20/$25.
tv series will cost too much for me.

shows that air on hbo and F/X are only 12 or 13 epsiodes but the br sets are around $55 for f/x and over or just under $100 for hbo shows.

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator

Other than short-sighted greed, I simply can't understand why the studios refuse to have more realistic pricing for Blu-ray discs, particularly for sets like TV shows.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
It sure is Paul. Good sign. I hope we see an announcement soon. I would surely buy as I stated in my earlier post.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I agree on the pricing issue. Although, I understand that BD is going to be sold at a premium, TV on BD is certainly not going to do much until the prices become more reasonable. For example, Lost, the fouth season on BD has an MSRP that's close to $100. It's something like a $30 premium over the MSRP of the SD set. On top of that, the BD won't see nearly the same level of discount upon release as the SD set will at B&Ms. It may look great, but it's still, at least to me (and for probably 99% of the public), not really worth the price, especially as a TV season will probably not be watched nearly as much as a movie. I'm glad I have Lost Season 3 on BD and it looks and sounds great, but like many, the only reason I got it was because Amazon once put it on sale for a great price (but those types of discounts are rare)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Re: the pricing for TV sets on BD (vs. DVD), Lions Gate has the right idea - they have the same MSRP for the season sets of Weeds and Mad Men for both BD and DVD. Hopefully if sales for those BD sets are pretty high, other studios will take notice and also price BD sets closer to their DVD counterparts (I'm not expecting identical MSRPs, but less than a 30-40% premium would be nice).

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
The only show I'm really concerned with seeing on BD is The Shield. The first few seasons (particularly season 2) looked pretty bad on SD, IMO. Come to think of it. Why the hell did the first season look so much better than the 2nd? 3rd was alright and 4 & 5 were good.

Stargate SG-1 would be nice too, but I already have 8 seasons on SD. I can't see replacing it anytime soon. I'd buy 9 and 10 on BD if they're available though. I thought they got an international HD-DVD release or something, actually.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

Lionsgate is doing a great job. While not TV, their Rambo BDs are selling at $14.99!

Justice League: Season One is coming in August, but that $59 MSRP is way too high. I'm sure I'll still buy it. Sigh. I can't stand watching SD anymore. I'm spoiled.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

David, I've had mine preordered from the Warner store for months now for $36. Not a great price, granted, but better than what we'll see in B/M's, I'm sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks