• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 of 58 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Advanced Member

• 28,149 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 11 2008 - 04:00 PM

I thought some HTFers would like to know that there is a discussion taking place over at TVShowsonDVD.com/TVGuide.com on the future of TV shows on Blu-ray disc.

I know I've read a number of posts here over the years about concerns about 4:3 programs making the transition to DVD in the first place (remember the Kung Fu: Season 1 debacle?). And I know there have been many opinions on which shows should be among the first brought into the high-def media.

Weekly RoundUpper Emeritus Dave Lambert has begun a blog discussion on the subject of TV on BD. He spotlights a new slate of TV on BD releases that will be hitting shelves in the next few weeks and talks about some of these issues which have been getting kicked-around the HTF for years.

I thought maybe some HTFers would like to pick-up that discussion here...or maybe JOIN IN on Dave's discussion over at TVGuide.com. In his discussion Dave ruminates about shows like Star Trek, CSI, Heroes, Twilight Zone & Dick Van Dyke...and the shows which have already hit BD: Lost, Prison Break, Smallville, etc. Pretty interesting stuff.

Obviously, TV Shows on BD is a phenomena that's just getting started.

[Since the TV Software forum is in the SD-DVD section, I figured this would be the appropriate forum for this post.]

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2 of 58 BrettV

BrettV

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted May 11 2008 - 05:55 PM

cleaned up Star Trek The Next Generation would be instantly picked up by me.

#3 of 58 JohnS

JohnS

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted May 11 2008 - 10:22 PM

I know there's a rumor about Seinfeld and Friends making it to Blu-ray.

#4 of 58 Southpaw

Southpaw

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted May 12 2008 - 01:25 AM

What these studios need to do is cater their TV on BD releases to the high-def demographic. That means more releases like Prison Break, Lost etc and less Grey's Anatomy. Yes, I know Grey's is a popular show and I admit that I watch it with my wife on a weekly basis but I am not purchasing it or would ever consider to purchase it in Blu-ray format. 1. It has no replay value for me and 2. It is a dialog driven show that will not really benefit from advanced audio.
Now a show like Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles would benefit from a BD release and I am surprised that one was not announced along with the SD DVD release. As far as I know, the Terminator movies are very popular on BD and HD DVD and I see a show like SCC being gobbled up by both fans of the show and fans of the movies that never got around to seeing the show but would now because it's in HD. That would translate into more viewers for season 2.

#5 of 58 Goko

Goko

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted May 12 2008 - 04:15 AM

I personally think BR should spend all it's energy on movie releases exclusively and leave TV shows to SDVD for the moment. Movies greatly benefit from PQ/AQ much more so than TV shows and Lord knows we could use a lot more title selection in the coming years.

#6 of 58 TravisR

TravisR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 20,734 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 12 2008 - 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goko
Movies greatly benefit from PQ/AQ much more so than TV shows...
Assuming it's shot on film (yes, I know there's other factors beisdes just that), you're incorrect. Lost: Season Three is one of the best Blu Ray discs that I've ever seen.

#7 of 58 Goko

Goko

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted May 12 2008 - 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
Assuming it's shot on film (yes, I know there's other factors beisdes just that), you're incorrect. Lost: Season Three is one of the best Blu Ray discs that I've ever seen.
Your missing my point. I would rather watch the chariot racing scene in Ben Hur (before I die) on BR disc than Lost which episodes I've already seen on ABC HD. Give me movies!!!

#8 of 58 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,514 posts

Posted May 12 2008 - 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettV
cleaned up Star Trek The Next Generation would be instantly picked up by me.

Don't hold your breath. It needs more than just cleaning up to make it to blu-ray.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#9 of 58 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,846 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted May 12 2008 - 05:56 PM

i would love to own certain series on BR, but for the most part it
would be cost prohibitive, i won't be able to afford it.

i picked up lost when it was on sale for under $40.

i see other shows over $60 and thats too much for me.
this is why i have netflix.

season 4 of Lost will list for about $100 and probably sell around $60-$80.
i can pick up a movie here and there for about $20/$25.
tv series will cost too much for me.

shows that air on hbo and F/X are only 12 or 13 epsiodes but the br sets are around $55 for f/x and over or just under $100 for hbo shows.

facebook.com/whotony

#10 of 58 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted May 13 2008 - 01:20 AM

FYI. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles is up for pre-order on Amazon with no release date.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#11 of 58 Mike.B

Mike.B

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted May 13 2008 - 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
i would love to own certain series on BR, but for the most part it would be cost prohibitive, i won't be able to afford it.

Other than short-sighted greed, I simply can't understand why the studios refuse to have more realistic pricing for Blu-ray discs, particularly for sets like TV shows.

#12 of 58 Southpaw

Southpaw

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted May 13 2008 - 01:49 AM

It sure is Paul. Good sign. I hope we see an announcement soon. I would surely buy as I stated in my earlier post.

#13 of 58 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,846 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted May 13 2008 - 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
FYI. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles is up for pre-order on Amazon with no release date.
also only 27.95, better order now before it goes up.

Amazon.com: Terminator - The Sarah Connor Chronicles - The Complete First Season [Blu-ray]: Lena Headey, Thomas Dekker, Summer Glau: Movies & TV

facebook.com/whotony

#14 of 58 WillG

WillG

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,213 posts

Posted May 13 2008 - 02:12 AM

I agree on the pricing issue. Although, I understand that BD is going to be sold at a premium, TV on BD is certainly not going to do much until the prices become more reasonable. For example, Lost, the fouth season on BD has an MSRP that's close to $100. It's something like a $30 premium over the MSRP of the SD set. On top of that, the BD won't see nearly the same level of discount upon release as the SD set will at B&Ms. It may look great, but it's still, at least to me (and for probably 99% of the public), not really worth the price, especially as a TV season will probably not be watched nearly as much as a movie. I'm glad I have Lost Season 3 on BD and it looks and sounds great, but like many, the only reason I got it was because Amazon once put it on sale for a great price (but those types of discounts are rare)
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#15 of 58 Scott_J

Scott_J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted May 13 2008 - 11:24 AM

Re: the pricing for TV sets on BD (vs. DVD), Lions Gate has the right idea - they have the same MSRP for the season sets of Weeds and Mad Men for both BD and DVD. Hopefully if sales for those BD sets are pretty high, other studios will take notice and also price BD sets closer to their DVD counterparts (I'm not expecting identical MSRPs, but less than a 30-40% premium would be nice).

#16 of 58 Viper

Viper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted May 13 2008 - 02:12 PM

The only show I'm really concerned with seeing on BD is The Shield. The first few seasons (particularly season 2) looked pretty bad on SD, IMO. Come to think of it. Why the hell did the first season look so much better than the 2nd? 3rd was alright and 4 & 5 were good.

Stargate SG-1 would be nice too, but I already have 8 seasons on SD. I can't see replacing it anytime soon. I'd buy 9 and 10 on BD if they're available though. I thought they got an international HD-DVD release or something, actually.

#17 of 58 TravisR

TravisR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 20,734 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 13 2008 - 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper
The only show I'm really concerned with seeing on BD is The Shield.
My only concern with The Shield is if they use the incorrect 1.78 aspect ratio like Sony's new DVD sets are using. Something tells me I better get used to it.

#18 of 58 David Deeb

David Deeb

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted July 16 2008 - 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_J
Re: the pricing for TV sets on BD (vs. DVD), Lions Gate has the right idea - they have the same MSRP for the season sets of Weeds and Mad Men for both BD and DVD. Hopefully if sales for those BD sets are pretty high, other studios will take notice and also price BD sets closer to their DVD counterparts (I'm not expecting identical MSRPs, but less than a 30-40% premium would be nice).

Lionsgate is doing a great job. While not TV, their Rambo BDs are selling at $14.99!

Justice League: Season One is coming in August, but that $59 MSRP is way too high. I'm sure I'll still buy it. Sigh. I can't stand watching SD anymore. I'm spoiled.

#19 of 58 Jason_V

Jason_V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted July 18 2008 - 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Deeb
Justice League: Season One is coming in August, but that $59 MSRP is way too high. I'm sure I'll still buy it. Sigh. I can't stand watching SD anymore. I'm spoiled.

David, I've had mine preordered from the Warner store for months now for $36. Not a great price, granted, but better than what we'll see in B/M's, I'm sure.

#20 of 58 David Deeb

David Deeb

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted July 18 2008 - 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_V
David, I've had mine preordered from the Warner store for months now for $36. Not a great price, granted, but better than what we'll see in B/M's, I'm sure.

Posted Image

Thanks. Heading there now. That's a fair price for a season set on BD.

Back to Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow