Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Timecop release May 27th anamorphic?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   David_P

David_P

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted May 09 2008 - 02:28 AM

As part of a Van Damme quadruple action pack (Timecop / Hard Target / Street Fighter / The Quest):

http://www.amazon.co...SIN/B0015FQZIK/

stated as 1.85:1... anyone know if the whole set is widescreen anamorphic?

DP

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,105 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted May 09 2008 - 07:08 AM

I would hope so, as they could have sourced it from the HD master used to create the recent HD DVD.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,478 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 09 2008 - 07:12 AM

Not that it really means much but Universal finally released Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie and Serial Mom in anamorphic versions this week so maybe they're in an anamorphic mood.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Charles_Y

Charles_Y

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia suburbs

Posted May 13 2008 - 04:14 AM

Be really nice if they would include what I thought was a cool trailer. No such luck I'd wager.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted May 13 2008 - 04:23 AM

It's four films on two discs, with a list price of $19.99. I suppose it's possible Univeral created a new S-DVD from the hi-def master used for HD DVD, but it's just as likely that they're recycling the old S-DVD, which was P&S. We won't know until someone has a copy.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted May 13 2008 - 09:00 AM

Well, the Schwarzenegger set Universal released last year contained a newly anamorphic "Kindergarten Cop" so I wouldn't rule out the possibility quite yet. I'll definitely get this if it is, as I don't have any of these films.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,119 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 13 2008 - 10:03 AM

I'll wait to get a confirmation on this too. Would be nice to get an uncut "Hard Target" someday as well. I heard there was such a thing, could be internet rumor though.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted May 14 2008 - 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Radke
Well, the Schwarzenegger set Universal released last year contained a newly anamorphic "Kindergarten Cop" so I wouldn't rule out the possibility quite yet. I'll definitely get this if it is, as I don't have any of these films.

That set's Twins was also available in widescreen for the first time, and was 16:9-enhanced. It was a similar set with multiple films on a single disc, so I wouldn't be surprised if the new Van Damme set followed a similar model.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   David_P

David_P

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted June 09 2008 - 07:46 AM

I purchased the set, and wanted to confirm that Timecop is indeed anamorphic widescreen.

Timecop and Hard Target are on one DVD (single sided, dual layer) and Street fighter / The Quest are on another.

Timecop is actually 2.35:1 and Hard Target is 1.85:1, both anamorphic. On the DVD itself, the labelling says it's the other way around (TC=1.85:1 etc). The DVD labelling is incorrect.

The labelling on the case seems correct... and Streetfighter is the only film which is not anamorphic in the set (still is 2.35:1 widescreen though). This was confirmed by trying it out.

Timecop was on the one I was really interested in, and it's 2.35:1 anamorphic.

DP