Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Blu-ray titles!

Criterion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2643 replies to this topic

#1421 of 2644 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 06:18 AM

The only one I wanted that I didn't already own was On the Waterfront, so I threw in Ministry of Fear. I don't think I saved any money, but it'll whittle down what I'll end up buying during the B&N summer sale.

#1422 of 2644 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 26 2013 - 06:53 AM

Wow, On the Waterfront and Sansho backordered already, and I had to hold on until now to order. Lame. Looks like I missed out on this one. Just gonna wait for B&N summer sale I guess.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#1423 of 2644 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 891 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted February 26 2013 - 07:07 AM

I was able to complete my Criterion collection today. I ordered just before noon CST and the order was accepted. I only missed out on the blu upgrade of Ivan's Childhood (I already have the SD), so I'll pick it up on the next B&N sale. Thanks, fellow posters!

#1424 of 2644 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,583 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted February 26 2013 - 07:42 AM

Thanks for the tip (well, I thank you--my wallet, not so much). Picked up 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, Ride with the Devil, Anatomy of a Murder and Stagecoach. It's been quite the Criterion kick for me lately. Recently grabbed two Chaplins, Man Who Knew Too Much, Thin Red Line and Playtime on BD, plus found Spellbound, Notorious and Rebecca on DVD for reasonable price (have the BDs of the last three but I wanted the extras from the Criterion sets--I don't normally hunt down extras unless they are useful for a class but Hitchcock is my favourite director and I'm always on the lookout for good material on his films).
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#1425 of 2644 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,134 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 08:42 AM

Got ON THE WATERFRONT, TWO-LANE BLACKTOP and ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS.

#1426 of 2644 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted February 26 2013 - 08:47 AM

I'm kinda surprised that On the Waterfront is so popular, but then I shouldn't be I guess ha ha. The massive March wave of Criterion was the only wave to show up on Amazon.ca at a decent price before going up to $41 cdn per title so I got all those on pre-order. This all adds up to March being a pretty big Criterion month for me. I think I'm caught up on the titles I really wanted.

Now I need another sale to cover the Repo Man month! Collecting Criterion  NEVER ENDS! Posted Image

#1427 of 2644 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,262 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted February 26 2013 - 09:01 AM

No, it doesn't, but sometimes you get to take a breather.  Not lately, though.

#1428 of 2644 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted February 26 2013 - 12:13 PM

No, it doesn't, but sometimes you get to take a breather.  Not lately, though.

Not if you collect every spine lol. I just did another order for 3 more - was going to get Sansho but it's gone so I got Summer Interlude, Summer with Monika and Bottle Rocket. Will be a nice day when I only have to keep up with new ones lol
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#1429 of 2644 OFFLINE   Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 633 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 12:56 PM

Oh bummer, I missed out on ON THE WATERFRONT and THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH. I will wait until the B and N summer sale to place an order, any savings would be taken by the shipping costs since my order would otherwise not exceed $50.

#1430 of 2644 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 01:08 PM

I get by that by ordering one more movie lol

#1431 of 2644 OFFLINE   Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted March 14 2013 - 06:20 AM

Confirmation that Janus Films/Criterion has THE BROOD (and even though it isn't mentioned, SCANNERS)

She just finished watching a recent Janus acquisition, David Cronenberg’s early horror masterpiece The Brood — she had to angle her laptop on a recent flight so it wouldn’t disturb the attendants — and helped arrange the uploading of Janus’ 800-film collection to Hulu Plus.

That article also mentions that Janus is working on a Jacques Demy retrospective

#1432 of 2644 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 14 2013 - 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick King 

That article also mentions that Janus is working on a Jacques Demy retrospective

And since they mention it by name they more than likely picked up The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, which would be amazing.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#1433 of 2644 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts

Posted March 14 2013 - 04:33 PM

In reading that they seemed careful to word it so as not to say that Umbrellas was one of the titles, just using it to identify the director...

#1434 of 2644 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,670 posts

Posted March 14 2013 - 05:04 PM

I'm curious. Does Janus, which distributes to multiple avenues (theatrical, broadcast, and home-video) acquiring a title, mean that Criterion has the rights to sell the DVD/Blu-Ray? I thought Janus was the parent company, and Criterion was one arm of the company. Are there cases where Janus has certain rights but not all rights? David

#1435 of 2644 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted March 15 2013 - 01:54 AM

I'm curious. Does Janus, which distributes to multiple avenues (theatrical, broadcast, and home-video) acquiring a title, mean that Criterion has the rights to sell the DVD/Blu-Ray? I thought Janus was the parent company, and Criterion was one arm of the company. Are there cases where Janus has certain rights but not all rights? David

Typically Janis has complete control of what they have in their catalog. It's just that back in the VHS and laser days they used to sublicense to other companies like Embassy, Kino, and even Sony to get their stuff out.

#1436 of 2644 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,570 posts

Posted March 15 2013 - 03:40 AM

Gents,

As our site will be moving for the next few days, we will not be posting the
Criterion Press Releases that usually arrive today.

Most likely those press releases will go up Sunday or Monday.

In the meantime, you can find out what Criterion will be announcing today

directly from their website.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#1437 of 2644 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,262 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 27 2013 - 01:12 PM

wacky_map.jpg

#1438 of 2644 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton