Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Blu-ray titles!

Criterion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3026 replies to this topic

#21 of 3027 OFFLINE   JackKay

JackKay

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 05:13 PM

Criterion, don't forget 49th Parallel.
"I believe in censorship. After all, I made a fortune out of it." -Mae West

#22 of 3027 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,694 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 05:40 PM

What terrific news.

But now I've got to re-consider the whole "buy or not buy" the cropped Last Emperor on BD.

Ain't that the truth.....I thought I wouldn't have to think about this issue for a long time yet, but Critereon had to go ahead and join the Blu-ray ranks. Posted Image Decisions, decisions......

From that list(besides The Last Emperor), I would say that 'Bottle Rocket' and 'For All Mankind' have me very interested.

A Blu-ray re-issue of Spartacus would really make me dance though....
Recently watched- Lucy(2014), Megamind 3D, Visiting Hours, Paranormal Activity 4, The Legend Of Hercules 3D, The Maze Runner, The Three Musketeers 3D(2011), The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, Burn Notice: Season 4, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 2, Sweet Smell Of Success, Hero and the Terror, X-men: Days Of Future Past (The Rogue Cut)

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 3, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 3, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2, Heroes: Season 2, The Pacific, Burn Notice: Season 5, Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection

"Ignorance brings chaos, not knowledge."

#23 of 3027 OFFLINE   Med

Med

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 05:44 PM

Fantastic news! The Third Man, Walkabout & Man Who Fell To Earth will be instant buys for me. I'll no doubt pick up 400 Blows & Gimme Shelter soon after release too. So many titles in the Criterion catalogue that I'd re-buy in 1080p, but I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for Brazil.

#24 of 3027 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,190 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 07 2008 - 05:46 PM

What terrific news.

But now I've got to re-consider the whole "buy or not buy" the cropped Last Emperor on BD.

For anyone who wants to catch up on the controversy surrounding The Last Emperor...
Why would you have to re-consider just because it's on BD? The issue of cropping that bothered so many in that thread will probably still remain the same with this release except it's in high definition. Maybe, some are purists only in SD and not in HD.Posted Image

#25 of 3027 OFFLINE   Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Screenwriter

• 2,414 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 06:36 PM

For me, the HUGE news here is El Norte, one of my all-time favorites. I'd given up hope of ever getting an R1 DVD, and I didn't dare hope for a Criterion, and a Criterion Blu-Ray is beyond my wildest dreams. I'm over the moon about this.

#26 of 3027 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,641 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 07:09 PM

went right past me, but with the mention of Brazil, maybe Criterion will soon release Time Bandits on Blu-ray.

all-banner.jpg

#27 of 3027 OFFLINE   Med

Med

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 07:15 PM

Just to add I hope Criterion will release their Blu-Ray titles all region for those of us who wish to import to the UK (or elsewhere of course).

#28 of 3027 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Producer

• 3,093 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 07:25 PM

Double dipping on Walkabout, and Bottle Rocket.

Starting to get happy about Blu-RayPosted Image

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#29 of 3027 OFFLINE   Film Syncs

Film Syncs

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 07:43 PM

Outstanding. 400 Blows, Wages of Fear and Contempt should do nicely. Actually, I can imagine how amazing Contempt would look - the DVD looks fantastic. Can't wait for some Bergman and Fellini.
Agreed. Like others, I'm glad I didn't double dip on The Third Man. Contempt looked great in SD with great colors so that could be a real winner in HD.

#30 of 3027 OFFLINE   troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 07:52 PM

This is awesome. "Walkabout" for me and hopefully in the future "Naked Lunch."
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#31 of 3027 OFFLINE   JoshB

JoshB

Supporting Actor

• 901 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 08:04 PM

If only other studios had half the sense that Criterion does when it comes to releasing titles such as these.

Unlike Fox or New Line, where we won't likely see Star Wars or Lord of the Rings for some time to come, Criterion goes and offers some of its most celebrated titles to its initial wave. I hope they keep the supplemental content the same as the SD predecessors. Most of these are some of the finest DVDs available right now as far as content and overall product quality.

Count on Criterion to deliver and not disappoint.

My first post in over a year. Yay! Posted Image
"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men."

Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 06-08.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 09-10.

Operation Enduring Freedom Campaign Veteran, 12-13.

#32 of 3027 OFFLINE   mike caronia

mike caronia

Second Unit

• 417 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 08:05 PM

Posted Imagewoohoo!

Criterion Bottle Rocket !

Looks like I have to get a Blu player...

#33 of 3027 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 33,003 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 07 2008 - 08:12 PM

Why would you have to re-consider just because it's on BD? The issue of cropping that bothered so many in that thread will probably still remain the same with this release except it's in high definition. Maybe, some are purists only in SD and not in HD.Posted Image

Well, the old R1 release was sooo bad...and the film's images are so strikingly beautiful...that the cleaned-up SD release was very tempting on its own.

And, basically, I guess I just feel that having those beautiful images now released in HD--yet likely still cropped--just ratchet-up that temptation to a new level.

============================

It sure will be interesting to see what Criterion's MSRP is going to be on their BDs.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#34 of 3027 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,533 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 08:19 PM

Great news!! Hopefully we'll start seeing day-and-date releases from them soon. But the best news of the whole announcement is:

[quote]

[quote]

Other studios (looking at you Fox) please take note of the above.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#35 of 3027 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,276 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 08:57 PM

Wow, GREAT news! Posted Image

There are zillion Criterion-titles that I don´t have and I´ve held of buying those DVDs during the format war.

"The Third Man" and "400 Blows" are a must, and I must now also reconsider "Last Emperor" (the cropping does bother me in some degree).. We´ll see.

Anyway, thank you Criterion! About time! Posted Image

#36 of 3027 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 09:20 PM

went right past me, but with the mention of Brazil, maybe Criterion will soon release Time Bandits on Blu-ray.
I thought Time Bandits was an Anchor Bay title?

#37 of 3027 OFFLINE   Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Screenwriter

• 2,414 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 10:21 PM

The Criterion Collection: Time Bandits by Terry Gilliam

#38 of 3027 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,641 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 10:24 PM

It is. But Criterion released their version also And if I remember correctly, Criterion had great extras on it versus the Anchor Bay version.

all-banner.jpg

#39 of 3027 OFFLINE   Mike.B

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted May 08 2008 - 03:56 AM

This is great news!! I am especially pleased to hear them say that the prices will be the same as the standard def versions (though I won't totally believe it until I actually see it). On a side note, I wonder if the Criterion Blu-rays will have their own spine numbering system?

#40 of 3027 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted May 08 2008 - 05:54 AM

This is very exciting news indeed. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't seen even one of these films before. So, while I have decided to reign in my blind-buying on this format until prices come down, I have very much looking forward to renting them for the time being and using the responses in this thread to help choose the order in which I will do so. Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users