Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Blu-ray titles!

Criterion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2865 replies to this topic

#2121 of 2866 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,449 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted April 24 2014 - 01:49 PM

I'm quite sure that many (most?) over at the "snob forum" would be quite happy with The Thing from Another World making it into the collection (it's a Hawks films after all!).

After the hate that spewed over there about IAMMMMW, I'd be surprised. I posted over there about hoping to see "Night Train to Munich" upgraded by Criterion to Blu and was chased from the forum by villagers with torches and pitchforks!

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed. Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT490 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR

#2122 of 2866 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,461 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 24 2014 - 01:55 PM

The Vanishing seemed obvious to me. I heard at least a month ago somewhere on that one though.
facebook.com/whotony

#2123 of 2866 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,252 posts

Posted April 24 2014 - 05:33 PM

The Thing From Another World is owned by Warner Bros. No reason to expect Criterion ever getting a look at it.

#2124 of 2866 OFFLINE   John-Weller

John-Weller

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted April 25 2014 - 01:33 AM

Badlands is a Warner title, though? (or was)

#2125 of 2866 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,483 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted April 25 2014 - 06:24 AM

I'm guessing Badlands was just a one-off deal since it's been over a year now. Although, there was entire year between the first two MGM licenses (House of Games and Salo re-release).

#2126 of 2866 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,013 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 25 2014 - 07:04 AM

I read on one of these past threads that Criterion's release of BADLANDS was a one of special deal. But we can always hope, but don't hold your breath. Warner seems to acquiring licenses such as Paramount and Goldwyn and not licensing out properties.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#2127 of 2866 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,629 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted April 25 2014 - 08:32 AM

Or "The Vanishing", but then it should be in blue since it's re-release right?

I think the "Blu clues are in blue" has been dropped since everything they release now is Blu or Blu-DVD combo.

I welcome an update of The Vanishing. Amazing film. For those who associate foreign films with "snobdom" - give this one a try. It's very accessable.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.
* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.
* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#2128 of 2866 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,546 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 15 2014 - 12:57 PM

August titles are starting to go up on criterion.com. So far:

All That Jazz (1979)

Love Streams (1984)

Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (1990)

Vengeance Is Mine (1979)

Y tu mamá también (2001)

Edited by Brandon Conway, May 15 2014 - 01:00 PM.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2129 of 2866 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted May 15 2014 - 02:16 PM

POPULAR

All That Jazz!  Color me excited!

#2130 of 2866 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,292 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 15 2014 - 02:19 PM

nothing for me this month. Which is fine since I'm in for so many of their other titles.

(maybe "All that Jazz", I've heard so many good things about it...)

#2131 of 2866 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,449 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted May 15 2014 - 02:26 PM

Wow....several "nothing to see here" months in a row for me (with Red River a notable exception). Criterion's saving me some $ to apply to TT and Kino Classics titles!

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed. Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT490 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR

#2132 of 2866 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,013 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 15 2014 - 02:31 PM

POPULAR

ALL THAT JAZZ - That's one for me.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#2133 of 2866 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,577 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 15 2014 - 02:33 PM

All That Jazz!  Color me excited!

+1

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2134 of 2866 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,359 posts

Posted May 15 2014 - 02:34 PM

Depends what you're looking for. Blus of Love Streams and particularly All That Jazz should be spectacular.

#2135 of 2866 OFFLINE   Cremildo

Cremildo

Second Unit

• 308 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted May 15 2014 - 02:38 PM

I've been waiting for a Blu-ray of All That Jazz since I first watched the DVD, which was in 2007, if my recollections are right.

This is a mouth-watering announcement. Sorry, but the others didn't even register in my mind.

#2136 of 2866 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted May 15 2014 - 03:31 PM

I've been a fan of All That Jazz ever since I saw it theatrically on its original release. It was only the third or fourth R-rated movie I had ever seen as a teenager. I had the soundtrack on vinyl. By the way, has someone paged Ron Epstein? I know he's a fan.

#2137 of 2866 ONLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,391 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted May 15 2014 - 03:33 PM

I've been a fan of All That Jazz ever since I saw it theatrically on its original release. It was only the third or fourth R-rated movie I had ever seen as a teenager. I had the soundtrack on vinyl.By the way, has someone paged Ron Epstein? I know he's a fan.

I've already PM'd Ron...he'll doing cartwheels when he reads my message!!! :lol:

#2138 of 2866 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,546 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 15 2014 - 03:33 PM

By the way, has someone paged Ron Epstein? I know he's a fan.

Nah. Let him geek out when he gets the press release from Criterion. :D

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2139 of 2866 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,408 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted May 15 2014 - 03:40 PM

Su-weet. Jazz. Another DVD to replace.

#2140 of 2866 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 969 posts

Posted May 15 2014 - 03:45 PM

August titles are starting to go up on criterion.com. So far:

All That Jazz (1979)

Love Streams (1984)

Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (1990)

Vengeance Is Mine (1979)

Y tu mamá también (2001)

Nothing for me on that list. Have only heard of one, and it has no attraction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users