#1 of 2562 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,196 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 07 2008 - 10:47 AM

From latest newsletter:

Dear Criterion Collection Newsletter subscriber,

We’ve got some exciting news for this fall, and we wanted you to hear it first.

Our first Blu-ray discs are coming! We’ve picked a little over a dozen titles from the collection for Blu-ray treatment, and we’ll begin rolling them out in October. These new editions will feature glorious high-definition picture and sound, all the supplemental content of the DVD releases, and they will be priced to match our standard-def editions.

Here’s what’s in the pipeline:

The Third Man
Bottle Rocket
Chungking Express
The Man Who Fell to Earth
The Last Emperor
El Norte
The 400 Blows
Gimme Shelter
The Complete Monterey Pop
Contempt
Walkabout
For All Mankind
The Wages of Fear

Alongside our DVD and Blu-ray box sets of The Last Emperor, we’ll also be putting out the theatrical version as a stand-alone release in both formats, priced at $39.95. Our Blu-ray release of Walkabout will be an all-new edition, featuring new supplements as well as a new transfer; we will also release an updated anamorphic DVD of Nicolas Roeg’s outback masterpiece at the same time.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2 of 2562 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,542 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 10:49 AM

Posted Image

I thought I would never, ever use the dancing banana, but with some news "ya gotta dance!"

#3 of 2562 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,196 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 10:52 AM

Looks like I'll be triple-dipping The Wages of Fear and The Third Man (just bought the new Third Man DVD a few months ago) as well as double-dipping The 400 Blows. The Last Emperor and Gimme Shelter will also be mine; glad I never got the DVDs of those.

Looks like, other than older TV or absolute must-have B-catalog titles, my DVD buying days are over.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 2562 OFFLINE   Michael Warner

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 10:57 AM

Good news indeed. I'll certainly replace my DVD of For All Mankind and pick up the new Bottle Rocket disc. It's a nice, eclectic mix of titles which is a great way to jump into Blu-ray.
Xbox Live: mugwumps

#5 of 2562 OFFLINE   Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 892 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 10:57 AM

Gee that cropped Last Emperor again,I am glad we won't have to buy the
whole set again,if I buy it. Great news The Third man is a Must!!

#6 of 2562 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 11:02 AM

OMG! Walkabout was without doubt my most wanted Criterion title in Hd. No matter what else does or doesn't show up this year, as long as this makes it out properly realized, I'll consider this a great year for Blu-ray.
If they are ever able to release the big studio licensed films, Days Of Heaven would be an absolute must. I would also be thrilled to see Two-Lane Blacktop done without all the sad ringing visible on the dvd set.

#7 of 2562 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Neski
Gee that cropped Last Emperor again,I am glad we won't have to buy the
whole set again,if I buy it. Great news The Third man is a Must!!

Was Criterion's the cropped version?

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#8 of 2562 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,196 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce
Was Criterion's the cropped version?

Doug

Yes. Per Bertolucci and Storaro.

#9 of 2562 OFFLINE   Shawn.F

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 11:12 AM

Yup. Cropped to 2.00:1 from 2.35:1.

#10 of 2562 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
Yes. Per Bertolucci and Storaro.

I knew that one of them was cropped at the insistence of Storaro, and that Storaro would prefer that all of them be cropped, but I thought there was a version out there that wasn't. For some reason I thought it was the Criterion release, but now that I think of it, it might have been an import.

Doug

#11 of 2562 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,580 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted May 07 2008 - 11:22 AM

The Third Man is a must buy for me (I'm glad I didn't "upgrade" from my initial Criterion release). The others look interesting and will at least get a rental but the best part of this is future Criterion releases in hi-def. Excellent news.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#12 of 2562 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce
I knew that one of them was cropped at the insistence of Storaro, and that Storaro would prefer that all of them be cropped, but I thought there was a version out there that wasn't. For some reason I thought it was the Criterion release, but now that I think of it, it might have been an import.
There was a Region 0 NTSC version from Korea that was not cropped that has a much better transfer than the US release. There was also a PAL version in Europe that I think was struck from the same HD transfer.

#13 of 2562 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
Our first Blu-ray discs are coming! We’ve picked a little over a dozen titles from the collection for Blu-ray treatment, and we’ll begin rolling them out in October. These new editions will feature glorious high-definition picture and sound, all the supplemental content of the DVD releases, and they will be priced to match our standard-def editions.
I hope they space them out to no more than 3 or 4 per month! I want most of these. I'm especially looking forward to 400 Blows and Gimme Shelter.

Quote:
Alongside our DVD and Blu-ray box sets of The Last Emperor, we’ll also be putting out the theatrical version as a stand-alone release in both formats, priced at $39.95.
Does this mean we get both versions on Blu-Ray or are the 2 versions going to be separate purchases? I'm a little confused by the wording.

#14 of 2562 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDA
The Third Man is a must buy for me (I'm glad I didn't "upgrade" from my initial Criterion release). The others look interesting and will at least get a rental but the best part of this is future Criterion releases in hi-def. Excellent news.

Yeah The Third Man is a must buy for me.

Doug

#15 of 2562 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,995 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

I never bought Criterion's re-release of The Third Man (although I came close a couple of times) but I'll definitely pick up that and Bottle Rocket.

It's very nice to see that their price will match the SD versions too.

#16 of 2562 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,542 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDA

Ditto. This is the one I am definitely picking up and I too am glad I didn't pick up the latest release. The others will at least get a rent from me.

#17 of 2562 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 11:53 AM

Outstanding.

400 Blows, Wages of Fear and Contempt should do nicely. Actually, I can imagine how amazing Contempt would look - the DVD looks fantastic.

Can't wait for some Bergman and Fellini.

#18 of 2562 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,506 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 12:13 PM

WOW!
AMAZING news.

Chungking Express, Bottle Rocket and Third Man for sure.

others I will have to do my homework on as I haven't seen the rest.

Blu-ray just keeps getting better and better

all-banner.jpg

#19 of 2562 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,391 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 07 2008 - 12:18 PM

What terrific news.

But now I've got to re-consider the whole "buy or not buy" the cropped Last Emperor on BD.

For anyone who wants to catch up on the controversy surrounding The Last Emperor...

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#20 of 2562 OFFLINE   Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 892 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 12:59 PM

"But now I've got to re-consider the whole "buy or not buy" the cropped Last Emperor on BD."
at least there is a Pal version which isn't cropped,
I wish "Days of Heaven" was on that list

Back to Blu-ray

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow