Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion announces first Blu-ray titles

Criterion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2339 replies to this topic

#1721 of 2340 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,647 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted August 02 2013 - 08:06 PM

You're a HERO!

I'm going to attempt the same thing.... but with Vinegar Syndrome titles. They're a different beast then Criterion  :laugh:

• Moe Dickstein likes this
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#1722 of 2340 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,134 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted August 02 2013 - 08:13 PM

There are a few less than 666 of those, right?

Next I have to complete the CC Laserdiscs...
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#1723 of 2340 Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,488 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 05 2013 - 10:21 AM

Moe, I live in Burbank, so I'll be right over to "borrow" some of your collection. Thanks!

#1724 of 2340 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,134 posts

Posted August 05 2013 - 01:54 PM

LOL Glen, in seriousness it would be cool to maybe do a semi-regular LA HTF member meetup

#1725 of 2340 Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,488 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 05 2013 - 04:35 PM

I would love it, providing it didn't turn into a pissing contest which can sometimes happen when cinephiles get together, LOL. Those days are done for me. I loved seeing your setup though and wish I had the space to do the same. But I did finally get my entire collection cataloged so no more buying the same title twice and I know where find something when I need it. Thanks for sharing the pic of your admirable collection.
  • Moe Dickstein and ahollis like this

#1726 of 2340 Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,623 posts

Posted August 05 2013 - 04:58 PM

Moe, I also applaud your collection.   I'm nowhere near that level on the Criterions, but I do have a healthy number in the cabinets. 

I think I'm probably at the 150-200, including Blus, DVDs and some laserdiscs that have never been ported over.

Similar to your mode of operation, I keep my Criterions on the highest two levels of both sides of one cabinet.   People have asked me why I did that - I said "Because they're top shelf".     As a scotch collector as well, I figured the analogy was appropriate.

I too live in Los Angeles, and would be happy to get together with other HTF folk in the neighborhood some time.

• Richard M S likes this

#1727 of 2340 Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,623 posts

Posted August 05 2013 - 05:00 PM

By the way, Derrick, that wouldn't be a Hamburgler icon you're using to ask when Moe leaves home, is it?...

#1728 of 2340 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,134 posts

Posted August 05 2013 - 06:25 PM

One benefit to living alone, nobody can tell me I can't use 1/3 of my wall space for movie storage. Oh yeah you have to have the catalog. That's the reason I bought the Apple spreadsheet numbers - I make sure I'm good about entering every film I buy in a master sheet that gets synced up to my phone for checking when I'm out shopping so I don't come home with another copy of Gattaca...

I am so weak that I decided to use one more coupon on the last day of the sale and I got the last 3 DVDs I needed so my collection is now complete, outside of 2 DVDs that I am skipping due to upcoming Blu re-issues (one announced one imminent - The Spy Who Came In From The Cold and Tokyo Story).

It feels weird having them all, it's something I used to dream of as a 15 year old with the old printed Voyager/Criterion catalog of laserdiscs, what a fantasy it would be to collect them all - something impossible when they were between $50 and $125 each! Over the next few years once I pay my credit cards off again I'm going to work on completing the LD spines while I keep the BD releases current, mostly at BN Sales.

Maybe we should start a thread about an LA meetup? I think it's great just to meet up with likeminded folk and HTF people I've met weren't the pissing contest type so I think we'd be safe there. I'm not sure where everyone is (I'm in Sherman Oaks) but maybe something like a weekend lunch at Canters or something like that would be somewhat central for most? Of course there would be more parking in the valley...

Edited by Moe Dickstein, August 05 2013 - 06:27 PM.

• JohnMor and Rob_Ray like this

#1729 of 2340 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,071 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted August 05 2013 - 06:54 PM

If I were out there, I'd for sure participate in a little meet-up now and then.  

Heck, I'd like it if we could get something going around here in the metro-NYC area.  A few of us in Connecticut do get together to watch movies now and then, and that's always great.  But there have to be additional opportunities for meeting and doing whatever, that we just aren't taking advantage of.  I can tell you that it is VERY satisfying and refreshing to spend the occasional afternoon or evening with people who are like-minded and can talk up a storm about the things we're all pretty passionate about.

#1730 of 2340 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,134 posts

Posted August 05 2013 - 06:56 PM

Exactly, I had a great time at the last HTF Hollywood meetup, but there's no reason we have to wait 2-3 years between events :)

#1731 of 2340 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,096 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted August 05 2013 - 07:35 PM

Well, I'm in NoHo, so I'm up for an L.A.- area meetup sometime. :thumbsup:  

#1732 of 2340 Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 442 posts

Posted August 05 2013 - 08:47 PM

By the way, Derrick, that wouldn't be a Hamburgler icon you're using to ask when Moe leaves home, is it?...

Kevin, I don't know what you are talking about. :biggrin:

#1733 of 2340 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,358 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted August 06 2013 - 03:29 AM

I'm down in Cerritos, but would drive up into L.A. for a meetup.

#1734 of 2340 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,082 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 06 2013 - 05:13 AM

I'm in Scotland, if someone pays for the airline ticket and has a room for me and food and beer then i'll come over.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1735 of 2340 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,134 posts

Posted August 06 2013 - 03:00 PM

I've pulled the trigger - we can move the derailing meetup talk here:

http://www.hometheat...members-meetup/

#1736 of 2340 usrunnr

usrunnr

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted August 12 2013 - 05:01 PM

And since they mention it by name they more than likely picked up The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, which would be amazing.

I have the Fox-Lorber DVD of "Cherbourg" and it does not look good up-converted on my Blu-Ray.  HOWEVER, TCM is showing it right now (5-7:00 pm 8-12-13), and it looks MUCH better.  Which is surprising. Usually TCM movies look bad compared to Blu-Ray/DVD titles.  I honestly do not understand, but I wish Criterion would pick up all the Demy titles and issue them on Blu-Ray.  All of them are really wonderful films. Back to my TCM "Cherbourg" which I am DVRing.

Edited by usrunnr, August 12 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#1737 of 2340 AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Supporting Actor

• 704 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted August 12 2013 - 07:54 PM

No need to wait for Criterion for Demy's Les Demoiselles de Rochefort, as this sublime movie has been given a great release in France on the Arte label and I'm pretty sure it's multi-region as it played on my Oppo without any need to change regions from its default Region A setting.

#1738 of 2340 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,134 posts

Posted August 12 2013 - 08:10 PM

I'll always wait for the criterion but I'm a special case. I'm sure they would do a nicely loaded edition of that film

#1739 of 2340 Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 442 posts

Posted August 12 2013 - 10:30 PM

I think that Les Demoiselles de Rochefort is, unfortunately, still with Miramax. 

I don't recall this being mentioned, here are the Demy films that Criterion has the rights to:

Donkey Skin
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
A Room in Town
A Slightly Pregnant Man
Bay of Angels
Lola

Edited by Derrick King, August 12 2013 - 10:33 PM.

#1740 of 2340 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,134 posts

Posted August 15 2013 - 12:50 PM

First deduced November title:

Frances Ha

Tokyo Story page is showing backorder only so that looks likely for November Blu upgrade

update: this has been put into the text on the page for TS:

"New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray"

Edited by Moe Dickstein, August 15 2013 - 12:51 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users