-

Photo
- - - - -

360 getting a Blu-Ray drive

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,837 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted May 06 2008 - 07:05 PM

It's supposedly coming in the third quarter, and will be made by Pegatron. Not many other details, but this possibly erases one of the arguments for the PS3 for those of us still consoleless. I say possibly, because I understand the PS3 has the best Blu-Ray player on the market, and the 360 will have to compete with that reputation. Of course, one of the big pluses in the PS3's favor is that *everyone* has Blu-Ray, so the game manufacturers can take advantage of that and not leave anyone out in the cold.

XBOX 360 Finally Getting Blu-ray - Tom's Hardware

#2 of 7 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,581 posts

Posted May 06 2008 - 08:47 PM

Hmmm....

If this is true I would not hesitate to buy the add-on as long
as the firmware could be upgraded like the PS3.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 7 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,483 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 07 2008 - 10:00 AM

The article it links to seems to imply that they're going to manufacture consoles with built-in BD-ROM drives, not that they're going to make add-on drives. Who knows?

At any rate, I'd wait for a second source to confirm it.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#4 of 7 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,742 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted May 07 2008 - 11:23 AM

I'll believe it when I see it. It doesn't make sense to add a 4th SKU to the line, and I don't see why they would want to eat the price increase for something only a small % of people will use. Sony makes $$ on BD in the long term, so there losses and the PS3 are worth it. MS will make nothing on BD longterm (they would have on HD DVD) so why should they take a loss to support it?

#5 of 7 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,837 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted May 07 2008 - 04:22 PM

Microsoft denies this today. They couldn't support it for games, so it doesn't make much of a difference, other than as an all-in-one solution for those who don't have Blu-Ray.

I don't follow Blu-Ray too much, but I was reading today that the industry is worried about it because it's not taking off even with the demise of HD-DVD. I read this in the video game press, so I don't know if it's accurate, but I can definitely see the reluctance to jump to a new format on the part of the general public. Heck, I'm there myself. But, it's also the case that after watching HD for a couple of years, going back to SD-DVD is tough. I hope this statement isn't against forum rules, because I'm not trying to argue. It's just my personal view.

#6 of 7 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,483 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 08 2008 - 04:59 AM

If "the industry" doesn't understand why BD isn't taking off as quickly as DVD did, then "the industry" is pretty dumb.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#7 of 7 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,837 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted May 08 2008 - 08:44 AM

I didn't say they didn't understand. They just hoped the end of the format war would spark sales, but it apparently hasn't. According to whatever I was reading yesterday.