Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Neil Young to release archive on BluRay disc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

#1 of 64 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted May 06 2008 - 09:28 AM

From the AP: Neil Young to release archive on BluRay disc.

I'm not a fan of Neil Young but I remember many years ago, when CDs were in their heyday, that he expressed dissatisfaction with how CD's 44.1 sampling rate felt, and announced that he simply could not see releasing his archives on CD.

Seems like his patience was to his advantage.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#2 of 64 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,575 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted May 06 2008 - 09:31 AM

The article does get one point quite wrong, though. While you can download stuff onto the storage drive of a blu-ray player, you cannot download "more stuff" onto the discs themselves. Maybe someone should let Neil know that. Posted Image
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#3 of 64 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted May 06 2008 - 11:14 AM

"The first installment of Young's archive will cover the years 1963 to 1972 and will be released as a 10-disc set this fall on Reprise/Warner Bros. Records."

I'm having some sort of flashback, like I've heard this before.
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#4 of 64 Chuck King

Chuck King

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted May 06 2008 - 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Gale
I'm having some sort of flashback, like I've heard this before.

"July"

#5 of 64 Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted May 06 2008 - 12:30 PM

I don't understand why they'd choose blu-ray. Why not SACD or DVD-A? No hardware/software problems with them like with BD now. Plus, just like with DVD-A, we'll need to turn on a display to play an audio disc. SACD would be my choice. It'll be curious if it's also BD for Europe too.
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#6 of 64 Blair G

Blair G

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted May 06 2008 - 01:56 PM

I'm a big Neil fan but I don't own a BD player yet and don't plan to in the near future.

IMHO he has shrunk an already limited market for this project down even further

#7 of 64 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted May 06 2008 - 05:26 PM

Kevin -- "Earlier technology didn't offer the ability to browse archive material while listening to songs in high-resolution audio, Young noted. 'Previous technology required unacceptable quality compromises,' he said in a statement. 'I am glad we waited and got it right.'"

So he likes the interactive visuals of BluRay. But I think the main reason he didn't go with SACD or DVDA is because they're abandoned formats - what would be the point?

Now that I've watched the video of his presentation (audience-shot recording of the demo), I am very impressed by the amount of visuals...and grateful that animation has advanced so far that this sort of visual archive can even be possible. In the demo they show off a dilapidated, rusty file cabinet, full of aged folders -- some of which contain his earlier vinyl 45s, some have photos, some have handwriten lyrics, interview snippets, etc., all rendered in 1080p. There's a timeline rendered as a cork board with tacks and strings and other bits of miscelanea. It just goes on and on, forever. And yes, there's also a play-all if you just want to turn off the tv.

Neil Young may have done it first, but I think this sort of approach would be great for any other long-term musician like David Bowie or Bob Dylan... I don't know if any non-billionaire musicians could afford to have this kind of project undertaken in so much detail.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#8 of 64 Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 12:47 AM

Very cool news! I wonder what they'll use, LPCM or lossless compression.

Quote:
But I think the main reason he didn't go with SACD or DVDA is because they're abandoned formats - what would be the point?
Of course. He does want to sell the discs, after all. I've got a decent DVD-A/SACD collection, but I've got no problem with this being BD, makes more sense.
SVS Customer Service
http://www.svsound.com
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#9 of 64 Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 02:45 AM

I'm not a big NY fan, but I actually like this idea. I do agree with Kevin though in that we'll once again need to turn on our display. Posted Image
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#10 of 64 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 07:22 AM

Here's a video recorded from the audience, of Neil Young's demo of the first of his archive releases:

Live Video Demo of Neil Young’s Blu-ray Archive

#11 of 64 Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 12:51 PM

I bet there are a heckuva lot more SACD/DVD-A players out there than BD players right now. So ... he wants to sell a bunch of these, right? Posted Image

And this makes no sense: 'Previous technology required unacceptable quality compromises,' Someone please explain to me about the quality compromises associated with either DVD-A or SACD.
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#12 of 64 Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C Brown
I bet there are a heckuva lot more SACD/DVD-A players out there than BD players right now. So ... he wants to sell a bunch of these, right? Posted Image

Right now. How many are using them as such? No one I know is aware of SACD or DVD-A as audio formats. They're dead to the consumer. In fact, they were never born. The fact that I love them doesn't change this. And, yeah, I'm assuming he wants to sell them, so he's hoping to step out of a niche. Posted Image
SVS Customer Service
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#13 of 64 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,648 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 08 2008 - 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair G
I'm a big Neil fan but I don't own a BD player yet and don't plan to in the near future.

I'm a big Neil young fan, and have been waiting for this set since it was announced as "Decade II" in 1988... looks like I get to keep waiting since I don't own a blu-ray player, and with my current set up, can't justify it just to buy what would be an already expensive box set.

Shame Posted Image
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#14 of 64 Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted May 08 2008 - 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey
Right now. How many are using them as such? No one I know is aware of SACD or DVD-A as audio formats.

You must be living under a rock then. Posted Image Go to AVS and check out all the traffic with just the Oppo players and the people playing SACDs and DVD-As on them. Add Denon, and Pioneer to that too.

I agree that SACD and DVD-A never added up to be a hill of beans. But relatively speaking, BD is even now a lot smaller hill of beans. And that's not going to change all that quickly into the future if they can't get the hardware and software prices down.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#15 of 64 Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted May 08 2008 - 01:03 PM

Quote:
You must be living under a rock then.
Nahh.

Quote:
Go to AVS and check out all the traffic with just the Oppo players and the people playing SACDs and DVD-As on them. Add Denon, and Pioneer to that too.
Neat. AVS isn't the general public, though. No one I know personally is a member. It's a niche within a niche.

Quote:
I agree that SACD and DVD-A never added up to be a hill of beans. But relatively speaking, BD is even now a lot smaller hill of beans.
More people know what Blu-Ray is than DVD-A or SACD. And, just a guess, but I'll bet more people have PS3s than all SACD players combined.
SVS Customer Service
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#16 of 64 KurtEP

KurtEP

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted May 08 2008 - 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey
More people know what Blu-Ray is than DVD-A or SACD. And, just a guess, but I'll bet more people have PS3s than all SACD players combined.

Well, a PS3 can play SACD, but your point is still legitimate, Blu Ray is far more mainstream than DVD-A or SACD. I have only run into one person outside of internet forums who had ever heard of SACD, and I'm the only person I know who has any kind of collection. Lots of people are aware of Blu Ray.

It's a pity, really, but SACD and DVD-A are pretty much dead, outside of the classical market. There are still releases, but they seem to cater to a very small audience. High resolution audio on Blu Ray, on the other hand, seems to have a lot of potential, although I'm with those who gripe about having to have a video monitor going to use them. That's not what I want when I play music, but if that's what I have to put up with to get hi rez, so be it.

This is the second release I've heard of on Blu Ray (the first being NIN), and I hope that there are many more.
Lay down your law books now, they're no damned good -- The Eagles

#17 of 64 Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted May 08 2008 - 02:46 PM

Quote:
I have only run into one person outside of internet forums who had ever heard of SACD, and I'm the only person I know who has any kind of collection. Lots of people are aware of Blu Ray.
My point exactly.
SVS Customer Service
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#18 of 64 Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted May 09 2008 - 02:11 AM

Other than the massive storage capacity, is there any reason why Neil has chosen BR? I can't believe that there is any video from back then that would benefit from HD mastering. I suppose scrap book material, photos, and other memorabilia may look good in HD resolutions.

And is there any word on the audio format? Wasn't his GH collection released in 24/96 DVD-V (I have it, and am pretty sure it is 24/96, but do not recall if that was DVD-A or DVD-A...I am guessing DVD-V).

I would have to say I agree with those that consider this an iffy move on his part. A DVD package with 24/96 sound would be something that could be sold to virtually anyone with a DVD player. While many non-enthusiasts know what BR is, they may not actually own one.

The subset of rabid Neil Young fans (those that will pony up for a 10 disc set), who also happen to have a BR deck has to be pretty darn small. And the subset of those that will buy one just for this release has to be smaller still.

Brian

#19 of 64 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,648 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 09 2008 - 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian L
Other than the massive storage capacity, is there any reason why Neil has chosen BR? I can't believe that there is any video from back then that would benefit from HD mastering. I suppose scrap book material, photos, and other memorabilia may look good in HD resolutions.

Know what would make that material look even better? In a book included with the set. Who likes reading press clippings off their TV?
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#20 of 64 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted May 09 2008 - 06:15 AM

Neil has made it clear many times before that he doesn't care about sales, he only cares about quality. He's a golden-eared kind of guy.

Plus you have to assume he got investment in this project.

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow