Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Men who hate grilling

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#1 of 46 OFFLINE   Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted May 05 2008 - 04:04 AM

I know, the grill is supposed to be one of the last bastions of manhood, right? As a man I am supposed to relish the opportunity to play with fire, serve up the kill, etc. But sorry, I hate grilling.

Maybe it's because I don't like cooking much to begin with. Maybe I'm a control freak and don't like the random way the flames can seem to blacken things on the outside while they are still raw on the inside. Maybe I don't like smelling like smoke and getting spattered with grease. Maybe I just don't like the assumption that since I am the man of the house, I must be the griller of the house.

Anyone else out there hate being forced to grill? I'd much rather be sitting back, drinking a beer and relaxing while someone else does it. But I can't exactly ask a guest to do "my" job, and my wife is too busy preparing the other foods in the kitchen.
"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

#2 of 46 OFFLINE   Brandon_T

Brandon_T

Screenwriter

• 1,900 posts

Posted May 05 2008 - 04:23 AM

I absolutely love grilling. We grill 3-4 times a week. Its not about being manly, but I love being outside, grilling playing with my kids, having the Tigers games on the radio. Its a great way to get me outside when I don't really feel like it. As far as smelling like smoke, I have a gas grill and don't have a huge smoke problem. That also allows me to control the heat for proper cooking.

I think its ok to not like grilling, but its something that really makes me think of summertime, and just being outside.

#3 of 46 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted May 05 2008 - 05:07 AM

Quote:
Maybe it's because I don't like cooking much to begin with
I think it's probably this.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#4 of 46 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted May 05 2008 - 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin
But I can't exactly ask a guest to do "my" job,
Why not. I hosted a superbowl party this year, and my guests completely took over the kitchen, especially this one guy who was a freaking wizard. I still dream about those wings.

Now, I do find it curious that any form of cooking should be considered a "bastion of manhood". When did this happen?

--
H

#5 of 46 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted May 05 2008 - 05:43 AM

Grilling's different. It's not in the kitchen, it applies to meat nearly exclusively, and it involves setting fires. Posted Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob MacLaughlin
Maybe I just don't like the assumption that since I am the man of the house, I must be the griller of the house.
Then be a man and say no rather than complaining about it. Ask if someone else wants to or have a roast that can be thrown in the oven and basically ignored until it's ready. It's your house and your party, so you get to make the rules.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#6 of 46 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,657 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted May 05 2008 - 05:44 AM

Despite having 2 grills, I don't grill too much. I don't hate grilling but I fall into the "not liking to cook" category so to me grilling is tedious, clean the grill, hope you have a full tank of propane, get the long match to light the burners (inevitably, the automatic ones stop working and I'm too cheap to buy a new sparker). Then usually a lot of the better recipes call for marinating some kind of meat and hope it's not a flamefest because of it.

So, my two grills (one left by the seller of my house, one left by my parents when they moved) sit on my deck... I have a spare tank in my basement, albeit it's the old kind of valve on it... Maybe I'll get around to firing it up this year, albeit to make BBQ chicken wings, which is relatively easy to marinade and BBQ up.

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#7 of 46 OFFLINE   LewB

LewB

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted May 05 2008 - 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H
Despite having 2 grills, I don't grill too much. I don't hate grilling but I fall into the "not liking to cook" category so to me grilling is tedious, clean the grill, hope you have a full tank of propane, get the long match to light the burners (inevitably, the automatic ones stop working and I'm too cheap to buy a new sparker). Then usually a lot of the better recipes call for marinating some kind of meat and hope it's not a flamefest because of it.

So, my two grills (one left by the seller of my house, one left by my parents when they moved) sit on my deck... I have a spare tank in my basement, albeit it's the old kind of valve on it... Maybe I'll get around to firing it up this year, albeit to make BBQ chicken wings, which is relatively easy to marinade and BBQ up.

Jay

Jay:
Unless that tank is 100% completely empty, get it out of the house, they are not to be kept indoors.
I'm not sure anyone will refill it anyway. Drop it off at a place that does tank refills. They will usually let you drop off those old clunkers.

#8 of 46 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,399 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted May 05 2008 - 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holadem
Now, I do find it curious that any form of cooking should be considered a "bastion of manhood". When did this happen?
Good questionPosted Image

The funny thing about Bob's description of grilling -- the soaring flames, smelling like smoke and getting spattered with grease -- pretty much describe how I cook in the kitchen. We're probably going to burn to death in a fire, because I had to take the smoke detector down it went off so regularly. Between the gas stove top and my propensity to run all my meats through the broiler, there's very little I could that doesn't involve fire. And I use butter as a glaze to make sure everything's got that extra layer of fat and cholesterol, which can sometime ignite in broiler.

So for me, grilling is just cooking in the fresh air and sunshine.

#9 of 46 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,657 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted May 05 2008 - 06:19 AM

Yeah, actually it's not inside the basement, per se, but in an open "foyer" to the basement that isn't sealed.. I might just move it outside though... It might be empty for all I know anyway.

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#10 of 46 OFFLINE   Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted May 05 2008 - 06:19 AM

Hey, if I can't complain here in the After Hours Lounge, where else can I complain? Posted Image
"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

#11 of 46 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,328 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted May 05 2008 - 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holadem
Grilling's always been "man's work", as Jason explains.

And in my house, all cooking in a bastion of manhood as I'm the cook. (Except for baked desserts.)I like grilling. It's cooking, but with a grill. Obviously it's better!

Bob - you absolutely can ask a guest to grill! You've certainly got a friend who see's your grill and is just itching to shove you aside and take over. Give him your approval (assuming he's good at it) and -- like Holadem experienced -- you might get the best food of your life. Posted Image

#12 of 46 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 05 2008 - 08:21 AM

Quote:

You're throwing hunks of blood-dripping meat onto a metal grate over an open flame. This was clearly a form of cooking invented by a blacksmith who wanted dinner and got tired of his wife futzing around with vegetables and biscuits. "Here, give me the real food, I'll cook it myself. I have work to do." Posted Image

And have you ever been inside the kitchen of a high-end restaurant? Most of the world's great chefs have been men, and they like to let you know it. In a lot of these places the testosterone is practically dripping off the walls. Cooking for the family at home may have been considered "woman's work" in most times and places, but serious, professional, competitive cooking for money has usually been a man's job, and it is only fairly recently that women cracked the top ranks.

Regards,

Joe

#13 of 46 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted May 05 2008 - 08:39 AM

Quote:
When women decided that not even men can make too much of a mess of heating a piece of meat over a naked flame, and so persuaded them it was manly to do it whilst they lazed back in the sunshine. Posted Image

I'm not keen on them - the taste range is very limited and I'd much sooner prepare a meal in a proper kitchen. My wife, bless her, can burn water [but is a genius at household repairs and ironing, which I'm useless at, so it evens out] so generally I do the cooking in our house.

#14 of 46 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,328 posts

Posted May 05 2008 - 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew markworthy
I'm not keen on them - the taste range is very limited ...
You need a better cookbook Posted Image

#15 of 46 OFFLINE   Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted May 05 2008 - 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin
I know, the grill is supposed to be one of the last bastions of manhood, right? As a man I am supposed to relish the opportunity to play with fire, serve up the kill, etc. But sorry, I hate grilling.

Maybe it's because I don't like cooking much to begin with. Maybe I'm a control freak and don't like the random way the flames can seem to blacken things on the outside while they are still raw on the inside. Maybe I don't like smelling like smoke and getting spattered with grease. Maybe I just don't like the assumption that since I am the man of the house, I must be the griller of the house.

Anyone else out there hate being forced to grill? I'd much rather be sitting back, drinking a beer and relaxing while someone else does it. But I can't exactly ask a guest to do "my" job, and my wife is too busy preparing the other foods in the kitchen.
I'm pretty much the same way, but not so much about grilling - I feel that way about watching sports. You know - Football, baseball, hockey. Bores the crap out of me. It's as painful as watching a Barbera Streisand movie. Boring boring boring. I see no reason why I should give a rats ass about what team wins. I don't know any of them and next year the teams will be completely different. I'd no more want to watch them work than they would want to watch me work.

Now, playing is completely different - I love to play them all.

#16 of 46 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,876 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted May 05 2008 - 01:18 PM

Dave,

Man that's the girly-man wussy book. REAL MEN use this book. Posted Image

Amazon.com: Kill It and Grill It: Ted and Shemane Nugent's Guide to Preparing & Cooking Wild Game and Fish: Ted Nugent: Books
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#17 of 46 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,328 posts

Posted May 05 2008 - 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Nicholls
Well, I certainly can't argue with the testerone level of a Ted Nugent book... man I haven't thought about that guy since high school Posted Image

Quote:
I feel that way about watching sports. You know - Football, baseball, hockey. Bores the crap out of me. It's as painful as watching a Barbera Streisand movie. Boring boring boring. I see no reason why I should give a rats ass about what team wins.
Eric_L -- I'm with you on the sports. I've never been able to get revved up about watching people play games (except for the Olympics). I especially find it difficult as an adult to root for one set of millionaires competing against another.

#18 of 46 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,876 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted May 05 2008 - 02:26 PM

That's OK. I'm sure our next vice-president - Sarah Palin - will show all us boys how to grill mooseburgers. Posted Image

#19 of 46 OFFLINE   Alex-C

Alex-C

Screenwriter

• 1,240 posts

Posted May 05 2008 - 04:15 PM

Quote:
I absolutely love grilling. We grill 3-4 times a week. Its not about being manly, but I love being outside, grilling playing with my kids, having the Tigers games on the radio. Its a great way to get me outside when I don't really feel like it. As far as smelling like smoke, I have a gas grill and don't have a huge smoke problem. That also allows me to control the heat for proper cooking.

I think its ok to not like grilling, but its something that really makes me think of summertime, and just being outside.

I absolutely love grilling. We grill 3-4 times per week. Its not about manliness, its about not messing the kitchen, not turning on an oven in the summer, being outside, watching my kids play in the backyard, fresh air, having the radio on. The more that gets cooked on the grill (veggies, meat, entire meal), the easier the clean up is ! I dont mind the smoke. Gas grills are great in controlling heat.

The only real difference is that we can grill here in California for about 10 months per year. And if I were in my hometown of San Diego, it would be about 13 months/year !

Posted Image
A new life awaits you in the off-world colonies, the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure.

Let's Go . . . To the colonies !

#20 of 46 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,876 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted May 05 2008 - 08:45 PM

Heck I grill here in Idaho when it's snowing outside. What else is a covered patio good for? It's kind of neat seeing the snow hit the hot BBQ and vaporize.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow