What's new

Iron Man (2008)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Title: Iron Man (2008)

Tagline: Heroes aren't born. They're built.

Genre: Action, Science Fiction, Adventure

Director: Jon Favreau

Cast: Robert Downey Jr., Terrence Howard, Jeff Bridges, Gwyneth Paltrow, Leslie Bibb, Shaun Toub, Faran Tahir, Clark Gregg, Bill Smitrovich, Sayed Badreya, Paul Bettany, Jon Favreau, Peter Billingsley, Tim Guinee, Will Lyman, Tom Morello, Marco Khan, Daston Kalili, Ido Ezra, Kevin Foster, Garret Noël, Eileen Weisinger, Ahmed Ahmed, Fahim Fazli, Gerard Sanders, Tim Rigby, Russell Richardson, Nazanin Boniadi, Thomas Craig Plumer, Robert Berkman, Stacy Stas, Lauren Scyphers, Frank Nyi, Marvin Jordan, Jim Cramer, Donna Evans, Reid Harper, Summer Kylie Remington, Ava Rose Williams, Vladimir Kubr, Callie Croughwell, Javan Tahir, Sahar Bibiyan, Patrick O'Connell, Adam Harrington, Meera Simhan, Ben Newmark, Ricki Lander, Jeannine Kaspar, Sarah Cahill, Stan Lee, Justin Rex, Zorianna Kit, Lana Kinnear, Nicole Lindeblad, Masha Lund, Gabrielle Tuite, Tim Griffin, Joshua Harto, Micah A. Hauptman, James Bethea, Samuel L. Jackson, Jeffrey Ashkin, Russell Bobbitt, Vianessa Castaños, Mike Cochrane, Crystal Marie Denha, Mellany Gandara, Halla, Rodrick Hersh, Kristin J. Hooper, Chris Jalandoni, Stephen Janousek, Laura Liguori, Flavia Manes Rossi, Anthony Martins, Robert McMurrer, James M. Myers, America Olivo, Sylvette Ortiz, Brett Padelford, Ajani Perkins, Chris Reid, Toi Rose, George F. Watson, David Zyler, Nick W. Nicholson, Elijah Samuel Quesada

Release: 2008-04-30

Runtime: 126

Plot: After being held captive in an Afghan cave, billionaire engineer Tony Stark creates a unique weaponized suit of armor to fight evil.

As of Wednesday night, has a 94% Fresh at Rotten Tomatoes....

Last edited by a moderator:

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I've seen several reviews that rank this flick alongside Spider-Man 2 and Batman Begins as one of the best superhero movies ever made. The 94% rating at RT certainly helps to corroborate that. I can't wait to see it this weekend. :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
8.5/10

-RDJ as Stark
-Anything involving any suit
-the prologue
-Paltrow in non-action scenes
-Jeff Bridges
-Howard

Dislikes:

-the score
-Paltrow in any action scene
-Stark's one-dimensional transformation (some may say sissification) concerning his company's weapons development
-the suspension of disbelief necessary to believe he could actually develop the first suit in the covert way he did and with the materials he would need

A solid comic book movie, but not one of my all time favorites. I would put it in the same league as the first X-Men or first Spider-Man movies. Nice, fun origin stories but not genre busters. I look forward to the sequel.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Wow its at 95% at RT. The only other film like this that I can remember such a high rating is The Incredibles.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I understand the high rating, but I would bet that The Incredibles (and most Pixar films) was primarily getting it's percentages with 4 star reviews, and Iron Man is doing it with 3 star reviews. Same effect at RT. And deserved.

Iron Man is certainly better than each of the blockbuster event films from last summer (unless you count The Bourne Ultimatum), and it's been a while since there was a BIG FUN film.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I thought it was fun and a nice origin story, but I don't get comments like "best comic book movie ever" or "On the level of Spider-Man 2 and Batman Begins." It's clearly not, it was good--but light. They have a really solid ground to work with now and I look forward to at least one good sequel.

I'm surprised by this, you said you enjoyed the film, you don't think Favreau had anything at all to do with that? I, like a lot of people, had problems with the direction in Batman Begins, but I sure as hell didn't want the director replaced. ;)

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

Clearly to you, maybe. For me, it is on their level. I know I have no interest in watching Spider-Man 2 ever again. That whole series is sour now.

Superman and X2 have been the high water mark for me and Iron Man easily sits alongside those as one of the best comic book features I have ever seen.

I think what sets it apart from most other comic book films is that all involved in its production took it seriously. The material was well-written. Moreover, there is respect there. It looks great. The performances are uniformly excellent. The film is exuberant . Ghost Rider and Fantastic Four (both of them) pale in comparison -- they are trash. Batman Begins, while tonally the polar opposite, has the same exuberance -- great writing, design, and performances.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Favreau and Downey hit it out of the park. Best comic book movie I've seen since Batman Begins. More please. :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

For me, I enjoyed the directorial tone and effort much more by Nolan on Batman Begins, than Jon Favreau. There's this thing missing in Iron Man, it's the way the action scenes are cut together that don't quite provide tension and suspense given the amount of firepower and capabilities that the suit gives Tony Stark (plus the camera doesn't move as fluidly as I'd like), and even the early escape sequence wasn't shot or put together all that well. Favreau just doesn't quite have the pacing and editing panache to make really gripping cinema to my eyes. Nolan's just operating on a different playing field. I've loved to see what Alfonso Cuaron could do with a nice-sized budget on the next Iron Man.

I didn't like the "world" of Tony Stark when he interacts with the real world, it had the same blandness of the scenes from the Fantastic Four films, it just feels false. It's the little touches that separate films that feel like they are in their own headspace when you watch them, versus ones that are too concentrated in the principle characters, so much so that the rest of the backdrop feels inert and lifeless.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I agree about the look of the film, it just doesn't have any style. And I don't think Favreau is the greatest director, he's always been competent but uninspired. I kind of think he just got lucky when Swingers was a hit. Still, he's lightyears ahead of Tim Story IMO, and I know that he's not just a schlock for hire-- from the sound of it he takes great care with his projects.

Also, Favreau was on an episode of Monk a season or two ago as a dentist. He must have weighed 100 pounds more then. So props to him for losing all that weight and finding all that hair. :)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Batman Begins is the touchstone, but Iron Man was pretty much equal to Spiderman, in my opinion. I just got back from seeing, and it will hold a proud spot in my movie collection, right next to The Incredibles (on my superhero movie shelf.)

The cameo following the credits was great, although I knew what was coming, just what the Man said was awesome. We can only hope that Marvel will follow through on what that cameo promises.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I liked it.

Not as good as Superman, Batman Begins,X2, Spiderman2 or Superman Returns but better than most.

I agree with those saying its about even with the first Spiderman.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Best final line (not counting the post-credits scene I missed) ever. And completely keeping with the tone of the film. I genuinely did not see that coming.

This thing was structurally probably the best superhero movie ever. Every action scene gave you a reason to care about what was going on.The Swiss assistent in the cave, the boy and the father in Afghanistan, the obsolete power generator during the final fight sequence
And the pacing was dead on. Everything played out at exactly the speed it should. I didn't need wall-to-wall action because the stuff going on in between was actually more interesting.

Most importantly, as Chuck said, it was FUN. Last summer was full of bloated popcorn movies that took themselves to seriously. This movie kept it to just the right length and never stopped being fun. I liked every character in this film.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Just came back from the movie. Great effects! I liked the story, but I thought it could have spend a little more time in the final battle, or had more than one battle with Obadiah. Good movie to take the kids to.

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Don't we need a new thread to review the movie?

It was great. Fun, well paced and it made sense. So much better than Spiderman 3. I am just aggravated because the print or camera was dirty. I spend the extra money to go to a Muvico and still get hair, smudges and dirt. I saw the 10:00 show on the first day, so the print should be nearly perfect!!!

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez

[sarcasm]Great way of selling the movie![/sarcasm]

I refuse to watch someone else's camcorder recording of the movie (even if it's only that scene)! This movie needs to be seen on the big screen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks