-

Photo
- - - - -

Marvel Originals Series

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   German Ramirez

German Ramirez

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted May 03 2008 - 06:25 PM

The '90s X-Men, Spider-Man, Hulk, and Silver Surfer are going to be released in the UK. And the Iron Man series is already available there. Does anyone know if these series are going to make it to the states? I'm a big fan of cartoons from the '90s.

Here is a listing of the 'Marvel Originals Series' these DVDs are going to be released under. Amazon.co.uk: marvel original series: DVD

Edit update: Disney owns the distribution rights of these Marvel series in the states and they haven't announced any plans to do anything with them. They stopped releasing the Gargoyles series on DVD so I don't have much hope. Looks like modifying my DVD drive's firmware to be region free on my HTPC is going to come in handy. I'm hoping these DVDs are going to have extras.
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   David Levine

David Levine

Supporting Actor

• 502 posts

Posted May 04 2008 - 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Ramirez
Disney owns the distribution rights of these Marvel series in the states and they haven't announced any plans to do anything with them.

It's not that cut and dry. There are "behind the scenes" issues preventing Disney from doing anything with them right now.

It may clear up someday, but I'd buy the R2 ones.

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Nebiroth

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor

• 743 posts

Posted May 05 2008 - 01:25 AM

It's certainly excellent news that shows like X-Men and Spider-Man are finally going to come on DVD. I compiled my own sets from repeats on TV here, but it will be good to have them this way (and without onscreen logos etc). Of course, of those, the Fantastic Four (1990's) did make it onto DVD in r1, long out of print though.

Also nice to see that the 1960's Marvels are being finished with the release of the Hulk series. The others are already out on DVD - from another label - such as Thor and Captain America, but be warned: they have been editted to remove the vast number of "bumpers" and episode recaps. The end result is more coherent and has fewer annoying breaks, but if you're like me, you'd probably rather have seen the original work "as broadcast".

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   mrowley

mrowley

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted May 05 2008 - 02:01 AM

Quote:
Also nice to see that the 1960's Marvels are being finished with the release of the Hulk series. The others are already out on DVD - from another label - such as Thor and Captain America, but be warned: they have been editted to remove the vast number of "bumpers" and episode recaps. The end result is more coherent and has fewer annoying breaks, but if you're like me, you'd probably rather have seen the original work "as broadcast".

I'm sorry, but have I missed something??? Where & from whom are the Iron Man and Capt. America 1960's series available from? I've been on the lookout for those for ages.

Thanks,
Mike

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Nebiroth

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor

• 743 posts

Posted May 05 2008 - 02:52 AM

Here in the UK! They're released by Jetix films.

Captain America:

Amazon.co.uk: Captain America - The Complete Series: DVD

Iron Man:

Amazon.co.uk: Iron Man - The Complete Series: DVD

and dead cheap, too.

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,895 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 05 2008 - 05:37 AM

I might have to order those up! I was jsut over there too, and didn't notice them in the stores. Arrrrgh! Could of saved on shipping. :S

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Daryl L

Daryl L

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted May 05 2008 - 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Levine
It's not that cut and dry. There are "behind the scenes" issues preventing Disney from doing anything with them right now.

It may clear up someday, but I'd buy the R2 ones.
I think it may have already been cleared up. Disney stopped airing all the marvel cartoons when the issue arose. But about 3 to 4 weeks ago they started showing the 1992 version of Spider-man again and just last night showed 6 Iron Man episodes and Iron Man will be on next weekend also. Hopefully US releases will follow soon. I recently pre-ordered the 92's Spider-man Mutant Agenda Saga being released in Canada soon. Other releases of The Hulk, Spider-Woman, Fantastic Four among others are being released in Canada soon also.
Daryl L 
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D
2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
15" LED Glossy Widescreen
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256MB GDDR3 Vram

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   David Levine

David Levine

Supporting Actor

• 502 posts

Posted May 05 2008 - 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl L
I recently pre-ordered the 92's Spider-man Mutant Agenda Saga being released in Canada soon. Other releases of The Hulk, Spider-Woman, Fantastic Four among others are being released in Canada soon also.

Those ones, I believe, fall into a bit of a loophole/nebulous area. They are strictly re-releases of particular sets that came out on VHS - all the way down to using the exact same artwork.

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,946 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted May 05 2008 - 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Levine
Those ones, I believe, fall into a bit of a loophole/nebulous area. They are strictly re-releases of particular sets that came out on VHS - all the way down to using the exact same artwork.

Yeah, they're exactly the same as the old "Disney-size" boxed VHS releases from Prism back in the '80s/early '90s and presumably use the very same dubbing masters, too (i.e. not remastered for DVD).

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Daryl L

Daryl L

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 08:33 AM

Yep I knew the Canadian releases were from the VHS releases. But the Phenix Saga is my fav X-Men story arc and The Mutant Agenda is my fav Spider-man story arc (followed closely by the Sins of the Father arc). Still, if Disney stopped airing Marvel cartoons when the rights issue arose and now they've begun airing Spider-man and Iron man the rights issue must have been resolved. I just assumed the rights issue covered any and all video airing and publishing issues. The problem now is when will Disney (who I think owns Saban which I'm guessing has the Marvel rights) will get off their butts and put them out on DVD in the US. Speed or promptness is definitely not Disney's strong suit. Posted Image All this is assumption and I could be 100% wrong.
Daryl L 
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D
2GB Ram, 160GB HDD

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Jon F.

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl L
...they've begun airing Spider-Man and Iron man the rights issue must have been resolved.

Home Video rights and the rights to air a show on television are two entirely different things so the shows airing on TOON DISNEY means nothing. Check out this post from 'BCI Guy' at the He-Man.org forums:

He-Man.org Forums - View Single Post - Possible Smurfs dvd news at Comicon...

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Daryl L

Daryl L

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted May 08 2008 - 08:11 AM

Gotcha
Daryl L 
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D
2GB Ram, 160GB HDD

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Daryl L

Daryl L

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted May 14 2008 - 08:32 AM

Just in case nobody noticed. Disney started airing "Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends" again weekdays at 8 pm EST on Toon Disney beginning last night May 13.
Daryl L 
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D
2GB Ram, 160GB HDD

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow