What's new

Marvel Originals Series (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Germán Ramirez
The '90s X-Men, Spider-Man, Hulk, and Silver Surfer are going to be released in the UK. And the Iron Man series is already available there. Does anyone know if these series are going to make it to the states? I'm a big fan of cartoons from the '90s.

Here is a listing of the 'Marvel Originals Series' these DVDs are going to be released under. Amazon.co.uk: marvel original series: DVD

Edit update: Disney owns the distribution rights of these Marvel series in the states and they haven't announced any plans to do anything with them. They stopped releasing the Gargoyles series on DVD so I don't have much hope. Looks like modifying my DVD drive's firmware to be region free on my HTPC is going to come in handy. I'm hoping these DVDs are going to have extras.

David Levine

Supporting Actor

It's not that cut and dry. There are "behind the scenes" issues preventing Disney from doing anything with them right now.

It may clear up someday, but I'd buy the R2 ones.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
It's certainly excellent news that shows like X-Men and Spider-Man are finally going to come on DVD. I compiled my own sets from repeats on TV here, but it will be good to have them this way (and without onscreen logos etc). Of course, of those, the Fantastic Four (1990's) did make it onto DVD in r1, long out of print though.

Also nice to see that the 1960's Marvels are being finished with the release of the Hulk series. The others are already out on DVD - from another label - such as Thor and Captain America, but be warned: they have been editted to remove the vast number of "bumpers" and episode recaps. The end result is more coherent and has fewer annoying breaks, but if you're like me, you'd probably rather have seen the original work "as broadcast".

mrowley

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Rowley

I'm sorry, but have I missed something??? Where & from whom are the Iron Man and Capt. America 1960's series available from? I've been on the lookout for those for ages.

Thanks,
Mike

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I might have to order those up! I was jsut over there too, and didn't notice them in the stores. Arrrrgh! Could of saved on shipping. :S

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
I think it may have already been cleared up. Disney stopped airing all the marvel cartoons when the issue arose. But about 3 to 4 weeks ago they started showing the 1992 version of Spider-man again and just last night showed 6 Iron Man episodes and Iron Man will be on next weekend also. Hopefully US releases will follow soon. I recently pre-ordered the 92's Spider-man Mutant Agenda Saga being released in Canada soon. Other releases of The Hulk, Spider-Woman, Fantastic Four among others are being released in Canada soon also.

David Levine

Supporting Actor

Those ones, I believe, fall into a bit of a loophole/nebulous area. They are strictly re-releases of particular sets that came out on VHS - all the way down to using the exact same artwork.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, they're exactly the same as the old "Disney-size" boxed VHS releases from Prism back in the '80s/early '90s and presumably use the very same dubbing masters, too (i.e. not remastered for DVD).

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Yep I knew the Canadian releases were from the VHS releases. But the Phenix Saga is my fav X-Men story arc and The Mutant Agenda is my fav Spider-man story arc (followed closely by the Sins of the Father arc). Still, if Disney stopped airing Marvel cartoons when the rights issue arose and now they've begun airing Spider-man and Iron man the rights issue must have been resolved. I just assumed the rights issue covered any and all video airing and publishing issues. The problem now is when will Disney (who I think owns Saban which I'm guessing has the Marvel rights) will get off their butts and put them out on DVD in the US. Speed or promptness is definitely not Disney's strong suit. :) All this is assumption and I could be 100% wrong.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Just in case nobody noticed. Disney started airing "Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends" again weekdays at 8 pm EST on Toon Disney beginning last night May 13.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks