Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Howard Hawks THE BIG SKY (1952)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted April 30 2008 - 12:05 PM

Is this owned (under license/distribution rights) by Warner Bros?

I see that it was released as a Special Edition by a third party studio in R2/France, though according to Gary's screen caps at DVD Beaver, it's seriously lacking in the image dept.

2008 will finally give us The Gunfighter as well as underrated classics like The Law and Jake Wade and other great westerns that we've been patiently waiting. Does anyone have any further info regarding this more 'prominent' title?

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted May 01 2008 - 01:40 AM

Good question. This is one of the rare Hawks' films that I have never seen.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   dany

dany

Supporting Actor

• 694 posts

Posted May 01 2008 - 01:55 AM

One of my fav's with Dewey Martin. I think it was one of his first films. I belive Dewey is still alive but long gone from the business.
Get In My Belly.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted May 01 2008 - 01:58 AM

Whomever owns THE BIG SKY, release it to DVD. The film is conspicuous by its absence.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted May 01 2008 - 02:53 AM

WB owns THE BIG SKY by virtue of their ownership of the RKO library. For many years, it was listed as "forthcoming" on laserdisc but it never happened--possibly because 20 minutes were missing from the original running time. I forget if TCM shows the complete print now. It's not very good but MGM/UA is releasing THE WAY WEST in a couple of weeks with Kirk Douglas in another adaptation of A.B. Guthrie, jr.
Charles Hoyt

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted May 01 2008 - 06:02 AM

TCM does show the complete print but I believe parts are sourced from inferior 16mm prints and it's quite obvious by the dropout in quality. Perhaps it's absence on home video could be the result of the condition of surviving elements?

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Rod J

Rod J

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted May 02 2008 - 10:00 AM

"The Big Sky" is available in France (R2) as "La Captive aux yeux clairs" -the print may not be perfect but it's quite watchable (running time 122 minutes (PAL)).

éditions montparnasse offers a lot of RKO titles that are apparently "unsuitable" for US release.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,498 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted May 02 2008 - 11:30 AM

A few years back in a Warner chat I'm sure I can remember them talking about a Howard Hawks Box Set with; "The Spirit Of St. Louis" "Land Of The Pharaohs" "The Big Sky" & a few others. It didn't quite work out like that, & it looks like "The Big Sky" is the only no show.

#9 of 11 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,075 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 02 2008 - 12:36 PM

This is one of Hawk's best films and is really underrated by critics and movie fans alike, but unfortunately, I believe Warner has some serious issues with the film elements.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,914 posts

Posted May 02 2008 - 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Batson
A few years back in a Warner chat I'm sure I can remember them talking about a Howard Hawks Box Set with; "The Spirit Of St. Louis" "Land Of The Pharaohs" "The Big Sky" & a few others. It didn't quite work out like that, & it looks like "The Big Sky" is the only no show.
"The Spirit Of St. Louis" is Billy Wilder, not Howard Hawks. Warners must have been planning to use a different movie.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,498 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted May 03 2008 - 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin9
"The Spirit Of St. Louis" is Bily Wilder, not Howard Hawks. Warners must have been planning to use a different movie.

Oops....what was I thinking of, it was late at night.

Forum Nav Content I Follow