What's new

Justice League S1 Announced for Blu-Ray 8/19 (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I love this show. I've never seen my wife get into anything animated until she watched a couple episodes of this show. After a viewing or two, she was hooked. I'll definitely be picking this up.

Eric F

Screenwriter
It would have been nicer if they started with Batman:TAS and Superman:TAS first, but I bet they thought that nobody would want to see HD "cartoons" in 4:3.:frowning:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Eric, my guess is Warner felt there is a bigger fan base for a collection of heroes than there is for one singular hero. But now that we know they have the DC Comics TV Universe on their Blu Ray radar, I bet it won't be "too long" until we see all of it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
was this composed for wide screen?

ok never mind it was aired full screen and widescreen.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Worth the upgrade to finally get the correct aspect ratio for these episodes. Based on how this set looks in comparison to the previous release will determine if I upgrade the other seasons. I love the animated DCU and would definitely upgrade my BTAS sets but I'm not quite sure about the others.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
The only Timm/Diniverse DC Animated box sets I don't own at this point are the pre-JLU Justice League seasons and the last two Batman Beyond seasons, so this is an easy buy. Hopefully it sells a lot better than the other TV sets released so far on Blu, so that WB will open the floodgates.

As for being in greater that NTSC resolution, wouldn't something like this originate on film, or are animated shows like this done solely in the digital realm
in this day and age?

Eric F

Screenwriter
As I understand it, Batman:TAS and Superman:TAS were done on film so it should be fine for HD, they just have to clean up the original prints. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is a prime example- it was meant to be a Direct to Video release and because of the series success was released to the theaters in its final season.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I never picked this up on DVD as well...meant too. You know, I have not bought a Blu-ray disc in a few months. But i think that will change after this summer.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Very good news.

Hope they go ahead & re-release B:TAS and S:TAS in Blu-ray as well. Even though they are 4x3, I'm sure the fan base will buy on Blu-ray any way. I want them all on BD.

Is this the first official catalog TV series to be released on BD? Smallville and Weeds don't count as they premiered on BluRay and SD at the same time. If so, I think this means we'll be seeing LOTs more of existing shows re-released on BD soon (Lost seasons 1 & 2, 24, etc)

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
I will definitely pick this up. Two things I'd love for the release: 1) Widescreen (looks better when cropped) and 2) Edit the two parters into one 40 minute episode each (as originally aired). Having the episodes split in two with "to be continued..." seems a little out of place since I believe most will watch each two-parter in one sitting. Just my 2 cents...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

As far as I can tell, the original premiere of each episode was only 30 minutes, not 60. Wikipedia's listing backs this up. Each story always had the To Be Continued tag in the middle and were designed as two part episodes.

Exceptions in S1 being the 3 part pilot and 3 part finale. (S2 began airing both episoded back to back, though I'm still sure they were two separate episodes with two different production numbers.)

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
...and of course Wikipedia is gospel :) But, checking epguides.com it appears that they were originally aired as 30 min. episodes separated by a week. This does not discount the fact that Cartoon Network did air them as combined hour (or 90 minutes for the first and last episode) long episodes at some point (I remember watching them this way). I didn't get into JL until later on its life and just assumed that was how they first aired. And it appears that season two episodes were aired together on the same day from the get go.

Regardless, I'd much prefer the episodes to be presented as complete stories as opposed to split episodes, but I can understand the wish to keep them as originally aired.

mike.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

And most, if not all, special two hour episodes of other series have been split to fit into one hour time slots for syndication purposes. Just because some people remember the episodes in this form does not mean it is the way the creators intended them to be.

Regardless, I think we-finally-agree JL S1 was originally aired, with some exceptions, as half hour shows, not one complete story spanning an hour.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
I certainly concede the fact that season one of JL was aired as half hour episodes with the conclusion of each story the following week. Ya just can't argue with gospel, y'know! :laugh:

I'd be very interested to see if Timm and co. are on record as to what they prefer for the presentation of the episodes - separated or merged into one. I don't have any links to interviews stating it one way or the other and I'd like to know the facts of the matter. Just because each episode technically has a separate production number doesn't mean that each two-part episode was meant to be seen in two parts and not as a single entity.

mike.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I don't have Bluray yet, but other than the correct aspect ratio finally, what would be the difference between the HD version and let's say upscaled SD version via HDMI to 1080i?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks