Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sound proof curtains.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#21 of 37 OFFLINE   Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted October 26 2008 - 01:00 AM

Quote:
Which of these darker curtains kept out the most sound?
Whoops, sorry for ignoring this thread for so long. I shot my load and then needed some rest from this topic, I guess.

Unfortunately, "sound" is not something these curtains block as well as light; the Robert Eclipse that I finally settled on do block light completely, but block sound less so.

I think you'd need to either find the suede (heavier) curtains, or layer these curtains in sets of one or two together on one or two poles (heavy!) in order to successfully block sound.

That said, I am actually finding that the Robert Eclipse do a good job of minimizing sound. But I still tend to hear (a little bit of) sound thru them.

Layering heavier curtains would be the simple, cheap trick, I think.

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney

#22 of 37 OFFLINE   Martino

Martino

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts
  • LocationSanta Clara, CA

Posted October 28 2008 - 08:12 AM

"If I knew how to post images to this thread, I'd lay it out for you. Only the Robert Eclipse, by (yech!) Ellery Homestyles, available at JCPenney, actually blocks the light like a real black out curtain! "

Here is the link for Robert Eclipse Black-out Panels that includes a picture...and it comes in black...

#23 of 37 OFFLINE   Constance

Constance

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted September 24 2009 - 06:20 AM

Ok, I'm on a similar problem.Here's some theater info.. Black-out is easy, but you may need to have them made.(relax...and DON"T buy a machine.) Yellow pages, theatrical supply. If you are smalltown, Superior Specialties or Norcosco online. (a look will clue you in to what I'm talking about.) The product is called Duvetyne or camo cloth. 60'' width. Ask them to send you a swatch. Duvetyne is cheapest, but often needs steaming , once they're up,as they wrinkle. Most theaters do velvet for this reason. If they're gonna STAY up, you'll be fine.
Look for any  drycleaner or shop that says "alterations" in the window. If you know your hanging system options, and your final size, somebody can do it.It's just a big pillowcase.
But sound..... check out the clear strip vinyl. google  soundcurtain
Anybody finds a pre-made, SHARE!

#24 of 37 OFFLINE   Constance

Constance

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted September 24 2009 - 06:22 AM

I'm looking at industrial....www.enoisecontrol.com/sound-curtains.

#25 of 37 OFFLINE   anonyy

anonyy

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted September 29 2009 - 10:56 PM

Hi everyone i joined today specifically because of a NOISE problem i have with a haulage yard at the back of my flat i live on 2nd floor it is horrendous especially at night, i have only been here 7 weeks and had to move because of NOISEY neighbours so naturally i was shocked to see this problem, and feel i have swapped one type of noise for another i tried to get used to it but i just dont know, there are some neighbours on my level been living here for 18 years i dont know how they do it.

i have looked a few places on the net for curtains that are lined with thermal claiming to reduce noise, some people comment that its ok but i dont think they are strong enough for my needs.  so i came across this site about these curtains for home theatres etc.

i live in England so i am in desperate need to do something to reduce this ridiculous noise can anyone recommend anything for my problem.  i have 90x 90 inch curtains which are about 10 inches too long but they were cheap and very thin, so thats why i bought them. i hope someone can recommend something here?

Many Thanks

Janet

#26 of 37 OFFLINE   gilbertbuttos

gilbertbuttos

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted May 24 2010 - 06:37 PM

I have been planning to soundproof my home for ages.
I’ve heard that QuietRock is excellent for soundproofing walls.
Saw this installed during an HGTV show called Holmes on Homes.
Seemed to do the trick on the walls.
I was going through their site and found this http://www.quietrock.com/lowes
It is just $35 and that is a good deal.  I’m planning to use quietglue which is like greenglue but it’s about 20% cheaper.
It is a good option

#27 of 37 OFFLINE   VictorSee

VictorSee

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted May 27 2010 - 09:38 PM

I personally don't see curtains as the best solution for you. In my theatre room I use roman blinds in blackout design to prevent sunlight from entering the room but also to provide sound proofing, but also for their clean look and to avoid dust pilling up in curtains. Here is an interesting resource I found on roman blinds that I believe will help you decide http://www.hidenseek.me/?p=373

#28 of 37 OFFLINE   yaoming986

yaoming986

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted June 01 2010 - 02:09 AM

i have looked a few places on the net for curtains that are lined with thermal claiming to reduce noise, some people comment that its ok but i dont think they are strong enough for my needs.  so i came across this site about these curtains for home theatres etwholesale Ed-Hardy

#29 of 37 OFFLINE   milkyway

milkyway

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted April 18 2011 - 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Fernalfer 

Does anyone know where i can find blackout sound proof curtains? my room has a rear, side and front wall, but the right side is open to where the kids play area is.

I wanted to run a curtain from the front wall to the back wall on the right side to close the room off. but also wanted it to be blackout and as sound proof as can be.

Does anyone know where i can get such an item?

Personally i dont recommend curtains to block out noise because recently i just installed my blackout curtain from Curtain and i found that they cannot really block out sound but block out lights only.

I think you should get a soundproof window with a nice blackout curtain.

#30 of 37 OFFLINE   Lee99

Lee99

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted June 15 2011 - 02:25 PM

Recently, i installed my room's soundproof curtain with http://www.singaporecurtains.com/rates.html
and it helps alot by reducing heat and noise from my noisy neighbour's mahjong session in the middle of the night Posted Image

#31 of 37 OFFLINE   skyebird

skyebird

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 13 2012 - 12:08 AM

Yes, I can. After looking at some products online, I found that the acoustical soundproofing material is like eggshell mattres toppers. The reason is because maximizing surface area is key to sound absorption. My dilemma was that one of my business partners actually owns a private mailbox center across the street from a fire station. The 400 mailboxes that face it act like a sound plate on a grand piano, amplifying the sound to epic proportions. The sound is breathtakingly loud, not to mention annoying when your trying to carry on a conversation. This place doubles as a WIFI internet cafe, so customers are exposed to extreme sound waves. This presents an interesting challenge, considering the minimal space she has to conduct business. But I am up for it, for I have a secret weapon . So I will go to Walmart to get 3 or 4 mattress toppers, and anchor it to black velvet material. I think it will work. The only problem I foresee is that the material is difficult to collapse; I need to get it thick enough to be effective but thin enough to push out of the way when she places the mail in the boxes. We shall see. I will keep anybody watching this thread informed as to the progress. Aloha from Hilo, Hawaii! Skye Stout Chief Tech Engineer Skybird

#32 of 37 OFFLINE   jljmc

jljmc

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 30 2012 - 11:46 AM

http://www.acoustic-...est_results.php These curtains are made with the same stuff (mass loaded vinyl) that is put in the soundproofing walls. AWESOME!

#33 of 37 OFFLINE   katie34k

katie34k

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 30 2012 - 05:49 PM

My suggestion would be to go to the fabric store or even Walmart and look at the flannel backed vinyl like you use for putting on a kitchen or picnic table. You could use this between 2 regular curtains. The sound thing isn't blocked by thickness- it is blocked by the vibration not being transferred from one surface to the next. When building a sound proof wall you actually make 2 walls back to back that don't touch so they won't transfer the vibration of the sound from one surface to the other. This stuff is dense with the flannel and would also be as close to blackening as you can get too and then you can pick a regular curtain of any price to match the room decor on each side. Just an idea and it comes pretty wide. You will find it on rolls or if you just want to try out the idea you can even buy a flannel backed table cloth in Walmart to see the effect for about $5 in the party supply area. Hope this help. Katie

#34 of 37 OFFLINE   barbaradortch

barbaradortch

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 02 2012 - 10:34 AM

Thanks for the discussion of qualities of sound proof curtains. I was looking for something to allow me to sleep longer despite the morning street noise. I was following the JCPenney link above but, alas, the product ran out at JC Penney online. Short of building a whole new sound proof wall, I have researched and, yes of course, thick sound absorbing curtains will remove some noise (say 40% or so), which could help you sleep better. I found some Amazon link on this page http://soundproofcur...m_curtains.html Incidentally, this page also gives an argument for larger (wider) curtains, not just thicker, to remove more street noise. Hope that helps someone else too.

#35 of 37 OFFLINE   Eminem albums

Eminem albums

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 22 2012 - 07:49 PM

Thanks for new information for me! I feel quite satisfied that i've joined this site! http://albums.eminem.in/

#36 of 37 OFFLINE   munchman

munchman

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted May 12 2012 - 02:48 AM

I was curious to know if you guys found what you're looking for. I know about a product that does both sound/thermal near 100% but it's a blind, not a curtain.

#37 of 37 OFFLINE   test

test

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted June 14 2012 - 02:00 AM

what is the blind you are speaking of?