What's new

How The West Was Won, Errol Flynn, Warner Westerns - 26/08/08 (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought Warner wasn't releasing any classics this year?;)

They are all mine, finally have "The Law and Jake Wade" and "Rocky Mountain" on DVD.

Crawdaddy

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
What the monkey?! Only FOUR Errol Flynn films to be released in the boxset? Just complaining ONLY due to the fact both Volume 1 & 2 had five films each. Oh, and the release continuity type jobby. So I take it this is essentially Volume 3 in a sense for him? Disappointed they didn't keep it in the line like I mentioned with the previous two volumes with five films.
Don't worry, I'll be buying it anyway!:P
Here's to also hoping WB shall be using thinpaks/slimline cases like Errol Flynn Volume 2 has. My request for the essential Volume 4: (World War II themed, I guess. And more probably.)

(Actiony)
Desperate Journey
Edge of Darkness
Northern Pursuit
Uncertain Glory
Silver River (Should've been released in the Western set!)
Adventures of Captain Fabian

There are of course many other films of his I'd readily purchase, including the above. Obviously WB will be better being more diversified with the next Volume for Mr. Flynn. I wouldn't even mind a 6-film boxset. Of course with his more actiony films mixed with dramas. WB, release more Errol Flynn on DVD for me to buy dammit!:D

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Warners is really going to town on these Ultimate Collector's Editions which is awesome.

I hope I didn't confuse people with the date of release. I just realised that you guys write it the other way :laugh:

There was a great documentary done on Errol Flynn here in Australia. It was called Tasmanian Devil: The Fast and Furious Life of Errol Flynn. I might pick up a copy to compliment the set in August.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Is it available on ezydvd? I'd be able to play it on my Oppo 971H.:cool:

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Any word on whether the movie will be presented in the Smilebox process? If they're talking about "all its Cinerama glory", you gotta show it on the curve! I also hope they didn't remove the join lines - they're a part of Cinerama too.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Will be pre-ordering HWWW, the Flynn westerns and Many Rivers to Cross for sure!!!! Wonderful news!!! :)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Ditto on How the West Was Won on Blu-ray. :D

I might pick up the Flynn set if I can't get Virginia City by itself

I'll pass on the other Westerns, most of them I've seen but none of which I need to own. The Stalking Moon looks intriguing though.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Although i am a huge Flynn fan, I think I will pass on this set. The inclusion of Silver River would have made it a must-have, but I do not really need the ones they included. I will get HTWWW, Jake Wade(!) and Many Rivers to Cross.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

"in all its Cinerama 70mm glory"?????

How The West Was Won was not filmed in 70mm Cinerama (except for a few scenes in 70mm Ultra Panavision).

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
That's a bit disappointing. For $60 I would've thought two copies of the film on SD-DVD UCE would've been entirely possible.

My guess is that the smilebox version would use SD-DVD resolution more efficiently than a letterboxed version. But I agree it would require at least an extra disc, or side.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Not to push the thread off-topic, but can a Blu-Ray player be hooked up to a standard TV via its RCA-style plugs? I want the smilebox version of HTWWW, but I have no plans to upgrade my vintage 1994 35" television for quite a few years yet.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
When it comes to the 'classics', this is (to my mind) the most exciting announcement from any studio in a very long time. Even in these times of a terrible economy, retail stores closing in record numbers, and consumer ennui and apathy, a bold initiative like this is extraordinary and encouraging.

Bravo, Warner, Bravo!

Indeed a blu-ray player can be hooked up to any television through traditional RCA cables.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Great news!
Looks like I'm going to spend almost a $100 on How the West Was Won alone. I paid to see the Cinerama restoration three times at the Arclight in September 2003. One of the best cinematic experiences I've had. HTWWW is more than just a western, it's also an inspired and inspiring film. A documentary was also shown with the "smilebox" introduced by the director. I also toured the lab where the restoration was done and the special screening room which they built to facilitate the restoration, complete with three projectors.

I welcome the other western releases, particularly John Sturges' THE LAW AND JAKE WADE, with its Death Valley landscapes in Technicolor and Vista Vision; Robert Mulligan's vastly under-rated THE STALKING MOON which proves that the western can also be a hair-raising thriller; and Anthony Mann's remake of CIMARRON with its iconic Americana imagery and startling widescreen compositions.

These are all very strong films and should prove to be very popular releases. Seriously good film making here, and those who are not fans of westerns will find much to enjoy and appreciate in these superior, state-of-the-art films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks