Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

How The West Was Won, Errol Flynn, Warner Westerns - 26/08/08

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
157 replies to this topic

#1 of 158 OFFLINE   BethHarrison

BethHarrison

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted April 27 2008 - 10:15 PM

From the Bits.....

Quote:
In announcement news this morning, Warner has set a 2-disc How the West was Won: Special Edition for release on 8/26. The film is presented in all its Cinerama 70mm glory, along with audio commentary by film historians, the vintage The Making of How the West was Won featurette, the new Cinerama Adventure documentary and more. We expect both DVD and Blu-ray editions to be available. Also on the way to DVD on 8/26 are The Law and Jake Wade, Escape from Fort Bravo, Many Rivers to Cross, Saddle the Wind, Cimarron (1960) and The Stalking Moon, as well as the Errol Flynn: The Warner Westerns Collection box set (containing Virginia City, San Antonio, Rocky Mountain and Montana).

I will be grabbing all of these.

#2 of 158 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,838 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 27 2008 - 10:25 PM

I thought Warner wasn't releasing any classics this year?Posted Image

They are all mine, finally have "The Law and Jake Wade" and "Rocky Mountain" on DVD.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 158 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted April 27 2008 - 10:53 PM

What the monkey?! Only FOUR Errol Flynn films to be released in the boxset? Just complaining ONLY due to the fact both Volume 1 & 2 had five films each. Oh, and the release continuity type jobby. So I take it this is essentially Volume 3 in a sense for him? Disappointed they didn't keep it in the line like I mentioned with the previous two volumes with five films.
Don't worry, I'll be buying it anyway!Posted Image
Here's to also hoping WB shall be using thinpaks/slimline cases like Errol Flynn Volume 2 has. My request for the essential Volume 4: (World War II themed, I guess. And more probably.)

(Actiony)
Desperate Journey
Edge of Darkness
Northern Pursuit
Uncertain Glory
Silver River (Should've been released in the Western set!)
Adventures of Captain Fabian

There are of course many other films of his I'd readily purchase, including the above. Obviously WB will be better being more diversified with the next Volume for Mr. Flynn. I wouldn't even mind a 6-film boxset. Of course with his more actiony films mixed with dramas. WB, release more Errol Flynn on DVD for me to buy dammit!Posted Image

#4 of 158 OFFLINE   BethHarrison

BethHarrison

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted April 27 2008 - 11:25 PM

Warners is really going to town on these Ultimate Collector's Editions which is awesome.

I hope I didn't confuse people with the date of release. I just realised that you guys write it the other way Posted Image

There was a great documentary done on Errol Flynn here in Australia. It was called Tasmanian Devil: The Fast and Furious Life of Errol Flynn. I might pick up a copy to compliment the set in August.

#5 of 158 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted April 27 2008 - 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarrison
Warners is really going to town on these Ultimate Collector's Editions which is awesome.

I hope I didn't confuse people with the date of release. I just realised that you guys write it the other way Posted Image

There was a great documentary done on Errol Flynn here in Australia. It was called Tasmanian Devil: The Fast and Furious Life of Errol Flynn. I might pick up a copy to compliment the set in August.
Is it available on ezydvd? I'd be able to play it on my Oppo 971H.Posted Image

#6 of 158 OFFLINE   BethHarrison

BethHarrison

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted April 28 2008 - 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_R
Is it available on ezydvd? I'd be able to play it on my Oppo 971H.Posted Image

Certainly is!!! $A29.95

#7 of 158 OFFLINE   Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig

Second Unit

• 440 posts
  • LocationWeehawken, NJ

Posted April 28 2008 - 12:10 AM

Any word on whether the movie will be presented in the Smilebox process? If they're talking about "all its Cinerama glory", you gotta show it on the curve! I also hope they didn't remove the join lines - they're a part of Cinerama too.

#8 of 158 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted April 28 2008 - 01:08 AM

Will be pre-ordering HWWW, the Flynn westerns and Many Rivers to Cross for sure!!!! Wonderful news!!! Posted Image
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#9 of 158 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,445 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 28 2008 - 01:13 AM

HOW THE WEST WAS WON on Blu-ray: couldn't be happier.

#10 of 158 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted April 28 2008 - 02:00 AM

Ditto on How the West Was Won on Blu-ray. Posted Image

I might pick up the Flynn set if I can't get Virginia City by itself

I'll pass on the other Westerns, most of them I've seen but none of which I need to own. The Stalking Moon looks intriguing though.

Death before Streaming!

#11 of 158 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Screenwriter

• 1,541 posts

Posted April 28 2008 - 02:07 AM

Although i am a huge Flynn fan, I think I will pass on this set. The inclusion of Silver River would have made it a must-have, but I do not really need the ones they included. I will get HTWWW, Jake Wade(!) and Many Rivers to Cross.

#12 of 158 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,354 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted April 28 2008 - 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarrison
From the Bits.....
In announcement news this morning, Warner has set a 2-disc How the West was Won: Special Edition for release on 8/26. The film is presented in all its Cinerama 70mm glory, along with audio commentary by film historians, the vintage The Making of How the West was Won featurette, the new Cinerama Adventure documentary and more. We expect both DVD and Blu-ray editions to be available. Also on the way to DVD on 8/26 are The Law and Jake Wade, Escape from Fort Bravo, Many Rivers to Cross, Saddle the Wind, Cimarron (1960) and The Stalking Moon, as well as the Errol Flynn: The Warner Westerns Collection box set (containing Virginia City, San Antonio, Rocky Mountain and Montana).

I will be grabbing all of these.

"in all its Cinerama 70mm glory"?????

How The West Was Won was not filmed in 70mm Cinerama (except for a few scenes in 70mm Ultra Panavision).

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#13 of 158 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted April 28 2008 - 02:10 AM

I'll get How the West Was Won UCE and the Warner Western Classics Collection.

I wonder if HTWWW will include both a regular letterboxed, and the smileboxed version?

Quote:
Any word on whether the movie will be presented in the Smilebox process? If they're talking about "all its Cinerama glory", you gotta show it on the curve! I also hope they didn't remove the join lines - they're a part of Cinerama too.

The press release says:
Quote:
Following several years of careful development, the technicians at Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging perfected a technology that could finally eliminate the ‘join lines,’ and unify the images into a superb viewing experience that captures the essence of the production’s initial road show exhibitions, with an aspect ratio of 2.89:1.

I thought the Cinerama aspect ratio was 2.59:1? Does it become 2.89:1 after smile boxed?

If this page is anything to go by the join lines will be gone:
HP Labs - Movie makeover : HP and Warner Bros. give old movies new life

Posted Image

#14 of 158 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted April 28 2008 - 02:21 AM

According to DVDTimes the Smilebox version will be exclusive to the Blu-ray disc. Maybe due to more space being available.

Quote:
Arriving day-and-date with the new DVD release, the Blu-ray release offers an exclusive in the form of the “SmileBox” version of the film which presents the image with a unique curvature that virtually recreates the true Cinerama® experience in a home theater. This Blu-ray Edition comes with a special Digi-book packaging featuring 32-pages of rare press materials and behind-the-scenes photos.

DVD Times - How The West Won (US BD) in August
Death before Streaming!

#15 of 158 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted April 28 2008 - 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K
According to DVDTimes the Smilebox version will be exclusive to the Blu-ray disc. Maybe due to more space being available.
That's a bit disappointing. For $60 I would've thought two copies of the film on SD-DVD UCE would've been entirely possible.

My guess is that the smilebox version would use SD-DVD resolution more efficiently than a letterboxed version. But I agree it would require at least an extra disc, or side.

#16 of 158 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,857 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted April 28 2008 - 03:09 AM

Looks like How The West Was Won will push me into getting a Blu-ray player!

#17 of 158 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted April 28 2008 - 03:21 AM

Not to push the thread off-topic, but can a Blu-Ray player be hooked up to a standard TV via its RCA-style plugs? I want the smilebox version of HTWWW, but I have no plans to upgrade my vintage 1994 35" television for quite a few years yet.

#18 of 158 OFFLINE   Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted April 28 2008 - 03:30 AM

When it comes to the 'classics', this is (to my mind) the most exciting announcement from any studio in a very long time. Even in these times of a terrible economy, retail stores closing in record numbers, and consumer ennui and apathy, a bold initiative like this is extraordinary and encouraging.

Bravo, Warner, Bravo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Ray
Not to push the thread off-topic, but can a Blu-Ray player be hooked up to a standard TV via its RCA-style plugs? I want the smilebox version of HTWWW, but I have no plans to upgrade my vintage 1994 35" television for quite a few years yet.

Indeed a blu-ray player can be hooked up to any television through traditional RCA cables.

#19 of 158 OFFLINE   Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig

Second Unit

• 440 posts
  • LocationWeehawken, NJ

Posted April 28 2008 - 03:44 AM

I was on the Blu-Ray fence for a long time, but the Smilebox edition of "How the West Was Won" has just knocked me off of it.

#20 of 158 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted April 28 2008 - 06:03 AM

Great news!
Looks like I'm going to spend almost a $100 on How the West Was Won alone. I paid to see the Cinerama restoration three times at the Arclight in September 2003. One of the best cinematic experiences I've had. HTWWW is more than just a western, it's also an inspired and inspiring film. A documentary was also shown with the "smilebox" introduced by the director. I also toured the lab where the restoration was done and the special screening room which they built to facilitate the restoration, complete with three projectors.

I welcome the other western releases, particularly John Sturges' THE LAW AND JAKE WADE, with its Death Valley landscapes in Technicolor and Vista Vision; Robert Mulligan's vastly under-rated THE STALKING MOON which proves that the western can also be a hair-raising thriller; and Anthony Mann's remake of CIMARRON with its iconic Americana imagery and startling widescreen compositions.

These are all very strong films and should prove to be very popular releases. Seriously good film making here, and those who are not fans of westerns will find much to enjoy and appreciate in these superior, state-of-the-art films.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow