What's new

Droning subwoofers. (1 Viewer)

Raymond lee Leggs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Raymond Lee Leggs
why do most of the subs I have heard make loud droning sounds on music but on movies?

I like lot of elecronic based music and some acoustic. well a lot more acoustic and rock music lately I am going through a girl rocker/ country/Acoustic Phase along with the dance music.

The only standalone Sub that didn't Drone badly is the Used Audio source sub that they have at My local pawn shop that's been there for several years still on sale. I better go get it before someone beats me to it! :D

chuckg

Supporting Actor
It is possible that you have listened only to cheap subs that are designed to produced a single, loud note. They aren't really speakers, more like a special effects gadget that makes the room rumble on explosions. Most cheapo boom-car subs fall into that category.

Getting a real, decent, "musical" sub that faithfully reproduces a broad range of notes will only take a little more money that those "one-noters" and will be much more pleasing on the ears.

John Gates

Second Unit
What kinds of subs are you listening to? Models?

What kinds of room conditions?

Downfiring or front firing?

If the subs are decent, try this: Auralex SubDude | Sweetwater.com

I have not tried one myself, but I have read positive reviews. Worth checking out.

Terry St

Second Unit
Is this all happening in the same room? Some rooms have really strong modes at exactly the wrong frequencies. A parametric EQ might help if that's the case.

Balazs konya

Auditioning
I have the same droning problem. I have a Def-Tech Trinity sub and it likes to drone at the levels where I'm happy with the kick output. If I turn the crossover down to 50htz it quites down but so does the punchy-ness of the sub. This is when playing music through it.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
Sounds like setup problems. My sub just sounds like it's not there and the bass/LFE is coming from my mains.

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright
Poor Setup, Cheap subs, No EQ, Bad location, poor system integration. There are probably more reasons, and you know them already, Raymond. But a DefTech Trinity should never drone. I'd have it checked out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks