Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Movie Help - Swiss Family Robinsonesque

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,591 posts

Posted April 25 2008 - 11:53 PM

I clearly recall seeing an adventure movie when I was a kid in the early 70s. I've always thought it was Disney's Swiss Family Robinson because, well, it involved a ship at sea going down in a storm and a group of people making a life for themselves on an island, then being attacked.

Well, I sat down with my kids yesterday to watch this for the first time in 30+ years, and it wasn't the same movie. For instance, I seem to recall a girl people jumping off the boat during the storm, and somewhere a small girl fits in, though I could be wrong on that. I didn't remember anything in the Disney movie.

Does any one know of any movies similar to SFR that this might have been? This would have been a theatrical release.

-paul

#2 of 9 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,541 posts

Posted April 26 2008 - 04:37 AM

Maybe you are thinking of the Disney remake called the "The New Swiss Family Robinson"? ImDB indicates the Robinsons have a daughter in the new version. The older version shows them with just boys.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#3 of 9 Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted April 26 2008 - 04:51 AM

Was the name of the ship the SS Minnow by any chance?

Ah hahahahahaha,, er, cough. ahem. Nevermind..

#4 of 9 Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted April 26 2008 - 05:53 AM

Paul, check out IMDB.com to see the long list of Swiss Family Robinson movies & TV series.

Quote:
The older version shows them with just boys.

Actually Disney's 1960 movie version of Swiss Family Robinson had a girl nicknamed "Bertie" that two of the boys fought over. She was played by Janet Munro:

Janet Munro
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

#5 of 9 Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,591 posts

Posted April 26 2008 - 11:06 AM

Unbelievably I think I found it. I was just at Best Buy with my son (exchanging my unopened DVD Blade Runner for the Blu Ray version, and at the same price thank you very much) and I let him look at the family dvds. And right at eye level was a girl in a pink dress. I didn't mention the pink dress earlier because I wasn't trusting my memory.

The movie is called In Search of the Castaways. I'll have to go rent it now to make sure that's the one.

-paul

#6 of 9 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted April 27 2008 - 02:38 PM

Have I got this correct?
16 year old Hayley Mills in a pink dress?
Wet?

Posted Image
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#7 of 9 Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,591 posts

Posted April 29 2008 - 07:25 PM

Well, Castaways wasn't it. I didn't watch the movie yet - just scanned it. I didn't even see Miss Mills in a pink dress in the movie.

Back to the racks...

-paul

#8 of 9 usrunnr

usrunnr

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted September 01 2012 - 04:13 AM

You might be thinking of "A High Wind In Jamaica", a really exception film starring Anthony Quinn and James Coburn as pirates who intercept a family trying to return to England from Jamaica. Deborah Baxter plays the young girl Emily Thorton. Also in the film are Lila Kebrova and Gert Frobe.

#9 of 9 Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,591 posts

Posted September 03 2012 - 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by usrunnr 

You might be thinking of "A High Wind In Jamaica",

Hmm! It's a couple of years before my time so unlikely. But there could have been a revival or re-running or something a few years later? I'll check it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users