-

Photo
- - - - -

Movie Help - Swiss Family Robinsonesque

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,604 posts

Posted April 25 2008 - 11:53 PM

I clearly recall seeing an adventure movie when I was a kid in the early 70s. I've always thought it was Disney's Swiss Family Robinson because, well, it involved a ship at sea going down in a storm and a group of people making a life for themselves on an island, then being attacked.

Well, I sat down with my kids yesterday to watch this for the first time in 30+ years, and it wasn't the same movie. For instance, I seem to recall a girl people jumping off the boat during the storm, and somewhere a small girl fits in, though I could be wrong on that. I didn't remember anything in the Disney movie.

Does any one know of any movies similar to SFR that this might have been? This would have been a theatrical release.

-paul

#2 of 9 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted April 26 2008 - 04:37 AM

Maybe you are thinking of the Disney remake called the "The New Swiss Family Robinson"? ImDB indicates the Robinsons have a daughter in the new version. The older version shows them with just boys.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#3 of 9 Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted April 26 2008 - 04:51 AM

Was the name of the ship the SS Minnow by any chance?

Ah hahahahahaha,, er, cough. ahem. Nevermind..

#4 of 9 Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted April 26 2008 - 05:53 AM

Paul, check out IMDB.com to see the long list of Swiss Family Robinson movies & TV series.

Quote:
The older version shows them with just boys.

Actually Disney's 1960 movie version of Swiss Family Robinson had a girl nicknamed "Bertie" that two of the boys fought over. She was played by Janet Munro:

Janet Munro
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

#5 of 9 Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,604 posts

Posted April 26 2008 - 11:06 AM

Unbelievably I think I found it. I was just at Best Buy with my son (exchanging my unopened DVD Blade Runner for the Blu Ray version, and at the same price thank you very much) and I let him look at the family dvds. And right at eye level was a girl in a pink dress. I didn't mention the pink dress earlier because I wasn't trusting my memory.

The movie is called In Search of the Castaways. I'll have to go rent it now to make sure that's the one.

-paul

#6 of 9 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted April 27 2008 - 02:38 PM

Have I got this correct?
16 year old Hayley Mills in a pink dress?
Wet?

Posted Image
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#7 of 9 Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,604 posts

Posted April 29 2008 - 07:25 PM

Well, Castaways wasn't it. I didn't watch the movie yet - just scanned it. I didn't even see Miss Mills in a pink dress in the movie.

Back to the racks...

-paul

#8 of 9 usrunnr

usrunnr

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted September 01 2012 - 04:13 AM

You might be thinking of "A High Wind In Jamaica", a really exception film starring Anthony Quinn and James Coburn as pirates who intercept a family trying to return to England from Jamaica. Deborah Baxter plays the young girl Emily Thorton. Also in the film are Lila Kebrova and Gert Frobe.

aerospace

#9 of 9 Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,604 posts

Posted September 03 2012 - 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by usrunnr 

You might be thinking of "A High Wind In Jamaica",

Hmm! It's a couple of years before my time so unlikely. But there could have been a revival or re-running or something a few years later? I'll check it out.