Jump to content



Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for the most jaw-dropping DTS-HD MA track on blu...


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 of 40 OFFLINE   Mike Miskulin

Mike Miskulin

    Second Unit



  • 386 posts
  • Join Date: May 31 1998

Posted April 25 2008 - 05:28 AM

I've finally updated my receiver and can now fully immerse myself in HD audio goodness!

What I'm looking for is suggestions from first hand listening to various blu-ray discs as to DTS MA quality. I'd like to find a disc with some great demo material to show off the new receiver.

Any suggestions?

mike.
Do it Right or Don't Do it at All.®

#2 of 40 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

    Lead Actor



  • 9,537 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 19 1998

Posted April 25 2008 - 05:56 AM

Quote:
I've finally updated my receiver and can now fully immerse myself in HD audio goodness!
Why the focus on DTS MA? True HD or PCM should sound (literally) every bit as good.

#3 of 40 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

    Screenwriter



  • 2,616 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 16 2002

Posted April 25 2008 - 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR
Why the focus on DTS MA? True HD or PCM should sound (literally) every bit as good.

I assumed it was because he had a new 'toy' and wanted to 'play' with it. Posted Image

Anyway, I can't give a first-hand account, as I cannot decode DTS MA at this time, but I have read that The Orphanage has a wicked DTS MA track, and judging by the 'core' I can believe it.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#4 of 40 OFFLINE   loganhunter2002

loganhunter2002

    Stunt Coordinator



  • 73 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 29 2006

Posted April 25 2008 - 06:16 AM

Try the following films:

Hitman
Die Hard with a Vengeance
Hairspray
Shoot Em Up
Sony STR-DG910
Creative Megaworks 650 THX 6.1 (575 Watts RMS)
Toshiba HD-A2
Toshiba HD-XA2
PS3 60 GigXBox 360Sony KDL40S2000 40" Bravia Flat Panel LCD HDTVSamsung 50" Plasma HPS5033

#5 of 40 OFFLINE   Mike Miskulin

Mike Miskulin

    Second Unit



  • 386 posts
  • Join Date: May 31 1998

Posted April 25 2008 - 06:31 AM

Quote:
assumed it was because he had a new 'toy' and wanted to 'play' with it.

Exactly! Posted Image

Of course I've got PCM discs and TrueHD discs, but want to play with an MA disc!

Thanks for the suggestions. Any more?

mike.
Do it Right or Don't Do it at All.®

#6 of 40 OFFLINE   TerryPM

TerryPM

    Agent



  • 40 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 16 1999

Posted April 25 2008 - 07:12 AM

I second the Orphanage. I watched it in DTS MA this week, and it had me jumping out of my seat. The video is also first rate- the color is a little washed out, which I assume was the original intention, but the detail is spectacular.

#7 of 40 OFFLINE   Mike Miskulin

Mike Miskulin

    Second Unit



  • 386 posts
  • Join Date: May 31 1998

Posted April 25 2008 - 07:54 AM

I've never even heard of The Orphanage, but maybe I'll take a look at it this weekend...I'm guessing Pan's Labyrinth has a pretty amazing DTS MA track as well.
Do it Right or Don't Do it at All.®

#8 of 40 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

    Screenwriter



  • 1,765 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 18 1998
  • Real Name:Jeff Adkins

Posted April 25 2008 - 08:11 AM

I, Robot

#9 of 40 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

    Producer



  • 4,486 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 15 2001

Posted April 25 2008 - 09:34 AM

Live Free or Die Hard.
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#10 of 40 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

    Executive Producer



  • 16,240 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 01 1999
  • Real Name:Tony D.
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 25 2008 - 01:23 PM

the golden compass.

whenever she uses the compass the sound field is as enveloping
as any i have ever heard.
full 7.1
facebook.com/whotony

#11 of 40 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

    Stunt Coordinator



  • 159 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 23 1999

Posted April 25 2008 - 04:53 PM

Rush Hour 3 in 7.1 DTS_MA

#12 of 40 OFFLINE   Lance Rumbolt

Lance Rumbolt

    Stunt Coordinator



  • 151 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 18 2000

Posted April 25 2008 - 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
the golden compass.

whenever she uses the compass the sound field is as enveloping
as any i have ever heard.
full 7.1

It's a shame the film is so bloody bad, i had such high hopes for this after the books, i have to say whoever made the creative decisions on this film dropped a bollock big time.

Hairspray is full of syrupy 7.1 goodness it's brilliant.

#13 of 40 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

    Executive Producer



  • 11,580 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 24 2006
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 26 2008 - 03:03 AM

I agree completely with LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD, currently my reference disc for sound and picture for action lovers.

I'd also recommend X-MEN: THE LAST STAND. Terrific sound and picture even if the film is a bit of a come down from the first two films.

#14 of 40 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

    Screenwriter



  • 1,559 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 22 2004

Posted April 26 2008 - 04:10 AM

If you're format neutral like I am, there're alot of import HDDVD's which have the DTS-HD MA tracks.
If not, then I recommend DVDCompare.net for your researching needs. Yes, alot of titles which are "Blu" exclusive in Region A aren't literally exclusive as many people tend to think. No, they're actually on HDDVD in other countries. Sometimes better encodings and extras or what-not. Alot of times even lossless audio. Give or take alot of things.Posted Image

#15 of 40 OFFLINE   Lance Rumbolt

Lance Rumbolt

    Stunt Coordinator



  • 151 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 18 2000

Posted April 26 2008 - 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_R
If you're format neutral like I am, there're alot of import HDDVD's which have the DTS-HD MA tracks.
If not, then I recommend DVDCompare.net for your researching needs. Yes, alot of titles which are "Blu" exclusive in Region A aren't literally exclusive as many people tend to think. No, they're actually on HDDVD in other countries. Sometimes better encodings and extras or what-not. Alot of times even lossless audio. Give or take alot of things.Posted Image

So Ray are you going to actually make a recommendation or carry on banging on about a now dead format?

#16 of 40 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

    Screenwriter



  • 1,559 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 22 2004

Posted April 26 2008 - 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Rumbolt
So Ray are you going to actually make a recommendation or carry on banging on about a now dead format?
I did recommend him using DVDCompare.net. I suggest you get off my case about it. I don't make random comments about Laserdisc or DIVX now, do I? The format might be dead but as long as both my player and the discs still work, I'll still watch the movies. High Definition is still HD, irregardless of whichever format it's on. And no I don't have any recommendations. Perhaps one of the Resident Evil films on BD has DTS-HD MA audio?
Like I said, RESEARCH DAMMIT!Posted Image

#17 of 40 OFFLINE   Lance Rumbolt

Lance Rumbolt

    Stunt Coordinator



  • 151 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 18 2000

Posted April 26 2008 - 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_R
I did recommend him using DV. I suggest you get off my case about it. I don't make random comments about Laserdisc or DIVX now, do I? The format might be dead but as long as both my player and the discs still work, I'll still watch the movies. High Definition is still HD, irregardless of whichever format it's on. And no I don't have any recommendations. Perhaps one of the Resident Evil films on BD has DTS-HD MA audio?
Like I said, RESEARCH DAMMIT!Posted Image


Eh?

He's not asking whether your HDDVD players are still working or whatever he was asking for recommendations and maybe this is part of his research!

#18 of 40 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

    Screenwriter



  • 1,559 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 22 2004

Posted April 26 2008 - 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Rumbolt
Eh?

He's not asking whether your HDDVD players are still working or whatever he was asking for recommendations and maybe this is part of his research!
All I can say is, if he's looking or interested in a particular title, I suggest looking on DVDCompare.net since they list the audio.
For example:
DIE HARD: With a Vengeance
  • Bluray A America - (Fox)

  • Commentaries:
    Audio commentary by director John McTiernan, featuring screenwriter Jonathan Hensleigh and (former) Fox head of distribution Tom Sherak
  • Extras:
    "HBO First Look" TV special (22 min)
    "A Night to Die For" TV special(SD, 23 min)
    "Villains with a Vengeance" (4 min)
    Bruce Willis Interview (6 min)
    "EPK" Featurette (5 min)
    Side-by-Side Comparisons (3 min)
    Storyboard Sequence (2 min)
    Alternate Ending (w/ optional commentary) (6 min)
    5 TV-spots
    2 theatrical trailers
    Bonus trailers: "Alien vs. Predator", "Die Hard (1988)", "Die Hard 2 (1990)", and "Live Free or Die Hard AKA Die Hard 4.0 (2007)"
  • Subtitles:
    English HoH, Spanish, Cantonese, and Korean
  • Aspect Ratio:
    2.35:1
  • Picture Format:
    1080p 24fps
  • Soundtrack(s):
    English DTS-HD Master 5.1
    French Dolby Digital 2.0 surround
    Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 surround
  • Case type:
    Amaray (Keep) Case
  • Notes:
    Using AVC MPEG-4 compression. Confirmed to be "Region A". Enhanced for D-Box Motion Control Systems.
So in effect, I'm interested in this title too and probably will be picking up the DIE HARD "Tetralogy" (No bullshit Quadrilogy made up face for me) Boxset. Looks like it carries over all the extras from the R1 Special Edition. Not looked at any DVD vs. Blu comparisons but the version in question I own on DVD was a high offender to the usage of DNR and EE. Can't even watch the damn movie since there's no film grain and looks OVER EE'd. Do you owns it Lance? Does it retain the film grain and everything and is it a BD-50?

#19 of 40 OFFLINE   Lance Rumbolt

Lance Rumbolt

    Stunt Coordinator



  • 151 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 18 2000

Posted April 26 2008 - 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_R
All I can say is, if he's looking or interested in a particular title, I suggest looking on DVDCompare.net since they list the audio.
For example:
DIE HARD: With a Vengeance
  • Bluray A America - (Fox)

  • Commentaries:
    Audio commentary by director John McTiernan, featuring screenwriter Jonathan Hensleigh and (former) Fox head of distribution Tom Sherak
  • Extras:
    "HBO First Look" TV special (22 min)
    "A Night to Die For" TV special(SD, 23 min)
    "Villains with a Vengeance" (4 min)
    Bruce Willis Interview (6 min)
    "EPK" Featurette (5 min)
    Side-by-Side Comparisons (3 min)
    Storyboard Sequence (2 min)
    Alternate Ending (w/ optional commentary) (6 min)
    5 TV-spots
    2 theatrical trailers
    Bonus trailers: "Alien vs. Predator", "Die Hard (1988)", "Die Hard 2 (1990)", and "Live Free or Die Hard AKA Die Hard 4.0 (2007)"
  • Subtitles:
    English HoH, Spanish, Cantonese, and Korean
  • Aspect Ratio:
    2.35:1
  • Picture Format:
    1080p 24fps
  • Soundtrack(s):
    English DTS-HD Master 5.1
    French Dolby Digital 2.0 surround
    Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 surround
  • Case type:
    Amaray (Keep) Case
  • Notes:
    Using AVC MPEG-4 compression. Confirmed to be "Region A". Enhanced for D-Box Motion Control Systems.
So in effect, I'm interested in this title too and probably will be picking up the DIE HARD "Tetralogy" (No bullshit Quadrilogy made up face for me) Boxset. Looks like it carries over all the extras from the R1 Special Edition. Not looked at any DVD vs. Blu comparisons but the version in question I own on DVD was a high offender to the usage of DNR and EE. Can't even watch the damn movie since there's no film grain and looks OVER EE'd. Do you owns it Lance? Does it retain the film grain and everything and is it a BD-50?

I skipped die hard with a vengence I only ever liked the first film so i couldn't tell you this one.

#20 of 40 OFFLINE   Mike Miskulin

Mike Miskulin

    Second Unit



  • 386 posts
  • Join Date: May 31 1998

Posted April 27 2008 - 05:14 PM

FWIW, I am format neutral, but lack a DTS-MA decoding or bitstreaming player, so that's out, but thanks for the suggestion; I'll take a look at that site for sure.

I'd love to get Live Free or Die Hard, but was put off with the theatrical-only edition. Now if Fox never released an unrated version on DVD this wouldn't even be a point. But I needs me some F-bombs in my Die Hard movies! Posted Image
Do it Right or Don't Do it at All.®


Back to Blu-ray



Forum Nav Content I Follow