Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Future Hanna-Barbera DVDs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
85 replies to this topic

#21 of 86 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,716 posts

Posted April 29 2008 - 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chenoweth
I'll add to the list that Chris and Mark came up with on why the H-B box sets have not sold well.

Another major contributing factor is that the cartoons are only shown on the Boomerang cable channel which most homes do not get. About the only way to get Boomerang is by DirecTV or DISH satellite networks. These shows need to be on more mainstream cable outlets that TimeWarner own like: Cartoon Network, HBO Family, TNT, TBS and Turner Classic Movies. The Hanna-Barbera shows need more exposure on TV than what they are getting. Before Ted Turner bought Hanna-Barbera, some of the shows showed up regularly on The Disney Channel!!!

It is not just Warner Home Video that is killing these characters off with bad management and marketing decisions, but it also being done by segregating these characters to being aired on Boomerang only.

While these characters are segregated to Boomerang - it's the selling tool of the channel. Who is going to carry Boomerang if a majority of their cartoons are aired on other channels? While it would be nice if the Flintstones were on broadcast channels, the FCC's Child TV laws make such a show worthless to stations since it doesn't carry that E/I tag.

They should do a limited edition series with the DVDs inside replica lunchboxes
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#22 of 86 Aaron Handy III

Aaron Handy III

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted April 29 2008 - 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Y
I wouldn't go by a You Tube posting as an indication of DVD quality! (Sheesh.)

I have the Magilla Gorilla DVD set and there are a few cartoons that were transferred from old 16mm TV prints, but most were from 35mm. All look as good or better than they originally looked on TV. They did mess up in not including any version of the show opening or closing anywhere on the set (apart from the clip included in the "Here Comes A Star" preview special) but compared to the VHS days, when most H-B series were represented by one 50-minute compilation tape, this is great!

All the issues you mention above, though, have contributed to these sets not being nearly as successful as they could have been. A major part of the problem is their being marketed towards children. That's fine for Scooby and the Flintstones, who have continued to air on a regular basis. Contemporary kids know who they are!

Things don't look good for future releases of classic Hanna-Barbera, though. They've been cutting corners all over the place. If something ran more than one season, now it would probably go over the current budgets for these projects. (Notice how these sets have gotten slimmer and slimmer?)

I would love to see the rest of the vintage H-B catalog come out...I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't release "Peter Potamus" along with "Magilla Gorilla." They were syndicated together after their original run (Channel 32 in Chicago aired all the cartoons together under "Magilla Gorilla"). (I know there are people who feel that "Potamus" wasn't as good, but they were pretty much "twin shows" in the same sense that "Huckleberry Hound" and "Yogi Bear" were "twin shows.")

Yeah, I did read music licensing issues were the main factor in "QDM" not coming out. It's a shame.

If you ask me, I think it's time - past time - for WHV to step aside and let some more experienced folks to put some time, money, effort and heart into the H-B DVD releases and do them justice.

Warner, you did your best; trouble was, the best just wasn't good enough.
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com
My TV Web Shrine

#23 of 86 Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor

• 513 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted April 29 2008 - 01:08 PM

Thanks, Chris, for the head's up. And I do have both the Huckleberry Hound and Yogi Bear box sets on DVD!!!! I picked them both up during the Holidays and plan on watching them soon this coming summer once I have the time to relax and properly enjoy them!!!! Posted Image
The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

#24 of 86 Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 610 posts

Posted April 29 2008 - 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey3rd
While these characters are segregated to Boomerang - it's the selling tool of the channel. Who is going to carry Boomerang if a majority of their cartoons are aired on other channels? While it would be nice if the Flintstones were on broadcast channels, the FCC's Child TV laws make such a show worthless to stations since it doesn't carry that E/I tag.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the "E/I tag?"

Second, a portion of Boomerang used to show up on Cartoon Network as a block of programming. It was a great way to cross-promote Boomerang and the shows that were on it. Cross promotion is wonderful for exposing people to other shows on other networks. The Time/Warner channels cross-promote on each other all the time. Why not Boomerang cartoons as well? As an example, TNT could show the Flintstones and use that air time to promote Boomerang. They could show a Huckleberry Hound cartoon or a Yogi Bear short on TNT or TBS and promote Boomerang at the same time, or advertise the Hanna-Barbera DVD box sets.

Third, I hate the whole segregation mentality that is on TV today. The only place to watch M*A*S*H is on TVLand. The only place to watch classic movies is on TCM. The only place to watch game shows is on GSN. It is too compartmentalized; there needs to be a mixture.

#25 of 86 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,716 posts

Posted April 29 2008 - 03:54 PM

"educational and informative," children's shows. All stations must run 3 hours of them. It's the stigma given to us by Peggy Charren.

Far as Cartoon Network goes, the channel is now half adult swim. So they had to yank the Boomerang block of programming to squeeze in more showings of My Gym Partner's a Monkey. What does get me is the lack of promotion for these boxsets. When the Flintstones DVDs were coming out, they didn't have any sort of contests or special Flintstones block. They didn't push the Looney Tunes boxsets with a marathon of Bugs. but the folks at TCM do have tie-ins with the big Warner boxsets. Synergy has been lacking.

I prefer a channel providing me with a certain kind of programming. What ticks me off is when these channels stray from their purpose. What's the point of the Independent Film Channel running Austin Powers? Or TVLand running movies? Or CMT showing Hogan Knows Best? While it would be nice to have channels mix it up, they'll all go for the same audience and show the same Adam Sandler films. TNT would never run Flintstones because they know drama.

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the "E/I tag?"

Second, a portion of Boomerang used to show up on Cartoon Network as a block of programming. It was a great way to cross-promote Boomerang and the shows that were on it. Cross promotion is wonderful for exposing people to other shows on other networks. The Time/Warner channels cross-promote on each other all the time. Why not Boomerang cartoons as well? As an example, TNT could show the Flintstones and use that air time to promote Boomerang. They could show a Huckleberry Hound cartoon or a Yogi Bear short on TNT or TBS and promote Boomerang at the same time, or advertise the Hanna-Barbera DVD box sets.

Third, I hate the whole segregation mentality that is on TV today. The only place to watch M*A*S*H is on TVLand. The only place to watch classic movies is on TCM. The only place to watch game shows is on GSN. It is too compartmentalized; there needs to be a mixture.

come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#26 of 86 happyfa5

happyfa5

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted September 18 2008 - 09:14 PM

Their sould be more H-B shows to be release to DVD even the 1975 Tom and Jerry series only featuring the cat and mouse.

#27 of 86 happyfa5

happyfa5

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted September 19 2008 - 04:35 AM

Also more new animated Tom and Jerry direct-to-video movies and the first and only season of the Tom and Jerry Comedy Show from Filmation.

#28 of 86 happyfa5

happyfa5

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted June 02 2009 - 08:24 AM

I think Warner Bros. sould put more
hanna-barbera television specials and movies on single-disc DVDs and television shows on season and complete series DVD sets for the hanna-barbera classics collection:

The Jetsons Meet The Flintstones

Top Cat and the Beverly Hills Cats

Yogi and the Invasion of the Space Bears

Jonny's Golden Quest

The Flintstones Meet Rockula and Frankenstone

Christmas Comes to Pac-Land

The Good, the Bad and Huckleberry Hound

I Yabba-Dabba Do!

Yogi's Great Escape

Hollyrock-a-Bye Baby

Jonny Quest vs. The Cyber Insects

Tis the Season to Be Smurfy

Heidi's Song

Yogi's Treasure Hunt  (1985 cartoon series, also a segment as part of the Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera)

The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo (1985 animated series)

Jabberjaw (1976 cartoon series)

Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo (1979 half-hour series)

The Herculoids (1967 animated series)

The New Yogi Bear Show (1988 revival of the original 1960s show)

Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels (1977 cartoon series)

Pac-Man (1982 cartoon series based on the video and arcade games)

SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron (1993 cartoon show)

Yogi's Space Race (1978 animated series)

#29 of 86 paste

paste

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted June 02 2009 - 09:39 AM

Quote:
I'll add to the list that Chris and Mark came up with on why the H-B box sets have not sold well.

Another major contributing factor is that the cartoons are only shown on the Boomerang cable channel which most homes do not get. About the only way to get Boomerang is by DirecTV or DISH satellite networks. These shows need to be on more mainstream cable outlets that TimeWarner own like: Cartoon Network, HBO Family, TNT, TBS and Turner Classic Movies. The Hanna-Barbera shows need more exposure on TV than what they are getting. Before Ted Turner bought Hanna-Barbera, some of the shows showed up regularly on The Disney Channel!!!

Not sure how it is nationwide, but we have Time Warner cable and we've had Boomerang for several years now.

#30 of 86 younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,225 posts

Posted June 02 2009 - 11:14 AM

you could see more series coming out, but it will depend how 1960s and 1970s cartoon series sell. I purchased those dvds and hope that speed buggy, goomber and ghost chaser, funky phantom and hercuilods are released on dvd. I am serious about buying space ghost and dino boy.

#31 of 86 juda

juda

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted June 02 2009 - 12:29 PM

Would actually be amazing to see A Flintstone Christmas released!

#32 of 86 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,335 posts

Posted June 02 2009 - 12:52 PM

I'm ready for this long-lost special:

Alice in Wonderland or What's a Nice Kid Like You Doing in a Place Like This? (1966) (TV)

#33 of 86 ClassicTVFan1981

ClassicTVFan1981

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted June 02 2009 - 01:17 PM

How about a re-release of The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour (Show) with the original opening and closing titles, and a re-release of The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show with the original single-sequence closing credits?

BTW, didn't the original closing titles to SD/DH look similar to that of Jabberjaw, just as season 1 of both Fonz & the Happy Days Gang and The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show had similar closing credit sequences?

~Ben

#34 of 86 Aaron Handy III

Aaron Handy III

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted June 02 2009 - 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicTVFan1981
How about a re-release of The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour (Show) with the original opening and closing titles, and a re-release of The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show with the original single-sequence closing credits?

BTW, didn't the original closing titles to SD/DH look similar to that of Jabberjaw, just as season 1 of both Fonz & the Happy Days Gang and The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show had similar closing credit sequences?

~Ben

Put me on that list of buyers!

And The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour (Show)'s end credit sequence looked more similar to that of Clue Club than Jabberjaw's.
My TV Web Shrine

#35 of 86 derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 721 posts

Posted June 03 2009 - 12:25 AM

Quote:

~Ben

I'll be happy if they just release Vol.2 and Vol.3 of The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show
If they fix the credits, that'd be a bonus. Same for SD/DM, how are they
going to release the final four episodes from season two?

Does anyone think we'll ever get some kind of Laff-a-Lympics release that
includes the missing Scooby Doo episodes left off season 3 and the four
"Blue Falcon & Dynomutt" ones?

It's hard to imagine how they'll do it. It's so stupid how WB has chopped up
these shows. It would be so much better if they reassemble all the HB shows
into their original show blocks, as aired, and released them in volumes.
RR/SD was on the right track, and now it's been over a year without a release
of the next volume... frustrating.

-g

#36 of 86 younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,225 posts

Posted June 03 2009 - 12:59 AM

I think there are some issues with some of the charaters in the laff olympics, which is causing issues to releasing it on dvds, like Babu (Jeannie).

I am very surprise the remaining episodes of Scooby-doo were not released, because HB is planning to release the lost superfriends episodes. Gee, yet they wont released Superfriends from 1973. So, it is mind boggling why items get delayed or never released.

#37 of 86 Albert_M

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted June 03 2009 - 05:15 AM

I actually hate these combo show collections. I want to collect Scooby Doo, not the other shows paired with it. And to add to the negative of that, we don't get every episode made. I get the issues with the Scooby Doo movies but there are several episodes from the later editions of the show in the 70s that did not appear on collections.

Oddly enough on of those "unreleased" episodes appeared on one of the single disc collections early in the decade. The title escape me now, but it was a good episode.

#38 of 86 Mr. Papagiorgio

Mr. Papagiorgio

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted June 03 2009 - 12:18 PM

I'd love to see The Pirates of Dark Water on DVD. It had great storytelling and continuity to it not seen in many cartoons of its time.

#39 of 86 ClassicTVFan1981

ClassicTVFan1981

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted June 03 2009 - 01:03 PM

Some shows by H-B (and Ruby-Spears) haven't been released as of yet, as my theory goes, is due to the fact that some of the original prints (as they were seen prior to syndication) were never found (or are in poor condition; if you look at such shows as The Quick Draw McGraw Show and The Banana Splits Adventure Hour), and The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour DVD suffered from a "rush-release" syndrome due to this.

Actually, Jeannie never appeared opposite Babu on Laff-a-Lympics.

As Blue Falcon and Dynomutt would frankly exchange: "Dog Wonder?!" "I did it again, didn't I?" "Yes, Dog Wonder, you did it again!"

Ruby-Spears' Plastic Man will be seeing the light of day on DVD this September, but not with Mighty Man & Yukk, Fangface & Fangpuss, and Rickety Rocket, nor with the other segments of the 1980-81 season (The Plastic Man/Baby Plas Super Comedy Show) that are Plastic Family and Baby Plas. At least not until this "complete" collection of all 35 of Plas's segments sell well. People have long desired for Plas to get a DVD release, and this is why I hint at it selling well.

~Ben

#40 of 86 Aaron Handy III

Aaron Handy III

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted June 03 2009 - 01:20 PM

Quote:
Some shows by H-B (and Ruby-Spears) haven't been released as of yet, as my theory goes, is due to the fact that some of the original hour-long or so prints (as they were seen prior to syndication) were never found, and The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour DVD suffered from a "rush-release" syndrome due to this.

~Ben

I heard from a colleague from another board that the masters for The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour in fact do exist; it's just that WHV didn't put their backs into properly constructing it. The original 60-minute installments of The Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show have yet to be unearthed, however (if only they'd think to probe The Library Of Congress and/or The Paley Center For Media...).
My TV Web Shrine

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow