-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Batman or James Bond - Who is more iconic?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 of 38 Kachi Khatri

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 08:27 AM

I have a debate going on with some folks and need some input as this one is tearing my mind.

The two fictional characters, Batman and James Bond are iconic in status. Of the two which one you think is more iconic and why? I am a fan of both but I feel Batman has more iconic status with a broader fan-base and mass appeal.

#2 of 38 Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 11:08 AM

I say Bond. He has greater international appeal and he appeals to women more than Batman.

#3 of 38 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,643 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 24 2008 - 11:12 AM

I'd say Batman just because he wears a costume. Not that Bond's tux isn't iconic too but you can see people wearing a tuxedo lots of places and you hardly ever see anyone wearing a Batsuit anymore.

#4 of 38 Bob Graz

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor

• 798 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 11:55 AM

My initial impulse was to say Bond. After a few minutes thought though, I think I'd say Batman. The reason being is that Batman was featured in comics, TV series and movies. So I would say that over time Batman has had much more exposure in different media than Bond has.

#5 of 38 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 24 2008 - 12:13 PM

I'd go with Batman for the same reason Travis noted. Batman is instantly recognizable, but a guy in a tux can be anyone. Could even be Bruce Wayne!

#6 of 38 Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson

Screenwriter

• 1,920 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 12:39 PM

The only comic book character that I'd label as iconic is Superman. In order to be worthy of that label I'd say that one must be the best of the best. James Bond is the world's best known secret agent, so that makes him more of an icon than a second tier superhero.

#7 of 38 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted April 24 2008 - 01:17 PM

Hmmm...interesting question. I would say Batman, because you might not know Bond when you see him. He has to have the gun and the pose. But see a guy in the batsuit, even Adam West, and you got Batman.

#8 of 38 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 02:11 PM

Batman......a second tier superhero?!!! Posted Image I think not! Posted Image

Anyway, getting back to this subject.....Batman is much more iconic than Bond. The character was around a lot longer and no one could possibly mistake that costume as being anyone else.
Recently watched- Phantom Of The Paradise, 300, The Final Terror, Willow, The Bank Job, One Hour Photo, Gone Baby Gone, Horrible Bosses, Buried, Escape Plan, Sudden Impact, The Enforcer(1976), The Other Guys, The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3, Tales From The Crypt: Season 1, Lost: Season 1

"Give them nothing, but take from them EVERYTHING!"

#9 of 38 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 02:12 PM

Two questions have to be asked in order to determine iconic status.

1) Name a fictional Super Spy.

2) Name a fictional Superhero.

I would guess that at least 7 out of 10 people would answer "James Bond" and "Superman" if you asked average people those two questions. Therefore, I believe that James Bond is actually more iconic than Batman.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#10 of 38 Jacinto

Jacinto

Second Unit

• 411 posts
  • LocationLittleton, Colorado

Posted April 24 2008 - 03:56 PM

For me, "iconic" must involve some sort of image or symbol that is recognizable. So in that vein, I agree with the others who have said that imagery-wise, Bond is just a handsome guy in a tuxedo, whereas there is absolutely no mistaking Batman. So in that sense, even though Superman may be the most famous if all superheroes, Batman is by far the most iconic. Even the most basic silhouette of Batman immediately tells the viewer exactly who he is looking at.
Chachi Hernandez
Illustrator

#11 of 38 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 04:56 PM

Define "iconic"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacinto
For me, "iconic" must involve some sort of image or symbol that is recognizable. So in that vein, I agree with the others who have said that imagery-wise, Bond is just a handsome guy in a tuxedo, whereas there is absolutely no mistaking Batman. So in that sense, even though Superman may be the most famous if all superheroes, Batman is by far the most iconic. Even the most basic silhouette of Batman immediately tells the viewer exactly who he is looking at.

I'd have to agree. Much as I'm a fan of both, Batman is just more 'obvious', if that's the word for it. Even if, by Edwin's suggestion, Bond is almost always the first choice for "name a superspy" and Batman is just one of several choices for "name a superhero".

I guess the weird costume is what makes him "iconic". And the rest of the bat-themed paraphenalia, of course.

#12 of 38 troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 07:16 PM

An icon (from Greek εἰκών, eikōn, "image") is an image, picture, or representation; it is a sign or likeness that stands for an object by signifying or representing it, or by analogy, as in semiotics; by extension, icon is also used, particularly in modern culture, in the general sense of symbol — i.e. a name, face, picture, edifice or even a person readily recognized as having some well-known significance or embodying certain qualities. one thing, and image or depiction, that represents something else of greater significance through literal or figurative meaning, usually associated with religious, cultural, political, and economic standing.

With this, Batman wins hands down.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#13 of 38 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 07:56 PM

I don't see how you can definitively say that "Batman wins hands down". For most people Batman would not be the first person to come to mind if they were asked to identify a Superhero.

To me, the definition of iconic is a name or image that immediately identifies the subject. The subject is Superheroes. If asked, the first Superhero that comes to mind for most people would be Superman. That is what I would consider iconic. The image of Superman is indelibly linked to genre of Superheroes in people's minds. The exact same thing applies to the genre of spies. People immediately think of James Bond.

It goes even further than that. The idea of a "Superman" or a "James Bond" crops up in wider society. If someone does a feat strength or derring do invariably a lot of references will be made to Superman. As in "that guy was like Superman" or some other such nonsense. If someone pulls some outrageous stunt connected with spies or sometimes even criminal activity, a lot people might say that it was "right out of James Bond". To me that is iconic.

The only way Batman would win is if the cue was strictly visual. Very few people would ever equate Batman with anything outside of the visual, except maybe climbing a building. And he probably wouldn't even win there, since most people would identify that stunt as "pulling a Spiderman".

Edit: Hell, some people in Britain would probably think you had gone starkers if you asked whether The Batman was iconic. They would probably ask you what's iconic about a guy who plays a cricket. Posted Image
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#14 of 38 troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 09:00 PM

Edwin, I agree completely that Superman is more iconic than Batman. However, the question is between Batman and James Bond who is more iconic? Let's look at this from another angle. Which is more known, the superhero universe or the spy universe? If I go around the world and ask people who Wolverine is alot would say X-Men. Now, if I go around and ask them who Spider-man, Hulk, Fantastic Four are I'm sure many would have no problem identifing them to some extent and those, as someone put it, are the "second tier heroes." Now, using that same example, let's say I go around and ask people who Ethan Hunt is? Perhaps Napoleon Solo, no? I know, La Femme Nikita? How bout Jim Phelps or Flint? Emma Peel (my personal favorite) or Steed? Matt Helm? Anyone? Anyone at all? Well, you get the idea. The funny thing is, Batman is more recognized as the second most popular superhero in that genre, than James Bond is as the first and foremost spy of that genre. Posted Image
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#15 of 38 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,455 posts

Posted April 25 2008 - 03:23 AM

Quote:
An icon (from Greek εἰκών, eikōn, "image") is an image, picture, or representation; it is a sign or likeness that stands for an object by signifying or representing it, or by analogy, as in semiotics;
Ok, so if I show people this:Posted Image

vs.

this:
Posted Image

It doesn't seem obvious that one "icon" is more recognizable than the other, especially if one shows the two in Europe as well as the U.S. Neither does simply saying the name "Batman" vs. "James Bond".

#16 of 38 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,688 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted April 25 2008 - 05:03 AM

Batman, because he could beat Bond in a fight.

Nuff said.
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#17 of 38 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,455 posts

Posted April 25 2008 - 05:18 AM

Quote:
[Batman, because he could beat Bond in a fight.
But Bond would get the girl, which would be more fun. Posted Image

#18 of 38 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,688 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted April 25 2008 - 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR
But Bond would get the girl, which would be more fun. Posted Image

you must of ever been married, otherwise you'd know that getting the girl isn't necessarily winning!

Posted Image
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#19 of 38 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,455 posts

Posted April 25 2008 - 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell G
you must of ever been married, otherwise you'd know that getting the girl isn't necessarily winning!

Posted Image
I said Bond "gets" the girl, not Bond "marries" the girl. Posted Image

#20 of 38 troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted April 25 2008 - 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR
I said Bond "gets" the girl, not Bond "marries" the girl. Posted Image
As I recall Bruce Wayne hasn't done too bad for himself in that regard.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow