-

Photo
- - - - -

SACD playback questions?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 indebt

indebt

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 06:27 AM

Hi,i am hoping someone out there can help answer two questions i have.First one,i live in Vancouver Canada and so far haven"t had much luck finding a retailer that has a good selection of SACD"s.And two,i"m using a Intergra 6.5 dvd player and matching Integra 6.8 receiver.Not using at this time any HDMI connections.Just wondering, in analog multichannel playback does your dvd or cd have to be in SACD or5.1 format to get the sub to work?I"ve tried reg cd"s in analog multichannel mode,and the sub does"t work.However played Eagles Farewell Tour,in analog multichannel mode,and sub worked.I"m hoping there is a way to play reg cd"s in analog multichannel mode with the sub working.Is there any hope??? Thanx..

Joe...

#2 of 16 DanFe

DanFe

Second Unit

• 421 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 07:24 AM

Joe,

I have never gone cd shopping in Vancouver; however, did hear that Absound is a good place to go.

Store Locations

Here in Seattle, I would go to Silver Platters. There are 3 stores in the area. In Portland, OR Music Millenium.

#3 of 16 indebt

indebt

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 08:44 AM

Thanx DanFe,I"ll check it out.

Joe...

#4 of 16 FeisalK

FeisalK

Screenwriter

• 1,245 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 12:10 PM

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by indebt
... in analog multichannel playback does your dvd or cd have to be in SACD or5.1 format to get the sub to work?I"ve tried reg cd"s in analog multichannel mode,and the sub does"t work.

it depends on your receiver; most receivers do not process the signal coming in via the multich analog inputs and you won't get the sub to work if the original source is 2 ch.
Quote:
However played Eagles Farewell Tour,in analog multichannel mode,and sub worked.

In analog multich mode: If you played the Eagles Farewell Tour DVD DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 then the sub would work, but if you selected the 2.0 track it wouldn't

Quote:
I"m hoping there is a way to play reg cd"s in analog multichannel mode with the sub working.Is there any hope???

If you are playing regular CDs you should use the digital connection to the receiver or the stereo analog outputs (in this case unselect any "direct mode")
>
DVD-A registry for hirez/surround audio
Bluray, DVD-Audio, DAD/HDAD, DualDisc, MVI

#5 of 16 indebt

indebt

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 05:11 PM

Thanx for your reply.Normally my cd playback would be in digital form,but because of an audio delay in zone#1 due to the DSP processing, creating an echo when i play both zones at the same time,the only way i can sync both zones is by,bypassing the DSP used in zone#1.This is why my big concern to see if there was an option to get my sub working in analog mode.When i played the Eagles,i was still in analog mode but had to switch from 48kHz,16bit to dts3/2.1option for my sub to work.My receiver and dvd player was still showing analog multichannel playback at that time.I dont know if that makes any sense?Anyway thanx again.

Joe...

#6 of 16 FeisalK

FeisalK

Screenwriter

• 1,245 posts

Posted April 25 2008 - 04:18 AM

it's the DSPs that are enabling your sub to work when you feed it a 2-channel signal.

there are a couple of options to circumvent this but they are permanent (i.e not easily switchable)

Probably the best one is to find an outlaw ICBM-1 analog bass manager and connect it between your player and receiver. unfortunately these have been discontinued and sales of used units are rare

The other option is to connect the sub via the speaker outputs instead of the Sub pre-out from your receiver; you'll need to reconfigure your system to "no sub" and large mains speakers. (this is how subs would have been connected before sub pre-out came into existence)
>

#7 of 16 indebt

indebt

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted April 25 2008 - 09:27 AM

It"s a relief to know there is an option,thanx for taking the time to help me out.

Joe...

#8 of 16 Blair G

Blair G

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted April 25 2008 - 05:34 PM

I live in Vancouver and I can assure you, sadly, that you will find little or nothing in the way of SACD's at A&B Sound.

This is not a knock on A&B. They have been my favorite retailer by far over the course of my lifetime. But they never embraced hi-rez.

There are few titles left at most of the Best Buys. Key word here being few.

Adagio at Main and 18th is the only other option I'm aware of and even their selection has dwindled of late.

#9 of 16 FeisalK

FeisalK

Screenwriter

• 1,245 posts

Posted April 26 2008 - 01:11 AM

well, you'll find very little in the way of SACD (or DVD-Audio) at any B&M store anywhere in the world
>

#10 of 16 indebt

indebt

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted April 27 2008 - 11:52 AM

A buddy of mine just told me that HMV on Robson St.had it"s top floor deadicated to SACD and other high def audio.Have you ever been there?

#11 of 16 FeisalK

FeisalK

Screenwriter

• 1,245 posts

Posted April 27 2008 - 04:36 PM

well perhaps you should give it a visit. kinda hard for me to check it out though Posted Image
>

#12 of 16 indebt

indebt

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted April 28 2008 - 05:51 AM

Sorry FeisalK,i must not be doing something right.I thought i was replying to Blair G,who lives in Vancouver.

Joe...

#13 of 16 FeisalK

FeisalK

Screenwriter

• 1,245 posts

Posted April 28 2008 - 01:18 PM

heh heh don't worry about it Posted Image
>

#14 of 16 Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted April 28 2008 - 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeisalK
heh heh don't worry about it Posted Image

Good to see that the analog BM fires are still burning bright at HTF, Feisal!;-)

I wonder if our FAQ is still here somewhere? Funny, but how many years after the fact, and I bet much of it remains valid.

Brian

Edit: IT LIVES!

http://www.hometheat...189-post18.html

#15 of 16 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,700 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted April 28 2008 - 01:54 PM

That FAQ should have been a Sticky Posted Image .
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#16 of 16 FeisalK

FeisalK

Screenwriter

• 1,245 posts

Posted April 28 2008 - 05:59 PM

heh Posted Image

Brian - you should just archive it offline somewhere

it was a sticky in the old software; while Outlaw discontinued the ICBM it became quite relevant if you were hooking up a new BD (or HDDVD, back then) to an older receiver.
>

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow