Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Nightmare Before Christmas - BD - Fall '08

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,458 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 24 2008 - 05:05 AM

HighDefDiscNews | Blu-ray Disc News & Reviews | Celebrating Our 1 Year Anniversary! » Blog Archive » Disney is bringing Tim Burton’s “The Nightmare Before Christmas” to Blu-ray

Should be great. Never even got an anamorphic release on DVD. (I'd imagine a new DVD will arrive the same day).

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 05:14 AM

I would definitely purchase The Nightmare Before Christmas on Blu-ray Disc; however I will be cautiously optimistic until further notice, as I am still waiting for my Sin City BD. Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,458 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 05:37 AM

Well, Sin City was merely pictured in a generic Blu-ray ad along with 6-7 other titles. From what I can tell this is a full trailer just for Nightmare, similar to the Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio trailers.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,169 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted April 24 2008 - 05:53 AM

What would be really sweet is if they made the 3-D option available on BD.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,840 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 24 2008 - 06:51 AM

Sweet! I hear the Corpse Bride BD was really spectacular. Hopefully this one (a much better movie) will be too.

Wasn't the special edition DVD release anamorphic?
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 06:52 AM

That certainly bodes well. It occurred to me that if The Nightmare Before Christmas sees a fall release, then we probably won't see a release of Sweeney Todd on BD before then either. I know how these studios love their 'synergy'. Perhaps we might even get Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on BD at the time as well. One can hope anyway...
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,840 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 24 2008 - 06:55 AM

Why would WB/ Dreamworks base the Sweeney Todd release on this Disney film?
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 07:07 AM

For the same reason, but perhaps not to the same degree, that Fox would release Batman: The Movie based The Dark Knight's release. Namely, to leverage another studio's advertising. Besides given that Paramount/Dreamworks could not make a day-and-date BD release for Sweeney Todd, waiting until the fall makes sense not only to market the film as a horror title, but to position it in front of more buyer's as the result of the holiday season.

The Jackal

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,695 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 07:23 AM

Sadly, no. They used the same non-anamorphic transfer from the previous edition, but included some new extras.

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,570 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted April 24 2008 - 10:21 AM

It would be sweet if any film presented in 3-D at a movie theatre would be released in 3-D on BD.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 03:05 PM

This is cool news! Am really looking forward to THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Can't have too much Tim Burton on Blu-ray. SWEENEY TODD will be cool when Paramount/Dreamworks firm up their Blu-ray plans. Warner needs to get on MARS ATTACKS!, BEETLEJUICE, BATMAN, BATMAN RETURNS and CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY for Blu-ray.
Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
2,000-plus Blu-ray & DVD reviews now playing...
http://www.thecinemalaser.com

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 07:30 PM

which is too strange since one of my first DVDs I bought in 1999 was the German version of "Nightmare" which IS anamorphic.

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted April 25 2008 - 12:29 AM

Like Paul I'm cautiously optimistic until we get a firm date, though this one seems more solid than most "coming soon" news. Maybe I've just become more jaded over the past 16 months though I lay the blame for that with these studio's practice of repeatedly dangling A list titles in front of our noses that never show up. Whether it be Sin City, LOA, etc on disc promo's, general media event announcements like Open range in summer 07, Finding Nemo Fall 08 (which got bounced), etc or "insider" generated rumors like Alien(s) in early 08, Das Boot in early 08, etc, etc.
Death before Streaming!

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,458 posts

Posted April 25 2008 - 03:08 AM

I think it's safe to say that if a film is advertised as being in the works it truly is. The problem is that when the release date is over 6 months away many things can occur that delay the release, from mastering/authoring of the disc, to changed marketing plans. So while Nightmare may not be 100% assured for this Fall, it's certainly being prepped for a release at some point.

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted April 25 2008 - 03:52 AM

Well there's nothing there I'd disagree with and that's the reason that until there's a firm date announced I'll remain cautiously optimistic. The very real possibility that it could be bumped to 2009 or even 2010 sort of dampens my enthusiasm. Again I'll brighten up when there's an official announcement, but I am glad to hear that it's "in the works" and "planned" for a BD release.
Death before Streaming!

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,840 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 25 2008 - 05:10 AM

Crap, I didn't know that Nemo got bounced. Posted Image

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   Roogs Benoit

Roogs Benoit

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted April 25 2008 - 05:12 AM

I'm also cautiously optimistic about this release. Looking forward to an anamorphic BD with 7.1 Lossless audio. Maybe both 3-D and 2-D versions? We will have to wait and see.

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,794 posts

Posted April 25 2008 - 05:37 AM

GREAT news.

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,570 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted April 25 2008 - 08:13 AM

It was not filmed in 3-D, only converted to 3-D. I don't think you will see any films released on BD in 3-D for a long time. There are too many 3-D processes and the industry has to decide on one. Sensio has there side by side process. There's the field-sequential method. Both are fine, just decide on one of them. Please don't use the crappy anaglyph method with the dual colored glasses and crappy 3-D.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   Mike Williams

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts

Posted April 25 2008 - 09:14 AM

Well, we're getting the Hannah Montana concert is 3-D BD very soon, so maybe that's hope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users