Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Free Comic Book Day

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Robert Floto

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted April 22 2008 - 10:21 AM

Saturday, May 3rd is Free Comic Book Day at your local comic book shop for those who are interested.

You can find out what titles at Free Comic Book Day May 3rd 2008.
Movies I would purchase instantly if they were available in their correct aspect ratio:
Death Trap, Innocent Blood, The Shadow, and Remo Williams

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,341 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 22 2008 - 02:27 PM

I'll be getting that EC Sampler and the Simpsons book.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,391 posts

Posted April 23 2008 - 01:47 AM

I can't wait! I did this for the first time last year and it was great. I went to Midtown Comics in NYC and got a big bag with pretty much all of the comics.
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Robert Floto

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted May 02 2008 - 07:09 AM

Tomorrow is the day!
Movies I would purchase instantly if they were available in their correct aspect ratio:
Death Trap, Innocent Blood, The Shadow, and Remo Williams

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Mick Wright

Mick Wright

Second Unit

• 351 posts

Posted May 03 2008 - 08:56 PM

The comic shop I went into only gave away 1 book per person. I told them never mind.
"What the eyes see and the ears hear, the mind believes."

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,391 posts

Posted May 04 2008 - 01:07 AM

Midtown Comics again gave out all of them (44 or 45).

home page / dvds

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,341 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 04 2008 - 07:11 AM

The books aren't free to the retailers money so I don't blame them for putting a limit on people (especially when every year, I see people grabbing everything whether they're interested in it or not). Of course, when they limit the number of books or don't carry them, the store looks bad and it pisses off its customers. In the end, Free Comic Book Day is designed as a promotion for the industry but it's a waste of money for the retailers because they 'have' to particpate and spend money to keep their customers happy but they get little or no new customers.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted May 05 2008 - 01:39 AM

At Newbury Comics in Burlington I took my 4 1/2 year old daughter who loves Spider-Man. They had the books behind the counter, so I just asked if it would be greedy to just ask for one of everything. The girl was very friendly and said no problem, I wouldn't be the first.

Looking through the books at home, I was very happy to see about 10 titles that were kid-friendly, so my daughter could have her own 'stash,' and wandering around, I bought her a few more books that she picked to put some cash Newbury's way.

She was thrilled with her pile of comics - I think they've made a future comics reader of her!

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,391 posts

Posted May 05 2008 - 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
The books aren't free to the retailers money so I don't blame them for putting a limit on people (especially when every year, I see people grabbing everything whether they're interested in it or not).

How does it cost the retailers money? Aren't these all promotional editions that are provided to the stores for free?

home page / dvds

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted May 05 2008 - 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streeter
How does it cost the retailers money? Aren't these all promotional editions that are provided to the stores for free?

Nope! I'll try to get an average cost by my local comic book retailer this week. The publishers do provides these comics at a substantially lower cost/issue than the usual fare, but the retailers do incur costs during this promotion.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Harpozep

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted November 02 2008 - 11:35 AM

I missed this thread. Been real busy since FCBD.
Well, I own one of the larges Comic Stores in New England and we throw a huge FCBD bash each year.
Sarge's Comics : Comics, Manga, Collectibles, Gaming Supplies & More

It costs us over 10 K each year to do it but we look at it as an advertisement and a hell of a party!

We had over two thousand people attend last year. We gave out seventeen thousand comic books, most of them kid friendly!

Over sixty people in costumes came to enjoy the fun and cosplay. Always a good time, sure some folks only come once a year for the swag, but many are picked up as semi regulars, and that is whet it is about.

It's great to get the kids reading things besides video game instructions!
We give out a few thousand comic books to schools. I just gave 600 Halloween comics to a school. They all cost us money, so, no , unfortunately nothing is free for the retailer.
Here's a pic from this year's FCBD:

Posted Image

Hundreds more on my gallery pages:
Robert Miller's Photo Galleries at pbase.com
Best,
Robert

Forum Nav Content I Follow