What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory Vol. 3 (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden

Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory Volume 3

Broadway Melody of 1936 (1935)/Broadway Melody of 1938 (1937)/Born to Dance (1936)/Lady Be Good (1941)/Nancy Goes to Rio (1950)/Two Weeks with Love (1950)/Deep in My Heart (1954)/Hit the Deck (1955)/Kismet (1955)

Studio: Warner Brothers

Year: 1935-1955

Rated: Unrated

Film Length: Various

Aspect Ratio: 4:3/16:9/2.55:1

Subtitles: English/French (Portuguese for Kismet)

Release Date: Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Edited by Ken_McAlinden - 8/11/2009 at 07:59 pm GMT

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
..."The Strauss Fantasy"...conducted by Johnny Green (unless he had a nickname).

Thanks for the review and the details of all the extras; it was a lot of work.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I really enjoyed your review, Ken. Another huge box set in your most capable hands.

On the subject of DEEP IN MY HEART's box-office performance, according to Hugh Fordin's THE WORLD OF ENTERTAINMENT, the film cost $2.1 million to produce and grossed $4.08 million. Not a smash but I'd call that more of a breakeven rather than a flop.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
Great review, Ken. Just one tiny (possible) correction:

I thought Vernon Duke wrote Autumn in New York. Did you mean to write "The Last Time I Saw Paris"?

Regards

Chris

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
You are 100% correct. Not only is it Kern's "The Last Time I saw Paris" that Ann Sothern sings in the film, but the song won the Oscar (with some controversy - it had been a hit the year before and was clearly not written for the movie). I will fix it in the review. I have been listening to a Frank Sinatra compilation for the last few weeks with the Vernon Duke song on it, so it was on my mind. Once again, something got mixed up between my brain and my typing fingers.

Thanks!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
By the way. If Jane Powell's four apperances in titles included with this box set are not enough for you, Warner just relased "A Date with Judy" this week. It was previously available exclusively at the Deep Discount DVD and affiliated Critic's Choice Video online retailers, but is now available everywhere.

The decidedly non-musical Merrill's Marauders, which was the other Deep Discount exclusive title, was also released widely this week.

I just received my review copies yesterday.

Regards,

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Ken, just wanted to express my appreciation for the great job you do with your reviews, including this one. They are always well written, quite informative, and entertaining to read. WHV is very fortunate to have such informed classic film buffs such as yourself (and Herb previously) reviewing their product.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks