What's new

How do I prevent my MBP from connecting to certain wireless networks? (1 Viewer)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I'm in a condo unit, so there are several surrounding wireless networks my MBP detects. Most of them are secure, including mine (as secure as wireless can be I guess), but there is one that I think is in one of the neighboring units that is unsecured, and I've noticed my MBP will try to connect to that one instead of mine sometimes. Is there a way I can tell it NOT to connect to certain available networks?

Brian

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I wish I were writing this from my Macbook Pro right now.

Someone else is going to give you the definitive answer but
I would suspect clicking on the Airport wireless icon in the upper
right toolbar, selecting LOCATION and EDIT LOCATIONS may be
the key to removing networks you don't want to connect to.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Go to System Prferences, then Network, click the Advanced button. Click the + button and add the network you want to auto join to the Preferred Network box. Add or remove any as you wish. I believe it chooses by order from top to bottom. Maybe uncheck Remember any network this computer joins so it won't add any automatically to the list that you happen to use like coffee shops or airports. This is the steps in Leopard. I forget the steps in Tiger but it's similar. Hope this helps.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Daryl: OK, that's basically what I tried yesterday, and it does seem to have worked. It's annoying using the net for awhile then realizing you're stealing the neighbors bandwidth. Then again, if it's the noisy neighbors, I guess I really don't mind so much! ;) But my Internet is way faster than theirs.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Hehehe, good one. :D

I have the same situation. Three local wireless networks (not including mine), 2 secured and 1 unsecured that's slower than mine. No problem of accidently connecting to that unsecured network with the procedure I posted above. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks