-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Walk Way Concrete Molds - Used One?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,063 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted April 20 2008 - 07:16 AM

You can see one here: Walkmaker™ Stone Mold

We've got a bird feeder on pole stuck in the ground and my wife is thinking this would be handy create a stone border for it to cut down on the seeds germinating there.

Anyone used these things? Do you like them? I supposed the resultant bricks should be placed on a bed of sand? This particular mold doesn't look like it would be handy creating a circular pattern.

I notice that Lowes has crack-resistance concrete mix. It has "special fibers" to reduce drying and cracking. It costs a couple bucks more a bag than the regular.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#2 of 7 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,063 posts

Posted April 20 2008 - 07:35 AM

I found this idea for curves at Concrete Paths, Walk-Maker, Walkmaker, Building Paths, Concrete Walkways, Quikrete Walkmaker, Path Forms, Using Quikrete, Concrete Stones
Quote:
When making curves, there are two options.

Butt outside corner of the mold to the existing concrete, align the curve, and press down on the mold, cutting the freshly placed concrete on the inside corner. Remove the mold and refinish the cut portion of the concrete. Place the mold, fill with concrete, and continue making cuts as necessary to attain the proper curve alignment.

Butt inside corner of the mold to the existing concrete. Fill in the space between the mold and the existing concrete on the outside of the corner. Free form the fill-in space. Level, finish, and shape the fill-in concrete to the desired appearance. Continue the procedure until the curve is complete.
I like the first method better.

edit: link fixed
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#3 of 7 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted April 20 2008 - 08:02 AM

Your link doesn't work properly because of the colon at the end of html.
The first method sounds like it would be easier: less hassle making everything match up properly.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#4 of 7 BrianW

BrianW

Screenwriter

• 2,552 posts

Posted April 20 2008 - 11:59 PM

I've used it and can heartily recommend it. Don't bother with making a bed of sand. It doesn't make "bricks" that you place anywhere. It just lets you pour in place. Just dig out the sod and compact the soil, and you're ready to go.

You can form circular or curved pathways using the methods Johnny quoted above. I prefer the first method, too. Just use Willian Alexander's "Wet on Wet" technique (Posted Image), and you'll be making curved pathways in no time.

This thing is handy, but don't kid yourself. Mixing and forming concrete one bag at a time is hard work.

For an extra bit of finish, you can get powdered concrete stain and sprinkle and float (using a floating tool) it on top of the concrete before it sets. It makes it look more stone-like and comes in different colors.
-Brian
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#5 of 7 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,063 posts

Posted April 21 2008 - 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
This thing is handy, but don't kid yourself. Mixing and forming concrete one bag at a time is hard work.
Yeah, I kinda figured it would be hard work. Maybe I'm better off just buying pavers or something like that.

Would you recommend the readycrete cement or can I just use any brand?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#6 of 7 BrianW

BrianW

Screenwriter

• 2,552 posts

Posted April 21 2008 - 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell
Yeah, I kinda figured it would be hard work. Maybe I'm better off just buying pavers or something like that.
Pavers are no picnic, either. They require a level, compacted bed of sand, more digging to accommodate the sand, and a lot more precision work. And pavers are a lot more expensive. The only advantage to pavers that I can see (from a level-of-effort standpoint only) is that you don't have to lug 40-50 pounds of them at a time like you have to do with bags of concrete.
Quote:
Would you recommend the readycrete cement or can I just use any brand?
you can use any brand at all, but I would stay away from the quick-setting kind used to set posts. I wouldn't mess with the fiber reinforced stuff, either. That stuff is great if you're pouring a slab for a barn, but it's overkill just for foot traffic.
-Brian
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#7 of 7 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,063 posts

Posted April 21 2008 - 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
I wouldn't mess with the fiber reinforced stuff, either. That stuff is great if you're pouring a slab for a barn, but it's overkill just for foot traffic.
I would have thought these smaller cast stones would be more susceptible to cracking from foot traffic.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow