What's new

True Lies? (1 Viewer)

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
I apologize if this has been asked before but does Fox have any plans to release True Lies on BD? This is one of the best action movies made and it has a terrific soundtrack. Not to mention a lively dance routine by Jamie Lee Curtis.

Brad

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I sure hope so, if I recall correctly it never even got an SD-DVD with an anamorphic transfer. Of course it is Fox so I highly doubt we'll see it anytime soon. One of, if not, the worst studio.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I don't know. Since True Lies came out quite early in DVD history, maybe Fox will release it on BD soon enough too. Afterall, it's exactly the kind of movie that studios think will appeal to the current BD market (and it was a catalog-title-of-sorts back then for the DVD also) -- and it has never gotten the double-dip treatment on DVD either. Seems like they were just waiting for James Cameron to put some time into it for that double-dip, but it never happened.

Given Fox's barebones approach so far and Cameron being not so interested in working on an SE release, I can definitely see them deciding to just put out a barebones BD (but hopefully w/ top notch PQ/AQ anyway) just in time for the holiday season or the like.

Yeah, I'd love for them to release a super-duper SE BD for this, but if they can only give us a barebones one w/ top notch PQ/AQ. Then I'll take it and not worry about an eventual double-dip -- if that ever even comes along.

_Man_

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I would think that fox would release both the abyss and true lies in BD next year with the release of the new cameron movie.

Jacob

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
It never got the treatment it deserved on SD. My memory may be hazy, but wasn't there some word that a "5 Star Collection" SE of it was planned, but then 9/11 happened and it was scrapped?

The subsequent D-Theater release a couple of years later has me hopeful we will get it on Blu. However, with Cameron wanting to be directly involved with any new transfers done of his films, they may have no choice but to use the one the D-Theater release used, so I'm hoping it was a good one.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I think you are correct. For what ever reason they canned a special edition, thanks to 9-11.

Apparently, Arnie wasting members of Islamic Jihad is bad thing?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, since they're in the business to make $$$, the potential bad publicity in relations to 9/11 could indeed be a bad thing for them. And it's not exactly like a double-dip DVD would fly off the shelves as quickly as a first-time release either.

Anyway, now, we're quite a ways removed from 9/11 -- though we still do feel the after-effects here and there (and perhaps, in the various marketplaces).

Hope TheBat is right and maybe they're get around to releasing a solid SE BD of this (along w/ the Abyss though I'm not keen on the heavy-handed ending of the director's cut for that one) just in time for Cameron's new movie.

_Man_

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
YOU LIE!!!:eek: Or apparently not researched it very well.;)

(Great for people like myself who're actually mutli-region capable and consider extras a good thing.)

From DVDCompare.net and NOT DVDBeaver...
  • R2 DTS Japan - (Nippon Herald Films)

• Extras:
    "Making of" -featurette (25 min, presented by Jamie Lee Curtis)
    Theatrical trailer
  • Subtitles:
    Japanese
  • Aspect Ratio:
    2.35:1
  • Picture Format:
    Anamorphic
  • TV System:
    NTSC
  • Soundtrack(s):
    English DTS 5.1
    English Dolby Digital 5.1
    Japanese Dolby Digital 2.0 surround
  • Case type:
    Amaray (Keep) Case
  • Notes:
    DTS is half bitrate (768 Kbps).
I too am eagerly waiting for a BD of this. Obviously when I have a player of my own and not bumming the use of my friends PS3.
Cheaper player price and profile 2.0 or higher finalised dammit!:angry: And such.:crazy:

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Hmmph!

I guess it's not all that surprising that R2 got an anamorphic release (with a few extra features no less!) while we're stuck with a bare bones non-anamorphic SD-DVD with a transfer that's riddled with edge enhancement!!

This is one title that I would pay over $30 for on BD in even a bare bones iteration (as long as the transfer is up to standards) so Fox needs to get cracking on this!!

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"Apparently, Arnie wasting members of Islamic Jihad is bad thing?"

Americans know better. I read that rentals for this (and similar titles) went through the roof after 9/11.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If they had actually started working (in other words, spent money) on a special edition, it would have come out. The September 11 attacks might have delayed its release but there is no way that they had made any real progress on a special edition and just shelved it all. Cameron probably wants to be involved with an SE and he's been busy doing documentaries, trying to go the moon and working on Avatar for the last decade so I'd bet that that's the main reason that there isn't a special edition of True Lies.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I would love the get this film on Blu, but Cameron and Arnold should be involved (at least Cameron). Just putting out some barebones-release is not the way to do it... This is one cornerstone of (silly) action-films. :)

Then again, we would need "Abyss", "Aliens", "Titanic"... I love his films (well, not "Titanic", but it´s pretty good also).

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
TRUE LIES has a lot of great moments. Would love to see it on Blu-ray. Hopefully, Fox will get around to it sometime soon. That, and THE ABYSS.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I too believe without a doubt political correctness is preventing this one from getting released and why a SE DVD was never released - about every other Arnold title was re-released on DVD, no? (except Conan The Destroyer).

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

I'm sorry but that's a bit of a stretch, you can still buy the DVD just fine so what's the PC'ness over? Anamorphic transfers? For the record 9-11 prevented True Lies 2 from being made, the studio didn't have anything to do with it, it was James Cameron's choice. He said he didn't feel right about making light of terrorism after that.

I suppose you could claim this prevented a True Lies SE DVD, as we all know there would have been one if a sequel came out.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I don't think anything was ever prepared for an SE, just that one was in the planning stages and scrapped, by which party I'm not sure - possibly both. Like I said, since there was a D-Theater release, hopefully that is all water under the bridge. I remember this movie catching flack for it's villains upon release, and more comically I remember Executive Decision causing a lot of controversy as well upon its release (ya know, because the idea of jihadists taking over a commerical airliner and using it as a weapon was sooooooooo far-fetched).

Has anybody seen the D-Theater release? I'm hoping it's nice looking and not a mess like the recent Predator and Commando BDs.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Not to mention that Fox is the same studio that produces the TV series 24 (which involves a much scarier stories about terrorism than True Lies) and other studios have made movies about the 9/11 attacks. If it's political correctness (a term that I hate) that stopped a True Lies SE, why doesn't the PC police stop 24 or World Trade Center or United 93 or the documentaries made about the actual event?

I know people love to blame political correctness for lots of stuff but it's way off this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks