Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

True Lies?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#1 of 49 OFFLINE   Brad Vautrinot

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted April 19 2008 - 01:16 PM

I apologize if this has been asked before but does Fox have any plans to release True Lies on BD? This is one of the best action movies made and it has a terrific soundtrack. Not to mention a lively dance routine by Jamie Lee Curtis.

Brad
From the rocking of the cradle to the rolling of the hearse, the going up was worth the coming down.

#2 of 49 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted April 19 2008 - 01:57 PM

I sure hope so, if I recall correctly it never even got an SD-DVD with an anamorphic transfer. Of course it is Fox so I highly doubt we'll see it anytime soon. One of, if not, the worst studio.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#3 of 49 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted April 19 2008 - 02:27 PM

It was released in D-theater, so its got that going for it.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#4 of 49 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted April 19 2008 - 02:32 PM

That's not saying much.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#5 of 49 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,874 posts

Posted April 19 2008 - 03:46 PM

I don't know. Since True Lies came out quite early in DVD history, maybe Fox will release it on BD soon enough too. Afterall, it's exactly the kind of movie that studios think will appeal to the current BD market (and it was a catalog-title-of-sorts back then for the DVD also) -- and it has never gotten the double-dip treatment on DVD either. Seems like they were just waiting for James Cameron to put some time into it for that double-dip, but it never happened.

Given Fox's barebones approach so far and Cameron being not so interested in working on an SE release, I can definitely see them deciding to just put out a barebones BD (but hopefully w/ top notch PQ/AQ anyway) just in time for the holiday season or the like.

Yeah, I'd love for them to release a super-duper SE BD for this, but if they can only give us a barebones one w/ top notch PQ/AQ. Then I'll take it and not worry about an eventual double-dip -- if that ever even comes along.

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#6 of 49 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted April 19 2008 - 04:23 PM

I would think that fox would release both the abyss and true lies in BD next year with the release of the new cameron movie.

Jacob

#7 of 49 OFFLINE   Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted April 19 2008 - 05:03 PM

It never got the treatment it deserved on SD. My memory may be hazy, but wasn't there some word that a "5 Star Collection" SE of it was planned, but then 9/11 happened and it was scrapped?

The subsequent D-Theater release a couple of years later has me hopeful we will get it on Blu. However, with Cameron wanting to be directly involved with any new transfers done of his films, they may have no choice but to use the one the D-Theater release used, so I'm hoping it was a good one.

#8 of 49 OFFLINE   Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor

• 882 posts

Posted April 19 2008 - 06:16 PM

I think you are correct. For what ever reason they canned a special edition, thanks to 9-11.

Apparently, Arnie wasting members of Islamic Jihad is bad thing?
Government in action = Government inaction

#9 of 49 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,371 posts

Posted April 20 2008 - 12:43 AM

You just have to love the politically correct world we live in! Posted Image
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#10 of 49 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,874 posts

Posted April 20 2008 - 12:49 AM

Well, since they're in the business to make $$$, the potential bad publicity in relations to 9/11 could indeed be a bad thing for them. And it's not exactly like a double-dip DVD would fly off the shelves as quickly as a first-time release either.

Anyway, now, we're quite a ways removed from 9/11 -- though we still do feel the after-effects here and there (and perhaps, in the various marketplaces).

Hope TheBat is right and maybe they're get around to releasing a solid SE BD of this (along w/ the Abyss though I'm not keen on the heavy-handed ending of the director's cut for that one) just in time for Cameron's new movie.

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#11 of 49 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted April 20 2008 - 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-P
I sure hope so, if I recall correctly it never even got an SD-DVD with an anamorphic transfer. Of course it is Fox so I highly doubt we'll see it anytime soon. One of, if not, the worst studio.
YOU LIE!!!Posted Image Or apparently not researched it very well.Posted Image

(Great for people like myself who're actually mutli-region capable and consider extras a good thing.)

From DVDCompare.net and NOT DVDBeaver...
  • R2 DTS Japan - (Nippon Herald Films)

• Extras:
    "Making of" -featurette (25 min, presented by Jamie Lee Curtis)
    Theatrical trailer
  • Subtitles:
    Japanese
  • Aspect Ratio:
    2.35:1
  • Picture Format:
    Anamorphic
  • TV System:
    NTSC
  • Soundtrack(s):
    English DTS 5.1
    English Dolby Digital 5.1
    Japanese Dolby Digital 2.0 surround
  • Case type:
    Amaray (Keep) Case
  • Notes:
    DTS is half bitrate (768 Kbps).
I too am eagerly waiting for a BD of this. Obviously when I have a player of my own and not bumming the use of my friends PS3.
Cheaper player price and profile 2.0 or higher finalised dammit!Posted Image And such.Posted Image

#12 of 49 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,193 posts

Posted April 20 2008 - 03:59 AM

Hmmph!

I guess it's not all that surprising that R2 got an anamorphic release (with a few extra features no less!) while we're stuck with a bare bones non-anamorphic SD-DVD with a transfer that's riddled with edge enhancement!!

This is one title that I would pay over $30 for on BD in even a bare bones iteration (as long as the transfer is up to standards) so Fox needs to get cracking on this!!
Joseph
---------------

#13 of 49 OFFLINE   Don Solosan

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts

Posted April 20 2008 - 05:16 AM

"Apparently, Arnie wasting members of Islamic Jihad is bad thing?"

Americans know better. I read that rentals for this (and similar titles) went through the roof after 9/11.

#14 of 49 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,337 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 20 2008 - 06:58 AM

If they had actually started working (in other words, spent money) on a special edition, it would have come out. The September 11 attacks might have delayed its release but there is no way that they had made any real progress on a special edition and just shelved it all. Cameron probably wants to be involved with an SE and he's been busy doing documentaries, trying to go the moon and working on Avatar for the last decade so I'd bet that that's the main reason that there isn't a special edition of True Lies.

#15 of 49 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,227 posts

Posted April 20 2008 - 07:32 AM

I would love the get this film on Blu, but Cameron and Arnold should be involved (at least Cameron). Just putting out some barebones-release is not the way to do it... This is one cornerstone of (silly) action-films. Posted Image

Then again, we would need "Abyss", "Aliens", "Titanic"... I love his films (well, not "Titanic", but it´s pretty good also).

#16 of 49 OFFLINE   Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted April 20 2008 - 03:03 PM

TRUE LIES has a lot of great moments. Would love to see it on Blu-ray. Hopefully, Fox will get around to it sometime soon. That, and THE ABYSS.
Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
2,000-plus Blu-ray & DVD reviews now playing...
http://www.thecinemalaser.com

#17 of 49 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,278 posts

Posted April 21 2008 - 04:56 AM

I too believe without a doubt political correctness is preventing this one from getting released and why a SE DVD was never released - about every other Arnold title was re-released on DVD, no? (except Conan The Destroyer).

#18 of 49 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted April 21 2008 - 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H
I too believe without a doubt political correctness is preventing this one from getting released and why a SE DVD was never released - about every other Arnold title was re-released on DVD, no? (except Conan The Destroyer).

I'm sorry but that's a bit of a stretch, you can still buy the DVD just fine so what's the PC'ness over? Anamorphic transfers? For the record 9-11 prevented True Lies 2 from being made, the studio didn't have anything to do with it, it was James Cameron's choice. He said he didn't feel right about making light of terrorism after that.

I suppose you could claim this prevented a True Lies SE DVD, as we all know there would have been one if a sequel came out.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#19 of 49 OFFLINE   Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted April 21 2008 - 06:20 AM

I don't think anything was ever prepared for an SE, just that one was in the planning stages and scrapped, by which party I'm not sure - possibly both. Like I said, since there was a D-Theater release, hopefully that is all water under the bridge. I remember this movie catching flack for it's villains upon release, and more comically I remember Executive Decision causing a lot of controversy as well upon its release (ya know, because the idea of jihadists taking over a commerical airliner and using it as a weapon was sooooooooo far-fetched).

Has anybody seen the D-Theater release? I'm hoping it's nice looking and not a mess like the recent Predator and Commando BDs.

#20 of 49 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,337 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 21 2008 - 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Gibbs
I'm sorry but that's a bit of a stretch, you can still buy the DVD just fine so what's the PC'ness over?
Not to mention that Fox is the same studio that produces the TV series 24 (which involves a much scarier stories about terrorism than True Lies) and other studios have made movies about the 9/11 attacks. If it's political correctness (a term that I hate) that stopped a True Lies SE, why doesn't the PC police stop 24 or World Trade Center or United 93 or the documentaries made about the actual event?

I know people love to blame political correctness for lots of stuff but it's way off this time.

Forum Nav Content I Follow