What's new

What Is Your BEST & WORST Blind Buy TV On DVD? (1 Viewer)

Professor_Echo

Stunt Coordinator
Ever take a chance and buy a TV show or series on DVD that you had never seen before or had minimal exposure to? Maybe it was from curiosity or reputation or the recommendation of someone else, a show that, for whatever reason, wound up in your library.

If so, what was the BEST of these purchases, those you found pleasantly surprising, rewarding and worthwhile both in content and quality or even regardless of quality?

How about the WORST of your blind buys, shows that just did not fulfill your hopes when you bought it or those with quality so inferior they didn't stand a chance to make much of an impression?

Include ALL TV shows on DVD, not just series, and even smaller company and public domain releases, individual episodes, compilations, etc.

David Levine

Supporting Actor
Best: The Wire, Season 1. By a mile.

Runner up would be the Homicide: Life on the Street, Complete Series.

Worst: Superfriends. Loved it as a kid. Tried to watch it as an adult and it was so bad it actually made me angry watching it.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
My best and worst is the same show: The Waltons. Best for content, most disappointing for quality.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Glen, good thread. I'll name a few in each catagory since it's hard for me to pick just one each :)

BEST:

1) By a near-infinite margin: The Fugitive. This one's absolutely amazing in content & DVD transfer quality. :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:'s out of 5.
2) Macgyver. Never saw this one in the 80's but so far, into S1, it's great.
3) Band Of Brothers Miniseries. DVD set was pricey but a great miniseries.
4) The Untouchables. Only faint memories of Dad watching it remembering the opening theme.
5) The Naked City Box Sets. Great show. Near-blind-buy as my only memories of this one was when Dad was watching the original runs on the one family Zenith B/W TV. I only barely remembered the opening theme of the show. The Image DVD sets are excellent.
6) Honey West. This one's another faint memory of Dad watching the original run and I only remembered that classic opening theme tune.
7) A-Team. Yeah, I know...it's 80's "silliness" by a lot of measuring sticks out there but since, like the Fugitive, I'm probably one of 5-10 on the planet that had never seen a single episode before the DVD releases, it's a great way to watch a series. What fun, to me, watching George Peppard in that role and those bullets flying around with no one getting shot :laugh:

WORST:

I've been fortunate in this catagory with very few duds. I think that's because I mainly buy TV/DVD's for the "reliving" experience of shows I saw growing up in the late 50's/60's. I tend to be cautious with blind-buys.

1) Route 66 S1V1. It's only due to the DVD transfers. The content/series is great but unless this one's re-mastered and re-released it's #1 for my disappointment purchase.

I don't have more than R66 for a blind-buy but I have had a couple that didn't stand the test of time for me when I saw them as a kid,

1) Lost in Space. I only bought S1 but sold the set after viewing it at a local trading store. It just didn't "do it" for me after watching it as a kid.

2) Yogi Bear. I usually like the HB shows like the Flintstones, Jetsons, Jonny Quest, but this one so far hasn't been too keen for me during the revisit viewing.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I can't really decide between Larry Sanders and NewsRadio for the best. LS is the better show but I'm just so disappointed in the way the releases are handled and the fact that I'll never (legally) get to see the full series.

I haven't really had any bad luck with a blind buy. I loved Extras and Flight of the Conchords, as well as the UK Office.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Best: Joan of Arcadia (bought it without ever having seen even one episode before).

I don't have a worst one yet; maybe after a while I will think of one.

BTW, I agree regarding the quality of The Waltons (a show I love). Nevertheless, I will be completing that series soon.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
One of my best would have to be a late-'60's series called "Hawaii Five-O." The three currently released seasons stand as great investments to me for several reasons-- first and foremost, the characters. Steve McGarrett and his legmen (Danny Williams, Chin Ho Kelly, Kono Kalakaua) are among the permanent enshrinees into my personal television hall of fame-- they were just that good. The opening and closing themes, and also the opening and closing titles, are also why the 3 currently released seasons of "Five-O" are among my best.

Another: "Mary Tyler Moore." Mary and her coworkers at WJM, IMHO, stand head and shoulders above the "jerks at Central Perk"-- of course, that's just my opinion. "Jerks at Central Perk" refers, of course, to "Friends," which, sadly, TV Land is planning on taking on next year, despite the fact that TBS and some FOX stations show it a lot.

On the other hand, I don't think that I've had very many worst. One that comes close is FOX's release of Season 1 of "The Fall Guy," which, while the episodes were entertaining, had some undisclosed music replacement and other editing that totally stunk.

FrankT

Stunt Coordinator
There have been a lot that I knew were going to be good before I bought them as I seen some of them on TV (Band of Brothers, Sopranos etc).

The ones that I did not know would be good but turned to be would be "The Shield", "the new "BSG", "OZ".

Sammy-G

Stunt Coordinator
Best is a tie between House M.D. and Boston Legal. Was hounded by friends for months to watch them, and eventually bought both S1s when they hit the under-$20 mark. I sat myself down begrudgingly to watch them, not even wanting to like them, and now I'm absolutely hooked on both.

Worst is probably Monk. I can't count the number of times I read or was told "If you like House you'll LOVE Monk!" so I finally broke down and bought S1 with very high expectations. It's certainly an ok show but it just doesn't do anything for me - an extreme disappointment.

I guess for me the trick is to go into watching something without any preconceptions. Almost all of my favorite films are those I went into without any idea of what I was getting into.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I don't have a Worst blind buy, unless I count the video quality on the Adventures of Robin Hood, otherwise, it's a great show.

The best blind buys of mine are The Time Tunnel and UFO.

I've been watching Super Friends Vol. 2 and I'm enjoying it a lot, though I find myself laughing when I'm not supposed to :D . It was one of my favourites as a kid, I love how so much was packed into a 22 minute episode. It's such a fun show

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Best: Sledge Hammer - I missed this series during its original run. Also The Odd Couple - much better than imagined. Banacek - barely remember it as a kid.

Worst Mary Hartman Mary Hartman - after getting the wife hooked on all four seasons of Soap - I figured she's enjoy seeing the citizens of Fernwood. Instead she despised it - especially the pacing.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I rarely do blind buys unless they happen to be vintage shows with excellent reputations. THE FUGITIVE and ROUTE 66 are two such examples that spring to mind immediately.

I was very aware of these shows and their reputations, but had never seen an episode of either.

THE FUGITIVE is indeed an excellent series and is beautifully presented on Paramount's dvds.

The quality of Infinity's ROUTE 66 dvds is definitely inferior to THE FUGITIVE, but the shows themselves have really blown me away. What a fantastic, unique and varied series this was! Other than some occasionally heavy-handed, purplish dialog courtesy of Sterling Silliphant, the show feels as fresh today as when it first aired. Great, great series, and I only hope that Infinity can get its hands on some better prints for their next volumes.

These two series certainly qualify as "BestBuys."

Don't really have any "Worst Buys," but I will admit to some disappointment with THE ADDAMS FAMILY, vol. 1, which is a nice presentation of a cute, but very "one-trick pony" sort of show. Then again, as fond as I am of the gimmicky 60s sitcoms, I don't derive nearly the joy from them as I do the dramas of the same period. Never been much of a sitcom guy, I guess...

Shawn_Sm

Stunt Coordinator
Best: Newsradio and Grounded For Life

Worst: Benson, One Day at a Time, Silver Spoons. What was I thinking?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Tough calls. I have a lot of older stuff (I buy almost everything from the 50's and 60's), but they usually are not complete blind buys. But since we can include shows that we only have faint memories of as a kid I can definitely say that my...

Best Blind Buys are:
RAWHIDE (never watched it much as a kid or adult, but I love it now)
TATE (great little show)
OZZIE & HARRIET (believe it or not, I hadn't seen this one since I was very young and it holds up well)
HAVE GUN, WILL TRAVEL (same situation as Rawhide for me)

Worst Blind Buys are:
REAL MCCOYS (just can't seem to get into this one)
ADVENTURES OF LONG JOHN SILVER (too slow moving for me)

Gary "I've had pretty good luck with many of my blind buys, but some of the more obscure shows haven't done much for me - guess that's why they were obscure to begin with" O.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Best Blind Buy: Without a doubt, ``Buffy,'' tho I'd seen parts of some episodes while it aired, I never really got into the show. After watching on DVD, I loved it. ``Brisco County,'' and ``Invasion''.

Worst Blind Buy: ``Nowhere Man''...I managed to stick with it through to the end, but it SUCKED! ``Space: 1999'' was another...stopped watching after five episodes and gave it to my best friend, who said he likes it. :)

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Best blind buys: based off recommendations here; all 3 of the Bruce Timm animated DC comics shows - "Batman The Animated Series", "Superman: the Animated Series" and "Justice League" . Wow. Never expected them to be so great.

Worst: "Alias" - It's actually a good show. The term "Worst", isn't really fair, but it was more of "do I really want more". After finishing Season 1 blind, I just couldn't bear the thought of plodding through 4 more hour long seasons especially after hearing that the remaining seasons were a bit of a letdown. I've still got season 2 unopened (and season 3 of "24" as well for the same reason")

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks