JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've been asked to speak to the local camera club next month about Architectural Photography. I'm curious about input from you folks on what you would like to learn if you were in the group. The fact is, I don't know where to start. I have no problem with public speaking, and I never have. I've made presentations and taught photo classes all over the country and have plenty to say, but like I said, I just don't know where to start (and maybe even more important, where to stop) on the topic.

I expect most of the group will be pretty novice, but I wonder if alot of them will think they know a lot more than they do. For one, I want to encourage them away from thinking digital photography is really all that different from film photography. Probably no surprise to some of you. I want to really make a point about getting them away from thinking about tools (toys) and focus on how to use them.

Anyway, I guess the main thing I am wondering is, if you were in the seminar, what would you like to learn?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Well, at the risk of wanting to learn about toys, I think you would be hard pressed not to talk about the use of tilt/shift lenses. If I was going to an architectural photography talk I'd expect to learn about stuff like them.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, that actually brings up something I had thought about. Of course, for serious Architectural Photography, you use a view camera, not T/S lenses. I wonder what the reaction would be if I came in with the three (large!) hard cases, Cambo Master PC (camera), lenses, 30lb tripod, sandbags, 3 light meters, Polaroid backs, filters and so on I use for real jobs, just as an object lession.

Do you think that would be distracting, or just put them off? In a way, I want them to come away a bit stunned by how the pro stuff is done, but with a better understanding of how they can at least approximate it themselves.

BTW Sam, tools are always needed. To me, it's how you use and perceive them that makes them toys.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
John,

Bring your serious gear -- well, some of it anyway -- for that object lesson (and maybe a little demo also).

And what kind of architectural photography would you discuss? Would there be talk about natural lit, indoors stuff? In that case, you *might* want to talk about the WB issue even when using digital RAW. For the utmost in quality, one really should *not* merely rely on digital RAW for color-correction/setting in post, but should probably use good color filters (or use more neutral lighting). Digital color-correction in post (away from the camera sensor's native color bias/balance) will necessarily lose quality same as w/ film. There is no free lunch.

But yeah, I imagine you'll need to whip out them tilt/shift lenses for your digital body too. :D

Personally, I don't know what else I'd expect other than discussion on compositional techniques (that lend themselves more to this type of photography than others), lighting techniques (and/or use and choice of natural light), and such things. And of course, you'll probably want to point out what gear suits what approaches/styles/etc best for whatever given situation.

I don't personally know, but I imagine you might also want to mention stuff like the use of a light meter (vs the camera's built-in metering), if time permits.

And in the end, a practical demonstration w/ some actual shooting along w/ providing some hands-on exercises for the club members would probably be good, if time (and location) permits. There's nothing like actually getting into the act of doing it in order to get a better grasp of the how's and why's of it all -- and making it fun for all involved would probably be great too.

Have a blast w/ your talk!

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks guys. Time won't really permit everything Man mentions, but I was genuinely hoping to get into the white balance issue. That one really annoys people. I almost expect to have some storm out of the room over it. Seriously, I've seen bulging veins over that one. Almost nobody knows about Digital's dirty little secret.

Of course, composition will be a big part as well. Unfortunately, I don't get a lot of time.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'd definitly bring a view camera in, and show them how the backs differ significantly from an SLR and what that gives you that makes it worth the extreme extra effort to employ their use.

Can I suggest you video tape your talk? I bet there is a muuuch wider audience that is interested in hearing what you have to say, I know I am!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Heh. A lot of people want me to talk about and teach photography, but not many want to hire me to actually do it. So, you may have an idea there. Believe me, I've thought about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks