What's new

Need entire setup? recommendations? (1 Viewer)

mky286

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I am wiring my house now. Need 5 speakers and a sub for great room. Need 5 other speakers for Kitchen, master and master bath. 6 indoor outdoor speakers. I have been told anything from boston acoustic, jamo, to preference audio. Will also be needing a receiver. Pioneer Elite or Onkyo? Would rather not spend more than 200 a pair for the speakers but I do not want junk either. Any suggestions? Thanks

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Have you gone out and listened to any speakers yet? Speaker selection is a very subjective thing. By that I mean that all speakers have a slightly different sound to them based on the way that they are designed and the drivers that they use - some will sound brighter (more treble), some will sound warmer (less forward treble and more on the bass side), and some will be neutral. However, a speaker that someone finds to be bright could sound warm to someone else, which is why it is tough to recommend speakers to someone else unless they already have an idea of what type of sound they like, and some speakers that they have auditioned and liked.

My recommendation to you would be to go out and listen to some speakers in your price range (take some of your own music to listen to), and then post your thoughts. We can then recommend other brands to consider, or give our thoughts and experiences with those speakers.

For around $200 per speaker, you could audition Paradigm, Polk Audio, Athena, Energy to name a few well respected brands with speakers in that price range. Since you're buying so many speakers, I would suggest you decide which ones are the most important and spend more money on those and save money on the other ones where sound quality is less important.

Try and go to some smaller specialty audio stores to listen to speakers as they are far more knowledgeable about AV gear and have better quality speakers. You could also go to Audio Advisor and look at their speakers. A couple friends of mine bought the Athena in wall and ceiling speakers and really like them. I have the Athena LS-100 bookshelves and love them, but again that's just my experience and opinion. You should go out for yourself and see what is out there and what you like.

For a sub, look at SVS. You will get far more performance for your money from an SVS sub, than what you will find in the big box stores for the same price range. I have also heard positive feedback from people who have bought a sub from Outlaw Audio. SVS offers a trial period in your home so you can try their subs out and return them if you don't like them, and also has fantastic customer service and will not recommend something that is more than what you need.

mky286

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Is there anything that sticks out bad about these speakers? I had one audio quote and he was putting these speakers in his nicer homes. I like the idea of the angled speakers but did not know about the wattage?
preference-audio.com/k-6lcrs.htm

mky286

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Thanks, I will keep looking. Just trying to figure out if I want two way, three way or what. Anyone know where you can listen to speakers around Oxford, MS. Thanks, Mike

Jasen Chandler

Stunt Coordinator
Pioneer Elite all the way. Klipsch speakers are awesome. Use the 1000 series for your in ceiling speakers they also have outdoor speakers . . . HiFi Works makes great budget speakers and even have some THX select in walls for a great deal.

TruAudio also makes some great speakers . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks