What's new

Alien vs Predator 1 & 2 on Blu - quick thoughts (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I was able to watch both AvP movies last night and thought i would offer
a couple of thoughts.

the first time i saw AvP 1 at the movies a few years ago i was
disappointed with it.
i just didnt like it.

watching it again last night i actually enjoyed the movie for some reason.

Maybe watching the extended version helped
as i didnt see it that way before.
anyway i liked it.

now the second one, that's another story.
i really didnt like most of the movie.
in fact i actually thought it was a bore for much of it.

what i liked was the end .....the gov't blows up the whole town. Nice. also most, actually i think all but 2 of the cast are killed either by the aliens, the predator or the bomb.

the video when comparing both
movies was good on one and not so much on the other.
surprisingly i thought blacks were much better on the first film then the second.

the second movie was just too dark and the black levels just weren't close to
being as good as the first.

i couldn't get it black enough without losing all details in the image.

AvP 1 looked great, no details lost in any scenes that were dark which
was most of the movie.

sound was amazing for both films.
both have a dts hd ma track.

my ps3 doesnt decode that yet but wow the rears were fully active throughout and sounds of aliens scurrying had me looking around
behind me plenty.

subwoofer sheesh, hope you have a good one.

anyway liked the first didnt like the second.

audio great on both
picture better on 1, disappointing on 2.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
>> Maybe watching the extended version helped

Do you know if you get the extended/unrated version of AVP in the BD 2-fer package? I'm pretty sure it is, but I'm not 100% sure. Thanks. :)

Shoot, I haven't seen Requiem yet, but I thought AVP was better than Alien 3.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
yes, both of them in the 2-fer are the same as the single release just in a cardboard cover.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I have to admit, I really liked AVP: R and I think I'm the only one.

For me, it delivered a lot more of the Alien/Predator carnage that the first one promised, and while the characters are hollow, I found myself having a good time with all of the mean-spirited violence.

I picked up the Blu-Ray last night on my way home from work (2 for $45 at Best Buy with Commando). Looking forward to checking out AVP: R's unrated version this afternoon.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
You're not the only one Matt, I watched it last night and really enjoyed it.

The black levels on this disc are horrible. So many scenes with the problem you state above. I even tried adjusting my PJ setting with no luck. Most of the indoor dark scenes were nothing but a black mess.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member

OK, I am still confused. :) AVP (the 1st one) right now on Bluray only exists in the PG-13 version:

Amazon.com: Alien vs. Predator [Blu-ray]: Sanaa Lathan,Raoul Bova,Lance Henriksen,Ewen Bremner,Colin Salmon,Tommy Flanagan,Joseph Rye,Agathe De La Boulaye,Carsten Norgaard,Sam Troughton,Petr Jákl (II),Pavel Bezdek,Kieran Bew,Carsten Voigt,Jan Pavel F

101 minutes. But there is the unrated DVD at 108 minutes. Is the version in the BD 2-fer the longer one? I just want to make absolutely sure.

I was under the impression from High Def Digest, that the unrated version of AVP wasn't coming out until later? And that it was the PG-13 one in the blu 2-pack?

Thanks !

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Both "AvP" and "AvPR" have 2 versions on Blu-ray:

*AvP:
-"PG-13 Theatrical Cut"
-"Unrated version"

Note, that "Extended version" (with "alternate opening sequence" being the only new scene) is not included (or perhaps this "alternate opening" is included in the "Unrated"-version, not 100% sure...). Basically there are 3 versions of the film available.

*AvPR:
-"R-rated Theatrical version"
-"Unrated version"

__

I have the review "in progress" of "AvPR" and I´m in the middle of listing all the added scenes ("Unrated version") to my review (I watched the film with Audio commentary and "Added Footage Marker"). These additions are not only "gore" (some of them are, though), but extended/added scenes of dialogue are also included. They don´t offer that much, but there are a few quite grim scenes in the "Unrated"-cut ("kid & chestbuster" & "pregnant woman and PredAlien")...

What comes to the "black levels" of the film (AvPR), they´re indeed very deep and slightly "crushed" to my eyes. You really have to have a completely dark room to get the best out from the dark action and monster-scenes (you don´t have to "adjust your set", though - once it´s properly calibrated in the 1st place). IMO the transfer is very good actually and those "black levels" and dark scenes are merely an artistic choice. You don´t give "lower scores" just because the "artistic look" of the film is not to your liking.

Is the film good? That´s another matter.. ;) At least it has blood and guts!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
kevin i guess i'm not following what your confused about.

both the 2 movie set and the individual releases have the same content.

both movie discs have an unrated cut and the theatrical cut.

i'm not aware of there being 3 different version of one of them as Jari mentioned.
there is an extra scene in the beginning of AvP 1 that takes place in the whaling station. there is also some scenes of added violence and just talking. the scene that intros Weyland is also extended. this is the unrated version.

i found a discussion of the ur sd-dvd, no mention of of any existing r rated version.

here is the htf review.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...r-unrated.html

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I have a dedicated theater room that is 100% blacked out. I have a Sanyo Z3 which is calibrated with AVIA. Granted it is an LCD PJ but I've never seen worse black levels with a film todate.

When there's so many complaints about the black levels with this film all over the net there's a problem, artistic choice or not, it gets a lower score because of it.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I´m sure this is one of those films where people "see" the transfer differently, but for me the certain look was intentional and Blu-ray captures that well. If people give "lower scores" for that, by all means they can do that (they should then give lower score for the "grain" with "300" etc etc). It´s not that others have to agree with that.. (this is the name of the game with every review out there)

Tony, there should be basically three versions of "Avp":

1) "PG-13" theatrical version.
2) "Extended" version, with alternate opening sequence being the only new scene.
3) "Unrated" version, with approx. 8 minutes of new material.

Original R1 DVD has BOTH "PG-13" and "Extended" (=alternate opening sequence via seamless branching) versions.

R1 "Unrated Edition" DVD has BOTH "PG-13" and "Unrated" (=with approx. 8 minutes of new material) versions.

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
I need to echo the sentiment about the Black levels.....I COULDN'T SEE ANYTHING. I am a 33 year old with decent vision and the movie was so )*&(^(*^(*ING dark I couldn't tell the difference between the Predator and Predalien in some scenes. The film is literally unwatchable. I actually stopped the movie at one point to make sure my DVD cables were still plugged in and/or I hadn't blown a lamp inside the TV.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Tony- OK, for some reason I kept getting hung on the Amazon listing which only lists it as PG-13. Then I found this, because I *still* wasn't sure:

Alien Vs. Predator (Blu-ray/Unrated + PG-13 Versions)

Cool, now I can go and look for a good price for the 2-fer. Thanks!
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Hah! I was going to blind buy this but I've just found out the UK Blu-ray doesn't feature the unrated cut, theatrical only - worst thing is I can't even import it because the US version is region locked! Thanks for saving me some cash Fox!

troy evans

Screenwriter
The black levels are a bit much on this release. I like the film and I watched the sd dvd version at a friends house and the difference is clear. I borrowed his sd dvd copy to check on my system and the Blu-ray copy by comparison is too damn dark. If it's about artistic intent then it should be evident in every release, not just the Blu-ray. Sometimes I wonder if on HDM releases they intentionally increase darkness to hide imperfections that come to light in the 1080p prints. We'll, looks like a future double dip is coming. If for just PQ improvement alone.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

This seems to be the case:
Aliens vs Predator: Requiem (UK - BD RB) in Reviews > Video Discs at DVDActive

But it also includes two "exclusive" featurettes (not found from the US-release): "AVPR: The Science of the Xenomorph" and "AVPR: The Science of the Hunter'", which is quite interesting..

This reviewer also mentions:
"When I viewed the film theatrically (yes, I was the one) I found it very difficult to actually make out what was going on because of the perpetual darkness, and this Blu-ray release is no different."

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
I purchased AVP:R a few days ago and didn't notice any exceptionally dark scenes. In fact, I was kind of surprised to log on and hear all the criticisms.

It's not a great movie by any stretch, but I always enjoy a good monster mash concept.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
From other posts I've read it was this way in the theater. Director intended I guess. Either the director had no clue to what he was doing or the scenes were shot dark to hide the poor special effects. Seriously, quite a bit of this movie is unwatchable it's so dark, it's difficult to tell who or what is on screen.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I've only watched the first 4 minutes, but the sound is awesome on the AvP:R blu. I loved the opening titles, with first the sound of the motion detector from "Aliens" then transitioning into the hum from the predators vision. After about 4 minutes my wife came in and asked me to turn it down because "all the floors are vibrating". I just decided to turn it off and watch the whole thing later when she was out. I didn't want to compromise on the sound.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member

Could this just be a calibration difference? Blu vs SD DVD on your system? Or, some hidden IRE 0 vs IRE 7.5 thing between the two players that's not being accounted for?

I *want* the get the BD set, but now I'm wondering if I should just get the SD DVD set and wait for a possible remastering of AvP:R. ??

Even Hi Def Digest notes the deep blacks. They don't say that they're too dark (i.e., a problem with the mastering) but they definitely note how dark they are.

I *really* don't want to have to get both versions to compare on my own system. :)

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
I went out and bought the SD version to see if the transfer was better. It was slightly better, but still too dark. You literally can't see things. Who lit this movie, Ray Charles ???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.