Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Lionsgate starting to work on its Republic catalog?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#41 of 47 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 04:10 AM

I checked my Republic Pictures Home Entertainment VHS edition of DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS (1965) and it was released back in 1989!

I believe that this Amicus Productions horror anthology film was originally theatrically released stateside by Paramount Pictures which may or may not still have copyright ownership.

The Amicus Productions horror film THE SKULL (1965) is still under the ownership of Paramount and DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS (1965) may similarly find its way onto a DVD release via Legend Films.

Of course this is all for the present just errant speculation.

Jeff T.

#42 of 47 OFFLINE   Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinéKarine
Lionsgate has now added ULYSSES (54) for a Oct. 24th release. (source: DVDEmpire)

If this pace keeps up, we might get JOHNNY GUITAR sooner than we thought! Posted Image

I don't think that ULYSSES is a Republic property.

I've got my fingers crossed for JOHNNY GUITAR too!

#43 of 47 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,308 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 10:06 AM

I have the old Wellspring release of Ulysses and will upgrade if the transfer is improved. Certainly, the cover jacket is an improvement. This was an Italian (not U.S.) production circa 1954 so was it wide screen? Lionsgate is also releasing a "Special Edition" of Capricorn One on DVD on October 14, 2008. No details on the "extras" which would make it a special edition but hopefully it will be a better transfer than the old Artisan disc and anamorphic as well.

#44 of 47 OFFLINE   vidmarc

vidmarc

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 11:36 PM

Lionsgate also have Alberto De Martino's 1977 fun Omen rip-off Rain of Fire (aka Holocaust 2000) scheduled for release on 28 October.

#45 of 47 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,652 posts

Posted August 06 2008 - 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas T
I have the old Wellspring release of Ulysses and will upgrade if the transfer is improved. Certainly, the cover jacket is an improvement. This was an Italian (not U.S.) production circa 1954 so was it wide screen?

ULYSSES was originally planned and announced for 3-D. They even made a promotional View-Master reel for it. But just before the start of principal photography, those plans were scrapped and the film was shot for widescreen instead.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#46 of 47 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted October 17 2008 - 01:08 AM

From ClassicFlix:
Quote:
Without any explanation, **Lions Gate** has removed the Kirk Douglas film Ulysses (1954) from their schedule. No reasons were given and no future release date has been set.

Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#47 of 47 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,308 posts

Posted October 17 2008 - 06:06 AM

First Kino drops Man On The Eiffel Tower from its schedule with no explanation and now Lionsgate does the same thing with Ulysses. Hmmm ... I'm hoping they discovered better film elements and are remastering, otherwise one would think that before announcing a title that everything would be in place for a release but then there's the Fox delays that hounded both Laura and Boomerang after being announced then pulled before their eventual release.

Forum Nav Content I Follow