Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Lionsgate starting to work on its Republic catalog?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#21 of 47 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted April 16 2008 - 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana martin
How can access to materials be limited if they have the negatives, through different mergers and acquisitions, if you can trust Wikipedia they have the second largest film library, and I think that is before the fact that Paramount relicend the Republic catalog titles back to them.

Through these they have gathered some truly magical items, such as the Hal Roach period little rascals. With the current interest in short subject matter, such as the Stooges, the different animated features, from Popeye, Loony Tunes, I don’t see why a set of Chronological Little Rascals/Our Gang comedies is not being worked on, but if that was to happen I would hope that they have the good sense to do what Cabin Fever did and release them unedited, and yes I would want Maltin on the disc as a guide, because he is a true Rascals Aficionado.

Another item that I have with Lionsgate, is last year when Paramount and WB geared up for the John Wayne Centennial celebration, where were they, we got repackaged versions of old Artisan titles, these should have been cleaned up and presented correctly then, and while we are at it, where is Angel and the Badman, yes I know it is in the PD, but it was originaly a Republic title, so I would assume that the original negative is still in the library, this deserves an official release

if i am wrong in these facts will let us know.

Having distribution rights, and having accesses to the original film elements maybe two different things. The owners of the actual film elements (in the case of most of the Republic library that is Paramount) may not be in a big hurry to find the best elements for a third party.

Also the original elements for some films may not exist anymore. It might be a case like RKO where elements were destroyed to recover the silver content. I know as recently as the early 90s there were some good elements of the Spy Smasher and The Masked Marvel because Republic released them on VHS. I wonder if Paramount now has those?

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#22 of 47 OFFLINE   Stefan Andersson

Stefan Andersson

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted April 16 2008 - 07:27 PM

Dick, Oscar, Jeffrey: sorry for taking so long in answering. My bad: I was referring to the Criterion LD of BODY SNATCHERS, but I misremembered. This LD stuck in my mind because it was 2.35 (very desirable after watching P & S TV copies of a masked print) but of course the hospital sequences are still there. Doubt very much if there is an LD without them.

#23 of 47 OFFLINE   ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted April 16 2008 - 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana martin
Now on to the Fleischer animated properties, which ones were you expressly talking about, Betty Boop as WB has and agreement for the Popeyes, and are including the full and complete Gulliver’s Travels as a bonus feature on it’ s next Popeye Set. Would I welcome a chronological Betty Boop set of restored cartoons, I am waiting, in hopes of more classic animation.

The Republic library includes the Betty Boop, Screen Songs, KoKo The Clown, Animated Antics, Stone-Age and Color Classics cartoons from the Fleischer studio, plus the 1942-1950 non-Popeye cartoons from the Famous studio.

Gulliver's Travels has been dropped from the upcoming Popeye V2:

http://www.cartoonbr....onus-materials

#24 of 47 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted April 16 2008 - 11:46 PM

Damn , I was looking forward to seeing what WB would do with that animated feature, but I have to agree that it was sounding kind of crowded, for a two disc set, as for the rest of the Fleischer material, if Lionsgate wanted to do these they would need to step up and do these correctly.
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#25 of 47 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,847 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 01 2008 - 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinéKarine
DVD Empire is listing ONLY THE VALIANT (51) with Gregory Peck and Barbara Payton for a July 1st release.
It's been so many years since I watched this film that I can't remember when the last time I've seen it? Perhaps, all the way back to the "Million Dollar Movie" on Channel 9 or "Late Show/Late, Late Show/Late, Late, Late Show" on Channel 2 days back in NYC.

Anyhow, I forgot how good of a western this film is and why Gregory Peck was one of my favorite actors. This isn't a well known western, but it's a good one with some fine character actors in it like Ward Bond, Lon Chaney Jr, Neville Brand and Steve Brodie as well as some great action scenes. The dvd video presentation is mediocre at best, but it's not terrible either, considering how these film elements were probably treated over the last 55 years or so. Let's remember, this was a Cagney production, yes those Cagneys, James and his brother William's production company after James left Warner. The film was distributed by Warner. By the way, I got this from Amazon for $9 and it was an amount well spent for such a good western that I can enjoy time and again for many years to come.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#26 of 47 OFFLINE   ted:r

ted:r

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted July 01 2008 - 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Perhaps, all the way back to the "Million Dollar Movie" on Channel 9 or "Late Show/Late, Late Show/Late, Late, Late Show" on Channel 2 days back in NYC.

Pretty much off topic, but...

Man, both of those bring back memories. I think I first saw "The Roaring Twenties" on MDM. And often I flash back to the LS animation with the Charlie Chaplin thing. Remember when you could see B&W movies on regular TV? Now its hard to find B&W anywhere on the dial, unless TVLand is replaying "Andy Griffith".

Sometimes, I guess, progress is over-rated.

(I know...I'm turning into a curmudgeon...but I tell ya, Scrooge was under-rated...)
"I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived a few weeks while she loved me."

My 25 most wanted DVDs: Chilly Scenes Of Winter (1979); The Dead (1987); The African Queen (1951); Johnny Guitar (1954); The Sterile Cuckoo (1969); The Friends Of Eddie Coyle (1973); The Rain People (196...

#27 of 47 OFFLINE   James 'Tiger' Lee

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted July 01 2008 - 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
I believe IOTBS (1956) is indeed now a Lionsgate property. I completely agree with you that it cries out for a decent remaster. The original release was abysmal. We now finally know that the intention of director Siegel was that the film be released without the bookend hospital sequence that resulted in a hopeful ending, and that it be released at 1.33:1, which was the OAR during filming. The distributor altered this and released it in 2.00:1 "Superscope" to appease the 1956 movie crowds who were more and more demanding of widescreen presentations. Finding a 1.33:1 negative or excellent print might be challenging, but even more so might be finding any copies of the original cut without McCarthy narration and hospital bookends - they might not exist. Trying to re-cut the current version to resemble the director's preferred version could be tricky as hell, and I can't envision Lionsgate investing in such an effort. But we can dream, can't we?

I think it is most unlikely that the film was to be released at 1.33:1. By that time, all Hollywood films were widescreen of some nature. Most likely Siegel intended the film to be 1.85:1

#28 of 47 OFFLINE   Fabian Kusch

Fabian Kusch

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'Tiger' Lee
I think it is most unlikely that the film was to be released at 1.33:1. By that time, all Hollywood films were widescreen of some nature. Most likely Siegel intended the film to be 1.85:1

There is continuing debate about the correct aspect ratio of INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, probably since no one asked Don Siegel or DoP Ellsworth Fredericks about it when they were alive.

American Cinematographer released an article in 1997 though that tells us of producer Walter Wanger's reaction to Allied Artists' decision to release the film in "Widescreen":

Quote:
Wanger was horrified to learn that the Allied execs opted to release the picture in SuperScope, an anamorphic widescreen process introduced by RKO Radio in 1954. It differed from CinemaScope in that the photography was done with normal lenses; the images were squeezed at the printing stage rather than in the camera. Wanger argued that a duped image would not do justice to Dana Wynter’s beauty, that the carefully wrought compositions would be ruined, and that the widescreen effect would make the picture resemble recent inferior anamorphic sci-fi pictures Again, he was overruled – widescreen was considered a "must” at the time due to the perceived competition with television for audiences.

Incidentally, Wanger was dead right on all counts. The damage caused by this last-minute decision can hardly be exaggerated. Fredericks had composed the picture for the 1.33:1 ratio, and the image-chopping required to obtain the 2:1 ratio needed for SuperScope not only destroyed the compositions, but left important details out of the frame. In addition, the images became grainier when the remaining frame was blown up to fill the wide screens. Only a very good movie could survive such butchery; somehow, Body Snatchers did.

More of it here (some in German and French)

A whole thread is dedicated to the AR debate and the previous releases of IOTBS.

#29 of 47 OFFLINE   James 'Tiger' Lee

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 03:44 AM

That article doesn't seem right. Why would they be making an 4:3 film three years after everyone else had gone widescreen. I suspect it was composed for 1.85:1. They'd have to pull some pretty damn awful tricks to get scope out of a film composed for academy

#30 of 47 OFFLINE   Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted July 02 2008 - 04:13 AM

Correct. INVASION was shot for 1.85:1, which is why the SuperScope adaptation is "less compromised" than if it were truly an Academy ratio film cropped down.

The confusion, as always, is that in shooting, they exposed a full frame negative, but half of that was not meant to be seen, of course.
-J. Theakston

#31 of 47 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 896 posts

Posted July 03 2008 - 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

Anyhow, I forgot how good of a western this film is and why Gregory Peck was one of my favorite actors. This isn't a well known western, but it's a good one with some fine character actors in it like Ward Bond, Lon Chaney Jr, Neville Brand and Steve Brodie as well as some great action scenes. The dvd video presentation is mediocre at best, but it's not terrible either, considering how these film elements were probably treated over the last 55 years or so. Let's remember, this was a Cagney production, yes those Cagneys, James and his brother William's production company after James left Warner. The film was distributed by Warner. By the way, I got this from Amazon for $9 and it was an amount well spent for such a good western that I can enjoy time and again for many years to come.

Crawdaddy

I guess with Gregory Peck, Ward Bond & Lon Chaney Jr, it's worth a try! I passed on this one at first, but I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised.

#32 of 47 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted July 23 2008 - 12:26 AM

DVD Empire is listing a 10/14 Lionsgate release of One Touch of Venus (48)....who would have thought? Nice surprise. Posted Image
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#33 of 47 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted July 23 2008 - 03:03 AM

This is definitely unexpected and very welcome, thanks!

#34 of 47 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,204 posts

Posted July 24 2008 - 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Theakston
Correct. INVASION was shot for 1.85:1, which is why the SuperScope adaptation is "less compromised" than if it were truly an Academy ratio film cropped down.

The confusion, as always, is that in shooting, they exposed a full frame negative, but half of that was not meant to be seen, of course.

Jack, what is your source of information?

#35 of 47 OFFLINE   Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted July 24 2008 - 11:40 PM

DVD Empire is also listing Arch of Triumph for 10/14 release.

#36 of 47 OFFLINE   Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted July 25 2008 - 11:02 AM

Quote:
Jack, what is your source of information?

For one, the fact that Allied Artists made it company policy that 1.85 was their aspect ratio of choice two years before INVASION was shot.

I might be wrong that the AR was 1.85:1 exactly. It might have been even composed for 2:1. But it certainly wasn't shot for the Academy ratio.
-J. Theakston

#37 of 47 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,204 posts

Posted July 29 2008 - 02:11 AM

If Lionsgate is indeed going deep into the Republic catalog, I hope they spend some serious time and money on a full restoration of THE QUIET MAN, as well as release an OAR of THE PAWNBROKER.

#38 of 47 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted August 03 2008 - 03:17 AM

Back in the late 1990s (the former) Republic Pictures Home Entertainment released a VHS tape of the U.K.-based Amicus Pictures' first (and best) horror screen anthology DR. TERRORS HOUSE OF HORRORS (1965) with Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Donald Sutherland, Michael Gough, Bernard Lee and Roy Castle.

It has definitely already been released aboard utilizing a beautifully restored and digitally remastered anamorphic widescreen video transfer.

When are we going to see a similar DVD release in North America which is long overdue?! We are always lagging behind in the real interesting film and television properties.

Jeff T.

#39 of 47 OFFLINE   James 'Tiger' Lee

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted August 03 2008 - 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffT.
Back in the late 1990s (the former) Republic Pictures Home Entertainment released a VHS tape of the U.K.-based Amicus Pictures' first (and best) horror screen anthology DR. TERRORS HOUSE OF HORRORS (1965) with Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Donald Sutherland, Michael Gough, Bernard Lee and Roy Castle.

It has definitely already been released aboard utilizing a beautifully restored and digitally remastered anamorphic widescreen video transfer.

When are we going to see a similar DVD release in North America which is long overdue?! We are always lagging behind in the real interesting film and television properties.

Jeff T.

The UK DVD is anamorphic but a German print for some reason

And if you think the DVD scene in the US is behind, you should see the UK. Hardly any cult titles at all on DVD by comparison

#40 of 47 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 02:31 AM

Lionsgate has now added ULYSSES (54) for a Oct. 24th release. (source: DVDEmpire)

If this pace keeps up, we might get JOHNNY GUITAR sooner than we thought! Posted Image
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow