What's new

Charlton Heston has died at 84! (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
One of the truly larger than life personalities/actors of his time. I hate to see him go, but it's a blessing considering the greatly diminished quality of life he suffered with Alzheimers. His 64 year marriage is one of the longest in Hollywood history.

RIP Mr. Heston

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I was listening to the movie talk show(out of Philly) on WPHT - Philadelphia - Homepage just now and heard the news.

One of the best.
watched a double of Him the other day greatest show on Earth
and The Naked Jungle.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My favorite Heston films not in any particular order of preference.
  • Planet of the Apes
  • The Naked Jungle
  • Touch of Evil
  • Dark City (Need this great film noir on DVD)
  • The Ten Commandments
  • Ben-Hur
  • Lucy Gallant (Guilty pleasure so sue me :))
  • El Cid
  • The Agony and the Ecstasy
  • Arrowhead
  • Major Dundee
  • Will Penny
  • The Big Country

Crawdaddy

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I agree with Steve that it's sad in a way, but I understand he was suffering greatly over the last decade or so, so it's a release.

Blu

Screenwriter
He defined what an epic movie actor was supposed to be like.

Rest in peace Mr. Heston.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
R.I.P. Mr. Heston. Even though it was my birthday, I still felt something was a bit "off". Damn.:frowning:

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I really missed Charlton Heston on the big screen in the last decade. He was a completely admirable person and a seriously good actor, genuine and dedicated. He was also a fine writer; his books are about life, not movie trivia. In his first feature film he gave a fully realized and polished performance. You can see his star quality in the first frame of that film. I think I'll watch it now.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
It's been quite a decline for him in the past few years, still, a sad day, but he leaves us a virtually flawless body of work.

I'm going to apologize for this up front, but I want to head off any response to a famous gun quote. I just don't think it would be appropriate.

Thank you Chuck. Godspeed.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
aargh noooo! Charlton Heston was my favorite of the great movie stars, really sad to read he had died. Many of his films are big favorites of mine, Planet of the Apes, Omega Man, Khartoum, El Cid, Ten Commandments, Agony and the Ecstacy, The Big Country and Ben-Hur is still my number one film.

RIP Chuck, you will be missed. :frowning:

42nd Street Freak

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
"From my cold, dead hand"!!!

Who's going to try it??

RIP Chuck.

Not a big fan I have to say. But you had your moments that's for sure;
"Planet of the Apes", "Soylent Green", "Two Minute Warning", "Naked Jungle", "Chiefs", "Touch of Evil".

The golden age of Hollywood survivors are getting shockingly thin on the ground now.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

This is how I feel about it, and frankly I have felt very badly for him for something like 6 years now, ever since he first went public and announced he had this disease. I have actually been hoping his suffering was short-lived, but 6 years is a long time to go through this.

Charlton Heston was a gentleman of the old school, and one of the last of our great larger than life actors. I met him in person three times over the years and he was very cordial to me on each occasion. When I sent him a personal letter one time to his home after he'd revealed he was battling prostate cancer, he took the time to actually write me back with appreciation and grace. He was known too for honoring all autograph requests, whenever fans would send photos to him at his California home.

This is a day I have wanted to come for several years, and now that the reality is here, it is still a shock and a bit uncomfortable.

Peace to you, Sir.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
As with John Wayne, I can't say I supported his politics, but he sure did command the screen. So many great performances, and such a wonderful contribution to many films.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Heston must have the longest biography section that I've ever read on the IMDB, but, this was a good day to go through it.

Here's a quote fom Richard Harris:
"Heston's the only man who could drop out of a cubic moon, he's so square. The trouble with him is he doesn't think he's a hired actor, like the rest of us. He thinks he's the entire production. He used to sit there in the mornings and clock us with a stopwatch." - After working with Charlton Heston on Major Dundee (1965)

And Heston commenting on Richard Harris:
"Richard is very much the professional Irishman. I found him a somewhat erratic personality and an occasional pain in the posterior. But we certainly never feuded."

[on Richard Harris] "He's something of a fuck-up, no question."

While they were starring in a play together in 1960, Laurence Olivier told Heston that he had the potential to become the greatest American actor of the century. When the play received unfavorable notices, Heston said, "I guess you learn to forget bad notices?", to which Olivier replied, "What's more important, laddie, and much harder -- learn to forget good notices."

I would have guessed that Tombstone was one of Charlton Heston's last roles, but he had 24 credits after that.

A long and wonderful career.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
a great actor, I got to see him at one of his last public appearances at a showing of Ten Commandments about five years ago. I've long since wished I'd stayed after to shake hands with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks