Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Charlton Heston has died at 84!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

#1 of 67 Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted April 05 2008 - 04:18 PM

Just heard the news.

~T

#2 of 67 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,212 posts

Posted April 05 2008 - 04:19 PM

One of the truly larger than life personalities/actors of his time. I hate to see him go, but it's a blessing considering the greatly diminished quality of life he suffered with Alzheimers. His 64 year marriage is one of the longest in Hollywood history.

RIP Mr. Heston
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#3 of 67 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,114 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 05 2008 - 04:22 PM

Waiting on confirmation, but I'm not surprise by this news. Another great actor from the Golden Age of Hollywood has left us. Their numbers are getting smaller and smaller. May he R.I.P.

Edit: More confirmation.

FOXNews.com - Charlton Heston Dies at Beverly Hills Home - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#4 of 67 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted April 05 2008 - 04:33 PM

Statement by the Family of Charlton Heston: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#5 of 67 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 15,991 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 05 2008 - 04:46 PM

I was listening to the movie talk show(out of Philly) on WPHT - Philadelphia - Homepage just now and heard the news.

One of the best.
watched a double of Him the other day greatest show on Earth
and The Naked Jungle.

Posted Image

Posted Image

facebook.com/whotony

#6 of 67 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,114 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 05 2008 - 04:57 PM

My favorite Heston films not in any particular order of preference.
  • Planet of the Apes
  • The Naked Jungle
  • Touch of Evil
  • Dark City (Need this great film noir on DVD)
  • The Ten Commandments
  • Ben-Hur
  • Lucy Gallant (Guilty pleasure so sue me Posted Image)
  • El Cid
  • The Agony and the Ecstasy
  • Arrowhead
  • Major Dundee
  • Will Penny
  • The Big Country

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#7 of 67 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 05 2008 - 04:58 PM

I agree with Steve that it's sad in a way, but I understand he was suffering greatly over the last decade or so, so it's a release.

#8 of 67 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,746 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 05 2008 - 05:00 PM

He will be missed.

Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#9 of 67 Blu

Blu

Screenwriter

• 1,360 posts

Posted April 05 2008 - 05:45 PM

He defined what an epic movie actor was supposed to be like.

Rest in peace Mr. Heston.

#10 of 67 Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted April 05 2008 - 06:54 PM

R.I.P. Mr. Heston. Even though it was my birthday, I still felt something was a bit "off". Damn.Posted Image

#11 of 67 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted April 05 2008 - 07:40 PM

I really missed Charlton Heston on the big screen in the last decade. He was a completely admirable person and a seriously good actor, genuine and dedicated. He was also a fine writer; his books are about life, not movie trivia. In his first feature film he gave a fully realized and polished performance. You can see his star quality in the first frame of that film. I think I'll watch it now.

#12 of 67 Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted April 05 2008 - 08:59 PM

It's been quite a decline for him in the past few years, still, a sad day, but he leaves us a virtually flawless body of work.

I'm going to apologize for this up front, but I want to head off any response to a famous gun quote. I just don't think it would be appropriate.

Thank you Chuck. Godspeed.
I don't like SPAM!

#13 of 67 MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted April 05 2008 - 09:16 PM

Sad news. Heston was a true star, and a compelling actor. He will be long remembered.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#14 of 67 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,160 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted April 05 2008 - 10:32 PM

aargh noooo! Charlton Heston was my favorite of the great movie stars, really sad to read he had died. Many of his films are big favorites of mine, Planet of the Apes, Omega Man, Khartoum, El Cid, Ten Commandments, Agony and the Ecstacy, The Big Country and Ben-Hur is still my number one film.

RIP Chuck, you will be missed. Posted Image

Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#15 of 67 42nd Street Freak

42nd Street Freak

Supporting Actor

• 636 posts

Posted April 05 2008 - 10:35 PM

"From my cold, dead hand"!!!

Who's going to try it??

RIP Chuck.

Not a big fan I have to say. But you had your moments that's for sure;
"Planet of the Apes", "Soylent Green", "Two Minute Warning", "Naked Jungle", "Chiefs", "Touch of Evil".

The golden age of Hollywood survivors are getting shockingly thin on the ground now.
BEARDY FREAK REVIEWS
www.beardyfreak.com

#16 of 67 Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 5,994 posts

Posted April 05 2008 - 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H
I agree with Steve that it's sad in a way, but I understand he was suffering greatly over the last decade or so, so it's a release.

This is how I feel about it, and frankly I have felt very badly for him for something like 6 years now, ever since he first went public and announced he had this disease. I have actually been hoping his suffering was short-lived, but 6 years is a long time to go through this.

Charlton Heston was a gentleman of the old school, and one of the last of our great larger than life actors. I met him in person three times over the years and he was very cordial to me on each occasion. When I sent him a personal letter one time to his home after he'd revealed he was battling prostate cancer, he took the time to actually write me back with appreciation and grace. He was known too for honoring all autograph requests, whenever fans would send photos to him at his California home.

This is a day I have wanted to come for several years, and now that the reality is here, it is still a shock and a bit uncomfortable.

Peace to you, Sir.

#17 of 67 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,730 posts

Posted April 05 2008 - 11:27 PM

As with John Wayne, I can't say I supported his politics, but he sure did command the screen. So many great performances, and such a wonderful contribution to many films.

#18 of 67 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted April 06 2008 - 01:00 AM

Heston must have the longest biography section that I've ever read on the IMDB, but, this was a good day to go through it.

Here's a quote fom Richard Harris:
"Heston's the only man who could drop out of a cubic moon, he's so square. The trouble with him is he doesn't think he's a hired actor, like the rest of us. He thinks he's the entire production. He used to sit there in the mornings and clock us with a stopwatch." - After working with Charlton Heston on Major Dundee (1965)

And Heston commenting on Richard Harris:
"Richard is very much the professional Irishman. I found him a somewhat erratic personality and an occasional pain in the posterior. But we certainly never feuded."

[on Richard Harris] "He's something of a fuck-up, no question."

While they were starring in a play together in 1960, Laurence Olivier told Heston that he had the potential to become the greatest American actor of the century. When the play received unfavorable notices, Heston said, "I guess you learn to forget bad notices?", to which Olivier replied, "What's more important, laddie, and much harder -- learn to forget good notices."

I would have guessed that Tombstone was one of Charlton Heston's last roles, but he had 24 credits after that.

A long and wonderful career.
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#19 of 67 JackKay

JackKay

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted April 06 2008 - 01:44 AM

rest in peace chuck
"I believe in censorship. After all, I made a fortune out of it." -Mae West

#20 of 67 Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,095 posts

Posted April 06 2008 - 01:51 AM

a great actor, I got to see him at one of his last public appearances at a showing of Ten Commandments about five years ago. I've long since wished I'd stayed after to shake hands with him.