-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"The Ocean" is crackling

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Todd Stout

Todd Stout

Screenwriter

• 1,027 posts

Posted April 04 2008 - 03:34 PM

I picked up the Led Zeppelin "The Complete Studio Recordings" box set a few weeks ago and just noticed a problem with Houses of the Holy. About 45-50 seconds or so into The Ocean there is some very distinct crackling that lasts for several seconds. The rest of the CD sounds fine and so do the other two CDs that I have listened to so far.

Is this a problem with all copies of Houses of the Holy in this box set or is it just mine?

#2 of 4 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 04 2008 - 04:19 PM

I think it's just a problem with the Ocean. It happens on every version I've ever heard. I have the original CD release and the first boxed set, and the problem is there in both versions. I also have the LP, and I'll listen to it later and see what I hear.

Don't miss the telephone ringing later in the song.

#3 of 4 Todd Stout

Todd Stout

Screenwriter

• 1,027 posts

Posted April 04 2008 - 04:38 PM

Oh wow... I guess I just never noticed that before. I have the original pressing of the Houses of the Holy CD but I don't recall hearing this sound before. Of course I first noticed the crackling on my new Sennheiser headphones and I have been noticing things that I had never heard before in a lot of my music.

#4 of 4 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 04 2008 - 04:50 PM

Try the old disc and see. I don't have the studio box, but I think you'll find the problem has just been carried over. It was one of the first things I checked when I got the original box, and I was disappointed that it hadn't been fixed.

Edit: I just listened to the LP, and I hear the crackling in the same spots. It seems to be most pronounced on "got" a date and "can't" be late.