What's new

Huge Floorstanding Speaker Question (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Dave Lawrence
Hey guys! First time poster here.

I'll apoligize in advance for the long post, but I could really use some help!

You see, I was out of my home for quite some time due to renovations, two days shy of six months to be precise.

Among many other things, my beloved giant speakers got damaged. They were a gift from the family of a departed friend of mine, so I have no idea of their cost. As well, I am assuming they are from the 80's.

They are Fisher STV-875's, with a 15" woofer, 4" midrange and 3" tweeter per cabinet. My local speaker shop, also the only main one where I live, is closing down so putting them in there to have their drivers replaced is not an option.

I am wondering of any good places to get some replacement drivers for it, or if repair is not an option, they will have to be replaced.

This is an insurance job, so I don't really have a set budget, basically whatever it takes to get me something or equal or greater value.

Considering I have wicked REPLACEMENT cost insurance, if we can't get the parts to replace, the insurance company will buy me a new set of speakers comparable.

I looked at a few popular manufacturers whom I have been happy with in the past, such as JBL and Klipsch, and for a set of JBL's home audio speakers with 15" drivers, its around 28.000 bucks! Haha thats a bit much. For a lower down set with 14" drivers, comparable to my old ones, it is around 6,000 bucks, and around the same for a decent pair of Klipsch's.

Keep in mind im only a youngin', 18 years old, and I'm sure that I can use any help taht you guys are able to give me!

Thanks!
Dave.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately your chances of getting replacement parts is nil because the Fisher brand is long gone. If you use other drivers from JBL, etc. the speakers will not sound the same as they do now.

Your best bet will be to eBay a pair. You can do a “saved search” and get an e-mail notification anytime some come up for auction. I get the impression from your post that only the drivers were damaged, not the cabinets, which means you could buy a not-so-pristine pair for a lower price. It’s easy enough to change out the drivers – just the screws that hold them in, and two wires (just make sure you get the same colored wire back on the terminal you disconnect from).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Real Name
Dave Lawrence
Thanks for your input Wayne, but its pretty much either get replacement drivers or buy a new set, since its an insurance job. I don't really have the luxury of waiting around to find some on eBay or the like.

Basically I need some info about replacement drivers, though it looks like I won't be getting any, or info on decent comparable new speakers on the market currently. I need this info to go to the insurance adjustor with so he can do the payout or whatever.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Partsexpress.com and Madisound.com are two places to look for replacement drivers, both generic and name brand, but you won't find any original drivers used in your Fisher speakers, except (but un-likely) on the used market.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
"For a lower down set with 14" drivers, comparable to my old ones, it is around 6,000 bucks"

Those $6,000 JBL's are not comparable at all to Fisher speakers. Those Fishers were sold at places like JCPennys back in the late 1980's and early 90's, they were relativly inexpensive. They are comparable to KLH who I think still sells large floorstanding speakers with a 15" driver for around $150 a set. My grandmother has a complete Fisher setup with probably the same speakers you are talking about. I think my buddy also just threw out a set that belonged to his deceased mother. I dont know why nobody has mentioned it but in all honestly you would probably be better off just tossing them and getting something completely different.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Jimi C is correct, the cost of reparing them would probably far outstrip what they are worth. Get what you can from the insurance money and put it towards new speakers.

Also, don't concentrate on how "big" everything is. 15" this and 14" that is not the proper way to evaluate good speakers. The size of a driver an/or the size of the speaker itself matters very little as far as quality is concerned. You can get cheap tower speakers and you can get high quality tower speakers and the size of each won't tell you which is which.

You can also get top notch sound out of a satellite and sub system. Matter of fact, modern tower speakers are sometimes more difficult to set up compared to a sub and satellites due to sub frequencies causing standing waves. This cannot be solved too easily because by nature the towers cannot be repostitioned in the room, whereas a sub can be moved easily.

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
Were they the ones with the white cones? :)
My friends bought a pair to take to college back in the early 90's and had to admit that they were crap. They fell for the "15 INCH WOOFER OMG!!" factor. :frowning:
You can do alot better, so do a little searching.

cookymann

Auditioning
Real Name
Cook
I have a pair of Fisher STV-875's you can have for $100. One 15" speaker was replaced, but they've been sitting unused for quite a while. Decent shape. $100 they're yours.

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonas

You'll have to private message them because they probably don't remember this thread.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Just in case the OP is still keeping track of this thread: this is the closest I know of to those big Fishers:

American Acoustics Labs traditional "bookshelf" speakers

8" woofer up to 12". White cones too!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
FYI: the 10" and 12" models have 4 ohm impedance ratings.

Or this closeout AAL floorstander with dual twelves: AAL212

headknocker

Agent
Real Name
Kevin
I had a Fisher rack system back in the day..around twenty years ago. The double casette deck eventually died and the amp on the receiver shorted out after 7-8 years.

My mom still has the Fisher CD player which I bought seperately from Crazy Eddie's. In fact, the CD player and the speakers(with the white and black 10" woofers
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
are still being used in her den.

I remember thinking that I was experiencing audio bliss when I fired up that rack system for the first time
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
:laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks