-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Panasonic Plasma Anti-glare vs. Anti-reflective Coating

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 blueblazer22x

blueblazer22x

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted April 03 2008 - 12:04 PM

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these two different screen coatings.

I've read that some prefer the anti-glare coating found on most 2007 Panasonic plasmas to the new anti-reflective coating found on the 2008 models (as per CNET and some Amazon customer reviews).

I'm specifically considering buying a 50PZ77U (2007 anti-glare) or a 46PZ85U (2008 anti-reflective). These models are comparable in price on Amazon, with the newer 2008 model having a better feature set and better specs overall. However, if the 2007 anti-glare screens are far superior, I would most likely go with the older model.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

#2 of 4 Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,316 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted April 04 2008 - 02:04 AM

generally speaking, always buy newer

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#3 of 4 plasmasown

plasmasown

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted April 04 2008 - 09:14 PM

They say the 2008 anti-reflective is a little bit better with color accuracy but it is very minimal. It really comes down to user preference. Visit your local Bestbuy and see for yourself which one you like. I personally like the anti-glare because it looks more glossy and vibrant. The colors look amazing.

#4 of 4 GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB

Second Unit

• 467 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted April 05 2008 - 02:31 AM

This article includes a good description from NIST of how anti-glare/reflection screen coatings affect image quality: http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ive.htm .

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"