Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SPHE Press Release: What's Happening!!: The Complete Series

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,022 posts

Posted April 03 2008 - 08:27 AM

HEY, HEY, HEY!
Raj, Rerun, Dwayne and the Gang are Back … One Last Time!

WHAT’S HAPPENING!!:
THE COMPLETE SERIES

All 65 Episodes of the ‘70s Sitcom Classic Arrive in
One Brand New Space-Saver Set

AVAILABLE ON DVD JUNE 10

New Economical Packaging Saves Fans Shelf Space and Money Too!!

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (April 7, 2008) –What’s Happening!! fans will be able to complete their TV DVD collections when the funky ‘70s urban TV comedy What’s Happening!!: The Complete Series comes to DVD from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. The series, arriving June 10, is one of the first two titles slated to arrive in Sony’s brand new exclusive space-saver packaging, designed to save space and provide excellent value. The compact box is jam-packed with 9 discs and includes every one of the series’ 65 laugh-filled episodes. What’s Happening!!: The Complete Series will be available for $59.95 SRP.

Starring Ernest Thomas as Raj, Fred Berry as Rerun, Haywood Nelson as Dwayne, Danielle Spencer as Dee, and Shirley Hemphill as Shirley, What’s Happening!! was created by Eric Monte (TV’s “Good Times”) and executive produced by Bud Yorkin (TV’s “Sanford and Son”). What’s Happening!! is set in urban Los Angeles and centers around Raj, Dwayne and Rerun, three best friends whose numerous get-rich-quick schemes never fail to land them in trouble. Based on Monte’s critically acclaimed movie, Cooley High, the show debuted in 1976 for a limited four-week run on ABC. It instantly won over viewers with its talented cast and signature phrases like Rerun’s “Hey Hey Hey!” and Dee’s “Oooh, I’m gonna tell Mamma” and became a solid top-ten hit that lasted for three seasons.

DVD Special Features Include:
•Digitally Remastered Audio and Video
•Full-Screen Presentations
•Audio: English
•Bonus Previews
•Closed Captioned

Broadcast Year:1976 – 1979 (ABC)

What’s Happening!!: The Complete Series has a run time of approximately 1605 minutes and is not rated. Artwork is available at Welcome to SPHE Connect. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at Sony Pictures.

DVD Catalog # 25955
UPC Code: 0-43396-25955-3
Order Date: 5/8/08
SLP: $59.95

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 30 OFFLINE   RichieMagoo

RichieMagoo

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted April 03 2008 - 12:33 PM

I'm gonna tell Momma! Figures...I just ordered the indicidual seasons literally the day before this was announced!- S'alright, thougth...I got 'em really cheap. (I was probably the only white kid in the 70's to have a crush on Dee!)

#3 of 30 OFFLINE   Shawn_Sm

Shawn_Sm

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted April 03 2008 - 08:04 PM

How about more What's Happening Now!! ?

#4 of 30 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted April 03 2008 - 10:06 PM

It's a fun show, but it makes me sick that this repackaging stuff is the type of thing Sony is concentrating on instead of getting the rest of ALL IN THE FAMILY out there.

#5 of 30 OFFLINE   Robert13

Robert13

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted April 04 2008 - 01:33 AM

Exactly! There are some great Shirley episodes on Season 2. They need to release more of this show first...OR release "What's Happening Now!! The Complete Series". I'd buy it on the day of release! Posted Image

#6 of 30 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,548 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted April 04 2008 - 09:49 AM

I'm only going to buy it if they correct the missing recap on part 2 of the Doobie Brothers episode and reinstate the missing tags in some season 3 episodes. Otherwise no sale.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#7 of 30 OFFLINE   David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,108 posts

Posted April 04 2008 - 05:57 PM

Hey ! Hey ! Hey !
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#8 of 30 OFFLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 646 posts

Posted April 05 2008 - 12:40 AM

What does everyone think of this new hub packaging? From the picture, it looks like the kind of hub with a spindle you get when you buy blank dvds, so you just stack them on top of each other. Should it be stored flat or vertically?
Posted Image
"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#9 of 30 OFFLINE   RichieMagoo

RichieMagoo

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted April 05 2008 - 06:13 AM

That packaging makes me glad that I have the individual seasons instead! Nice way to ensure that the discs will get scratched...and if you want to watch disc 9, ya have to take out all the other discs? What bonehead came up with this idea?

#10 of 30 OFFLINE   David Levine

David Levine

Supporting Actor

• 502 posts

Posted April 05 2008 - 07:24 AM

Easy money and a way to get rid of excess inventory. It's a total win/win for the studios to do these sets.

#11 of 30 OFFLINE   Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted April 05 2008 - 01:09 PM

I like the space-saving ideas for this and Soap, but truth be told, give me more Jeffersons and Facts Of Life

#12 of 30 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted April 06 2008 - 01:00 AM

If I were a studio chief, I'd be thrilled. But as a fan awaiting other seasons of other shows for the first time, that doesn't help me.

#13 of 30 OFFLINE   David Levine

David Levine

Supporting Actor

• 502 posts

Posted April 06 2008 - 03:55 AM

Right, but it really shouldn't affect the release of other shows as it won't take much time or budget to put together. It's not a case of "we could put out What's Happening!! or we could put out a different show". The discs are already authored and replicated. All the legal work is done - there is nothing to clear. All that needs to be done is 1 new piece of (pretty simple) artwork and the discs need to be inserted into the new packaging.

#14 of 30 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,513 posts

Posted April 07 2008 - 02:31 PM

This has to be a new low in crappy packaging by a major studio. I can't believe they're actually going to release discs stacked on a spindle. I expect it with public domain titles, but not from Sony.

#15 of 30 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,548 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted April 07 2008 - 05:14 PM

Why don't I just leave my existing discs on the floor, then?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#16 of 30 OFFLINE   Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted June 03 2008 - 07:18 AM

I just received this set, and I have to tell you it's a piece of s**t. The tray is a flimsy black plastic thing that slides out of the case like the picture above. The discs are stacked upon each other, so hope that you don't get some dust in there and the discs slide around because you'll have a nice circle scratch. The best part - the discs only take up HALF the spindle, so the "compact package" could actually be half the size it is. And to think Sony actually issued a press release touting this packaging. Barf. Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#17 of 30 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,548 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted June 03 2008 - 07:51 AM

Are the disc contents the same?

#18 of 30 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,282 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted June 03 2008 - 10:44 AM

It appears to be the same. Three seasons (65 episodes) spread over 9 discs. As noted previously, the discs are stacked on a spindle in a plastic case. There is a cardboard cutout which is inserted on top of the spindles, so the set can be stored upright without having to worry about the discs falling out. The outer box measures 7.5" tall x 5 3/8" wide x 1.5" deep, so the height and width are the same as a standard DVD keepcase. The main attraction is the price -- $14/season at Deep Discount's price of $42.89. The packaging of the complete series of SOAP is the same size.
Rich Gallagher

#19 of 30 OFFLINE   Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted June 03 2008 - 10:59 AM

Richard, don't you feel that this is one of the cheapest packages you've seen? The quality just reeks of cheapness. Unfortunately you can't even substitute the plastic guts for double-slim cases; they don't fit inside. Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#20 of 30 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,548 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted June 03 2008 - 12:05 PM

I told you that Sony held its TV properties in contempt. Some people were upset about Fox, Paramount, and Warner releasing complete series sets, but at least they had decent packaging (I haven't heard that they were as bad as this).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users