-

Photo

Hammer Box-set: Icons of Adventure available June 10th

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 Stephen PI

Stephen PI

Second Unit

• 460 posts

Posted April 03 2008 - 05:59 AM

From the 'Classic Horror Film Board': Sony's "Icons of Adventure" (Hammer) set officially announced - Classic Horror on DVD - Classic Horror in Other Media - Classic Horror Film Board - Message Board - Yuku
"Icons of Adventure" (US - Region 1) contains the following Sony/Columbia Hammer Films:
1) Terror of the Tongs
2) Stranglers of Bombay
3) Pirates of Blood River
4) Devil-Ship Pirates
Steve Pickard

#2 of 34 WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted April 03 2008 - 11:47 AM

Very cool. 6/10 is the release date

#3 of 34 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted April 08 2008 - 10:52 PM

The 'Icons of Adventure' 2-disc set details from digitallyobsessed.com:

Four classic action-adventure films from the legendary Hammer Studios make their DVD debuts when Sony Pictures Home Entertainment releases Icons of Adventure on June 10. The must-have collection for action-craving fans includes The Stranglers of Bombay (1960), and three films featuring legendary horror icon Christopher Lee: The Devil-Ship Pirates (1964), The Terror of the Tongs (1961) and The Pirates of Blood River (1962). The extensive bonus features including the 1935 short subject Hot Paprika, the 1936 color cartoon The Merry Mutineers and the first chapter of the action-packed serial The Great Adventures of Captain Kidd. The two-disc DVD will be available for $24.96 SRP.

The Pirates of Blood River (1962) stars Glenn Corbett, Kerwin Mathews (The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad), Christopher Lee, Oliver Reed (Tommy, The Three Musketeers), Andrew Keir, and Peter Arne. This swashbuckling adventure features an invasion of pirates on an island reputed to have buried treasure. The salty English refugees who inhabit the island have other plans for the scoundrels, however, and proceed to kick them off the island.

The Devil-Ship Pirates (1964) stars Christopher Lee, Guy Rolfe, Allen Cuthbertson, Andrew Cruickshank, and George Pastell. In the 16th century, the pirate ship „Diablo‰ joins forces with the Spanish Armada until it becomes evident that the Armada will not win. Fleeing the battle, the pirate ship sails into an isolated port where the villagers conclude that the Armada has won and the ship is part of the Spanish invasion forces. Brutal pirates take full advantage of this situation until a band of villagers rise up and destroy the evil pirates and their Devil-Ship.

The Stranglers of Bombay (1960) stars Guy Rolfe, Allen Cuthbertson, Andrew Cruickshank, and George Pastell. In 1820's India, followers of a religious cult, who worship Kali, goddess of destruction, murder hundreds of travelers each year by strangling them with silk cloth, robbing them and interring their bodies in mass graves. Captain Lewis (Rolfe) finally solves the mystery, but loses a fellow officer in the process.

The Terror of the Tongs (1961) stars Geoffrey Toone, Christopher Lee, Barbara Brown, and Marie Burke. British merchant sea captain Toone sets out to crush the Red Dragon Tong, a secret society terrorizing Hong Kong in 1910. Toone goes on a rampage when his daughter and servant are murdered by Lee's henchmen. He hooks up with a former slave, and together they incite a riot which destroys Lee and his group of bandits.

DVD Special Features Include:
* Digitally Remastered Audio and Video
* Full Screen Presentation*
* Audio Commentary for Each Film
* Original Theatrical Trailers
* Cartoon: The Merry Mutineers
* Chapter One of the Serial: The Great Adventures of Captain Kidd (1951)
* Short Subject: Hot Paprika

The Pirates of Blood River has a running time of 87 minutes and is not rated. The Devil-Ship Pirates has a running time of 89 minutes and is not rated. The Stranglers of Bombay has a running time of 80 minutes and is not rated. The Terror of the Tongs has a running time of 80 minutes and is not rated.

DVD Catalog #24315
UPC Code: 043396243156
Order Date: 5/8/2008
SLP: $24.96

*I hope that's wrong...
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#4 of 34 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,388 posts

Posted April 09 2008 - 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
The 'Icons of Adventure' 2-disc set details from digitallyobsessed.com:

Four classic action-adventure films from the legendary Hammer Studios make their DVD debuts when Sony Pictures Home Entertainment releases Icons of Adventure on June 10. The must-have collection for action-craving fans includes The Stranglers of Bombay (1960), and three films featuring legendary horror icon Christopher Lee: The Devil-Ship Pirates (1964), The Terror of the Tongs (1961) and The Pirates of Blood River (1962). The extensive bonus features including the 1935 short subject Hot Paprika, the 1936 color cartoon The Merry Mutineers and the first chapter of the action-packed serial The Great Adventures of Captain Kidd. The two-disc DVD will be available for $24.96 SRP.

The Pirates of Blood River (1962) stars Glenn Corbett, Kerwin Mathews (The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad), Christopher Lee, Oliver Reed (Tommy, The Three Musketeers), Andrew Keir, and Peter Arne. This swashbuckling adventure features an invasion of pirates on an island reputed to have buried treasure. The salty English refugees who inhabit the island have other plans for the scoundrels, however, and proceed to kick them off the island.

The Devil-Ship Pirates (1964) stars Christopher Lee, Guy Rolfe, Allen Cuthbertson, Andrew Cruickshank, and George Pastell. In the 16th century, the pirate ship „Diablo‰ joins forces with the Spanish Armada until it becomes evident that the Armada will not win. Fleeing the battle, the pirate ship sails into an isolated port where the villagers conclude that the Armada has won and the ship is part of the Spanish invasion forces. Brutal pirates take full advantage of this situation until a band of villagers rise up and destroy the evil pirates and their Devil-Ship.

The Stranglers of Bombay (1960) stars Guy Rolfe, Allen Cuthbertson, Andrew Cruickshank, and George Pastell. In 1820's India, followers of a religious cult, who worship Kali, goddess of destruction, murder hundreds of travelers each year by strangling them with silk cloth, robbing them and interring their bodies in mass graves. Captain Lewis (Rolfe) finally solves the mystery, but loses a fellow officer in the process.

The Terror of the Tongs (1961) stars Geoffrey Toone, Christopher Lee, Barbara Brown, and Marie Burke. British merchant sea captain Toone sets out to crush the Red Dragon Tong, a secret society terrorizing Hong Kong in 1910. Toone goes on a rampage when his daughter and servant are murdered by Lee's henchmen. He hooks up with a former slave, and together they incite a riot which destroys Lee and his group of bandits.

DVD Special Features Include:
* Digitally Remastered Audio and Video
* Full Screen Presentation*
* Audio Commentary for Each Film
* Original Theatrical Trailers
* Cartoon: The Merry Mutineers
* Chapter One of the Serial: The Great Adventures of Captain Kidd (1951)

The Pirates of Blood River has a running time of 87 minutes and is not rated. The Devil-Ship Pirates has a running time of 89 minutes and is not rated. The Stranglers of Bombay has a running time of 80 minutes and is not rated. The Terror of the Tongs has a running time of 80 minutes and is not rated.

DVD Catalog #24315
UPC Code: 043396243156
Order Date: 5/8/2008
SLP: $24.96

*I hope that's wrong...

I hope thats wrong too. That would be horrible after so long for these to be released and then to get butchered versions.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#5 of 34 Brent S

Brent S

Stunt Coordinator

• 243 posts

Posted April 09 2008 - 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson

Note: a 1935 Andy Clyde comedy

#6 of 34 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts

Posted April 09 2008 - 10:51 AM

Buy.com has it as:

Keep Case
2-Disc Set
Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio:
Mono - English

Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#7 of 34 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts

Posted April 09 2008 - 08:02 PM

Time to relax. DVD Drive-in has the art and specs:

Sony will be releasing a set of adventure epics from Hammer Films, but here are some more details, as well as the final cover art (above). On June 10, Sony will release a 2-DVD set called “Icons of Adventure: The Hammer Films Collection Vol. 1”. The set will include THE STRANGLERS OF BOMBAY, THE TERROR OF THE TONGS, PIRATES OF BLOOD RIVER and DEVIL SHIP PIRATES. According to Sony’s publicity site, all four titles will be presented in their original aspect ratios with anamorphic enhancement. All four titles will have audio commentaries (some of them with legendary Hammer screenwriter Jimmy Sangster), and other extras will include original theatrical trailers, the cartoon: “The Merry Mutineers” (1936), Chapter One of the Serial: “The Great Adventures of Captain Kidd” (1951) and the short subject: “Hot Paprika” (1935) starring Andy Clyde. The SRP is $24.96. Note that this is “Vol. 1” of a “Hammer Films Collection.”
Film Journal Blog

#8 of 34 CULTMAN1

CULTMAN1

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted April 13 2008 - 02:57 AM

I see this is volume 1 of a series. Does anyone know if Sony will release another set for Halloween? if so which titles do they own the US rights to?

#9 of 34 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts

Posted April 13 2008 - 04:01 AM

Speculation is that it's a Peter Cushing / Christopher Lee themed set with 'The Gorgon' and 'The Creeping Flesh', plus others; maybe 'Corruption', 'Scream of Fear'?
Film Journal Blog

#10 of 34 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted April 13 2008 - 04:02 AM

Quote:
I see this is volume 1 of a series. Does anyone know if Sony will release another set for Halloween? if so which titles do they own the US rights to?

Aside from Revenge of Frankenstein which has already been released they have enough Hammer Horror to make for an interesting set.

Off the top of my head

The Gorgon
The Two Faces of Dr Jekyll
Maniac
The Old Dark House
Taste of Fear
Death before Streaming!

#11 of 34 CULTMAN1

CULTMAN1

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted April 13 2008 - 08:10 AM

there is also Camp on blood island too although this could join a hammer war set The Snorkel and yesterday's enemy etc

#12 of 34 Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,060 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted April 13 2008 - 09:07 AM

They gotta throw CASH ON DEMAND into the next set...please please PLEASE. One of Peter Cushing's best performances, and ditto for costar Andre Morell.

#13 of 34 Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 5,998 posts

Posted April 13 2008 - 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K

Aside from Revenge of Frankenstein which has already been released they have enough Hammer Horror to make for an interesting set.

Off the top of my head

The Gorgon
The Two Faces of Dr Jekyll
Maniac
The Old Dark House
Taste of Fear

They should spruce up the transfer of REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN and include it in the Hammer Horror Collection. The individual DVD looks murky.

#14 of 34 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,388 posts

Posted April 15 2008 - 03:08 AM

Curse of the Mummy's Tomb is another one that I would think would definately be included since it has never had any video release in the U.S.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#15 of 34 Darrell Bratz

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted April 16 2008 - 05:08 AM

I'd sure like THESE ARE THE DAMNED to fit in here somewhere.

#16 of 34 CULTMAN1

CULTMAN1

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted April 20 2008 - 06:40 AM

cashvon demand is a thriller so that would make stand alone release..... still need to see it released though at some point...

#17 of 34 Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted April 30 2008 - 04:07 AM

Oh dear... How public domain looking is this cover art!?

Posted Image

#18 of 34 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts

Posted April 30 2008 - 04:49 AM

Blimey, first 'The Man Who Could Cheat Death' and now this; 'Hammer' still means something, you'd think they'd see it as a plus and slap it on the cover. Not THAT cover of course, something better, let's say, that wasn't Photoshopped in under five minutes...

Hey ho, at least we are going to get the films.
Film Journal Blog

#19 of 34 JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 856 posts

Posted April 30 2008 - 07:40 AM

THE TERROR OF THE TONGS (1961) should have been saved for a possible Hammer Films horror film DVD collection along with THE TWO FACES OF DR. JEKYLL (1960), THE GORGON (1964) and THE CURSE OF THE MUMMY'S TOMB (1964).

In its stead for the Hammer Films adventure films DVD collection THE SWORD OF SHERWOOD FOREST (1961) should have been included. Anyway it's certainly great to see some of these rarities being made available finally!

These were all released through Columbia Pictures incidentally...I say so that it's understood that all these aforementioned titles were not arbitrarily suggested!

Jeff T.

#20 of 34 Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 974 posts

Posted April 30 2008 - 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Howson
Oh dear... How public domain looking is this cover art!?

Posted Image

My God! That's.... hideous! It makes the discs looks like they should have a retail of $2.99 in a Wal-Mart bin.

Where the hell is "HAMMER"? That means something to some of us - who might buy the thing.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow