Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Speakers are Ugly!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   KIWIBOY

KIWIBOY

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted April 02 2008 - 06:01 PM

.... well, thats what my wife says! Hence the ultimatium. Find something that is small, asethically pleasing and sounds good. Price is a consideration, but not a huge obstacle. My setup is Denon AVC3808, Denon DVD, Sony BlueRay/HDD, CATV box and Sony 52 Plasma mounted on the wall. Looking for small, well designed speakers for front, centre, rear and sub. In wall a possible option. Have considered in-ceiling but it just does not seem to Gel in terms of where my ears are in relation to the screen! Many thanks!!

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter

• 1,131 posts

Posted April 02 2008 - 08:55 PM

I've been impressed with Vienna Acoustics on-wall speakers, they are trendy, blend well with your flat panel tv, wife friendly, and sound great. If you have an opportunity, audition the Schönberg Series: Webern x 3, Berg x 2, Subson x 1. Martin Logan has a number of on-wall (Fresco i or Vignette), and in-wall (Voyage, Passage or Ticket) options, I haven't had an opportunity to audition these but they are definitely wife-friendly and aesthetically pleasing.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted April 02 2008 - 10:56 PM

I personally think the B&W 805's are some pretty sharp looking speakers. B&W also makes some on-walls to match up with the size of your plasma.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted April 03 2008 - 02:19 AM

I say get a new wife. Speakers are beautiful! Posted Image
--ignore the man behind the curtain

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted April 03 2008 - 08:30 PM

Hate to sound like a broken record but IMO these are still some of the best looking speakers I know of (small or full size):

Infinity Cascade Series

Wall or stand mounted, looks like something in a modern art museum.

For a conventional "box" speaker, Focal's super-slick Chorus series is hard to beat (and sound great too).

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   KIWIBOY

KIWIBOY

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted April 04 2008 - 08:13 PM

Many thanks Alan, Have you auditioned SpeakerCraft at all? Hard to find much information on their website as its so poorly designed (the website that is). I will follow your advice and have a listen to the Vienna Acoustics as I think there is a dealer not too far away. Many Thanks SAM

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   John Gates

John Gates

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted April 06 2008 - 01:00 PM

These don't get much press anymore, but they sound TERRIFIC and some (my wife included) swear they are more works of visual art than speakers.

Norh Loudspeaker and high-end audio manufacturer

They come in hardwood, ceramic, or (yes) real marble, and they are even affordable.

Did I say they sound terrific?

My wife would absolutely kill me if we sold ours. I admit that they are not for everyone, but they are certainly good for us!

John
http://www.free-resume-help.com
Free resume help, interview tips, and negotiating advice from corporate recruiting insiders.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   KIWIBOY

KIWIBOY

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted April 06 2008 - 02:56 PM

Many thanks All, I have some reasearch to do! Will check in and let you know the final solution. Happy to hear any further recommendations too of course as this forumn is great! SAM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users