What's new

Hell's Kitchen Season 4 (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Hell's Kitchen is back.
and from the looks on tonights preview it looks like Ramsey will be spouting off more f bombs than ever before

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
He spouted something, all right -- chewed-up food! :) His reactions to some of those dishes were a hoot.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
The "Black Gordon Ramsay," thing had me laughing every time it came up.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I thought it was great that Ramsey dressed in undercover disguise.
And very funny when he overheard Bobby say he was the black Gordon Ramsey

And what was up with that game hen hidden inside that pumpkin
with the butter soaked potatoes? It looked completely hideous.

I can't understand why this season seems to have lots of unprofessionals or ones that can barely cook.
Like the one that got eliminated tonight, Derek.
Who was a stay at home dad.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
While this show is still intriguing to watch (probably related to why people find serious traffic accidents fascinating) I have a couple of problems with the show. First of all, what's with all the chefs who are smokers? I really don't understand how people with such a chosen profession would choose to smoke. Lots of them look to be chain smokers based on previous seasons. Besides not being very appetizing to me as a customer in a restaurant I would think that smoking probably makes one's palate a bit less functional. Maybe the way that Ramsay treats these contestants makes them require various ways to unwind?

Also, what I found "quaint" in the first season or so (Ramsay's totally obnoxious - and often uncalled for - attitude and language toward the contestants) has become downright irritating. To me, he has now gone from celebrity to bully status. In the real world (without money and a possible position on the line) he would have been flattened long before now by at least one of the contestants that he verbally abused.

And what's with the diners? I know that it's L.A. but there must be a higher proportion of masochists in that city because they keep filling the restaurant up on a regular basis. Surely they know what to expect - so some of their indignant posturing is a bit contrived to me. Most of them probably want their fifteen minutes of fame (after all, it is Tinseltown ;) ) but they look like lemmings each time the restaurant "opens" and shuts down. Does anyone out there who lives in the L.A. area have any idea what the big deal is? I assume that the "diners" don't have to pay for any meals that might actually be served. What's the story here?

Of course, the fact that this is a FOX show speaks volumes. Never known for good taste, there's some irony in the whole thing. C'mon, Ramsay - shut the **BLEEP** up! After all you come from Britain - that bastion of culinary excellence. (And before you get on my case, I'm half British.)

:laugh: :laugh:

This show has gone from a "must watch" status for me to the "DVR and Zip-Zip" category.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Being a chef is a stressful job to begin with. Most high-stress jobs -- chefs, journalists, lawyers, even doctors and nurses -- have much higher smoking rates than the general population.
I've never watched this show before, because it looked like trash. It pretty much was, but riveting trash. That Ramsey guy has an absolute talent for the obscene.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
"A bit"? That's an understatement.

I watch the show religiously, but man -- this is the second most contrived reality show on the air (Kitchen Nightmares appears to be mostly fabricated, storywise)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I also find it funny that in Kitchen Nightmare's and Hell's Kitchen they always have the people's response by saying "Chef Ramsey doesn't know what he's talking about" "Chef Ramsey doesn't know cooking"
or something to that effect.

Seems to be the standard responses.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Found it kind of convenient that Ramsey had that garbage can to puke into right there, right then. ;)

Had no idea this was on, just caught it flipping channels... and I've watched all the previous seasons before. This one was pretty outrageous. Looks like Louross wanted Bobby (the black Gordon Ramsey) out, but Ramsey foiled the plans by bouncing Dominik instead...

Jay

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

Even those that are executive chefs are completely clueless. Clearly, this season is the absolute worst, and TPTB at FOX, are loving every minute of it. And this time, there are 15 instead of the usual 12 chefs.

I'm glad to see this show back, although I would have preferred they held off until summer.

Marianne

Supporting Actor

Not getting on your case - just pointing out that in the S Pellegrino World's 50 Best Restaurants 2007 List that France has 12, USA has 8 and UK has 7. The list for 2008 comes out on April 21st.

World's 50 Best Restaurants

BTW Number 24 is Restaurant Gordon Ramsay

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

Actually, Ramsay is Scottish. Being half-British, I'm sure he would want you to know that :)

With regards to the smoking - as it has been stated, being a chef is a very high-stress job, and a very large segment of those in the industry smoke (and some move on to other vices such as drinking and coke).

I know in the past, the show has used actors to fill the dining-room on the early nights.

Oh, and Ramsay always has a garbage can near him when he is "sampling" another chef's "food," :)

Marianne

Supporting Actor
"Ramsay now holds 12 prized Michelin stars for his restaurants around the world, putting him level with French chef Alain Ducasse." (as of October 2007)

UK Restaurants Michelin Star List (2007): 3 have 3 stars - 11 have 2 stars - 61 have 1 star

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Actually, the "British" half is actually Welsh. And a lot of my relatives would surely get on my case for calling myself "British", even fractionally!

:laugh: :laugh:

Good point on the stress of being a chef causing a higher than average number of smokers. I just find it a bit ironic that a profession where a good palate should be something that provides an advantage, that so many decide to smoke. Maybe it's mostly limited to the "grunts." Does anyone know if Ramsay smokes regularly? He's always touting his ability to make out subtle tastes. Just curious. [soapbox]I've been around smokers most of my life and many of them comment that their ability to full enjoy a quality meal has been compromised to some extent by their habit. Not being a smoker myself, I can only take their word for this. And, now in my mid-60's, I find it a little disturbing how many of these people have started having major health issues, or who have departed. But then I think back to the time when I was young. In your 20's or 30's you think that your are invincible. [/soapbox]

And yes, I see that the Ramsay Culinary Empire has a lot of high ratings so he knows food (or has behind the scene staff that does.) The fact that he chooses to go over the top in so many areas tells me he's a showman and a businessman. However, the act is getting a bit old by now so he has achieved "DVR-maybe" status in my household. The Bad Boy act is a hard one to pull off for the long haul. One can get away with it for a couple of seasons at best (see: "Trump").

;)

Marianne

Supporting Actor

I would go into the most Scottish pub, find the biggest Scot and say: "Face facts Jimmy - you're British!"

I was born in England, so I'm English and British. My ancesters were English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish and French!

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

You sound like a fun drinking partner!

I've gotten some cross looks just wearing my Liverpool jersey in Dundrennan :)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

I know the announcer said 15, but aren't there actually 14? (Was he counting Ramsay in disguise?) In the kitchen sequence, there were 7 on each side, right?; oddly, when they were picking the Captains, there were only 6 of them.

BTW, his name is Ramsay.

Just finished his autobiography, "Roasting in Hell's Kitchen: Temper Tantrums, F Words, and the Pursuit of Perfection" a few weeks ago. I just find him really interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks