Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Poor Rick Astley

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#21 of 24 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,629 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted November 29 2008 - 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
I suppose he's still making some royalties off the song, so it can't be all that bad
Nope, the song was written by the producers, Stock Aitken Waterman, so all the royalties go back to them. If it translates to album sales, he would get something as he did write, or co-write some of the songs on his albums, but generally not the big hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
but can you imagine how boring it must be to keep singing the same song for 20+ years?

Sounds like he's still singing, but I bet at every appearance people want to hear those pop hits he had early on.

I remember Streisand saying she didn't like to sing some of her early hits at concerts, but that's the stuff people want.

Sounds like he's got a pretty good attitude about things and is having fun with it.
That's generally the phases most music artists with any longevity go through. They resent the fact that fans want always want to hear the old hits and don't pay as much attention to their new music. Eventually, most of them give in and play the hits.

Martha Wash has been forced to sing "It's Raining Men" for nearly 30 years now, despite having a fair number of other hits as part of C&C Music Factory, Black Box, and as a solo artist.

Dead or Alive has been releasing new music for about 20 years, but all anyone wants to hear is 1985's "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)"...another Stock Aitken Waterman production, by the way, but Dead or Alive was smart enough to write all their own songs.

People still want Madonna to sing "Lucky Star" and "Like a Virgin" from the early 80's; expect Donna Summer to sing "Bad Girls" and "Last Dance" from the 70's; "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" from Cyndi Lauper; "Never Gonna..." from Rick Astley; etc., etc., despite the fact many of these acts are still releasing new music.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#22 of 24 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,923 posts

Posted November 30 2008 - 02:32 PM

Oh no! This thread has been......

Posted Image

Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#23 of 24 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted November 30 2008 - 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm R
Martha Wash has been forced to sing "It's Raining Men" for nearly 30 years now, despite having a fair number of other hits as part of C&C Music Factory, Black Box, and as a solo artist.

Dead or Alive has been releasing new music for about 20 years, but all anyone wants to hear is 1985's "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)"...another Stock Aitken Waterman production, by the way, but Dead or Alive was smart enough to write all their own songs.

People still want Madonna to sing "Lucky Star" and "Like a Virgin" from the early 80's; expect Donna Summer to sing "Bad Girls" and "Last Dance" from the 70's; "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" from Cyndi Lauper; "Never Gonna..." from Rick Astley; etc., etc., despite the fact many of these acts are still releasing new music.

That's why they're called signature songs.

Signature song - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#24 of 24 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted December 01 2008 - 02:56 AM

That appearance at the Thanksgiving parade is fantastic!
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

Forum Nav Content I Follow