What's new

Laredo (1 Viewer)

bobPON

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone purchased the Laredo sets? I'm interested in them but was a little concerned about the quality.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
I think the "Laredo" release from Timeless is one of the company's better vintage TV releases. While we're definitely not talking Paramount quality here, the prints utilized for "Laredo" are in very good shape and clean looking, with very little in the way of print damage. The colors are generally good, though picture image is just a tad on the soft side. If one was to pick a nit with Timeless, the company removes the opening title sequence from each episode and plays it just once, before you get to the main menu. Also, the episodes are out of sequence.

"Laredo" is an entertaining Western with a engaging cast with season one considered by many to be the better of the two seasons. I was surprised when "Laredo" was released last Fall and even more surprised to learn that it appears that both seasons of the series will be released in their entirely before the end of 2008. "Laredo" season 1, part 1 is currently the fourth best selling DVD at Timeless' web site. The first "Laredo" set gets high marks at Amazon and you may want to read some of the customer reviews there.

Video Home

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

I sent an E-mail a few days ago to Timeless asking this question, but haven't heard back from them.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I was initially worried about the fact that Timeless crammed 5 episodes onto each disc, but that proved not to create a noticeable problem. The print quality was perfectly adequate, and frankly less grainy than the other Universal-leased items. Unlike those other series, I thought Universal had re-mastered "Laredo," as I do recall the series looking pretty spiffy on Encore Westerns back in 1996. I'm not quite sure these prints on the dvd look 'that' good, however. I did hate that the opening credits weren't a part of the episodes proper, even if the series did sport one of the lamest examples of opening credits from the whole decade of the 60s.

Of that first batch of Timeless releases, I'd actually waited til the last to pick up the "Laredo" set, preferring to try out some of the other series, which I wasn't familiar with. Yet, in the end, "Laredo" proved to perhaps offer the most all-out entertainment. It's really a fun show. I've shown a few episodes to various friends and family members, all unfamiliar with the series, and they've ALL loved it. I saw both Peter Brown and William Smith at a show once, and now I regret not getting them to sign a "Laredo" still together. Oh, well. Not the first time I'm failed to take advantage of a situation. Anyway, I'm quite anxious to get the Volume-2 release, which Timeless apparently released last week.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
I never received a reply from Timeless Media, but it looks like DVDPacific now has "Laredo" season 1, part 2 in stock and anyone who ordered it from them should soon receive it. As far as the other two new titles from Timeless are concerned, "Checkmate - Best of season 2" is also in but is in a low stock situation and "Arrest and Trial, vol. 2" is still missing in action. Haven't checked the other online retailers but it appears as if these titles will be shipping soon.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I was at Sam's Club, and noticed both Laredo sets for $19.88 each. Also from Timeless media Branded season 1, and The Guns of Will Sonnet.
I picked up the Guns of Will Sonnet season 1, and I'm really enjoying it. Very good Western from 1967 which only ran 2 seasons. Looking forward to season 2.

Kruzer31

Agent
Real Name
Doug
Amazon has the cover art of Laredo Season 2 Part 2 up on their web site with a street date of January 6, 2009. This release by Timeless will complete the series.

S

silverking

Well thats good news, another series complete.

Timeless seem to be the kings of old western series, I note they are also releasing Buffalo Bill Jnr & Cowboy G Men this month.Don't know if these are the same as previous PD releases from other companies. Timeless should find some time to update their website.

Just received my Laredo S2 Set 1 & The Deputy this week.

Laredo now has the opening credits with each episode rather than playing just once when the disc loads. Please to see both sets now come in slimlines as well. The Deputy set contains a couple of below par quality episodes, Timeless include a note saying it was the best master they could find, still better than Mill Creek or Alpha though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks