Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Band of Brothers Blu-ray In Works for 2008

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted March 31 2008 - 02:40 AM

Home Media Magazine - Bringing Digital Entertainment To You

This is excellent news, as I have not found the time to watch this on SD DVD, and I could never bring myself to pay the high price of the Japanese import HD DVDs. I'm sure this set will be expensive nevertheless, but buying it on BD seems to entail 'less risk'.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 31 2008 - 02:52 AM

It'll be expensive, but well worth it. One can only hope that From the Earth to the Moon is not far behind.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,269 posts

Posted March 31 2008 - 06:49 AM

Agreed. This will be one release where I don´t complain the price! Probably "nr.1" on my Blu-ray "wish list"!

Let´s hope that the old extras are included and some HD exclusives also. Think about it; "trivia/timeline" track with real historical info (expanding the experience), PiP, etc. Posted Image

(I have actually taken the "real BoB tour" in Normandy, France, following the real historical locations. It was great experience for me..)

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,492 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 01 2008 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for the post, Paul! I was also interested in the news on the DVD release of John Adams. I have already sent the link to my wife as a Father's Day gift idea hint! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   Kris Z.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted April 01 2008 - 10:02 PM

Great news! Hopefully it'll have a <$150 price tag.

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,882 posts

Posted April 02 2008 - 05:28 AM

Posted Image

Hopefully, they will offer some sort of upgrade rebate on top of reasonable pricing like Disney does. Posted Image

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (Apostle Paul)

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,269 posts

Posted April 02 2008 - 05:41 PM

Based on Amazon at the moment, "The Sopranos - Season 6" Parts 1 & 2 (Blu-ray) are roughly $90/each*..

So my guess is that BoB won´t be cheap..

Then again, the Japanese HD DVD-set has "We Stand Alone Together: The Men of Easy Company" -documentary (77 min) + some trailers/biographies and DTS-HD High Resolution 5.1-audio (AVC MPEG-4 codec), so I would assume that this upcoming BD-set will have PCM (like "The Sopranos") and more extras than the HD DVD-set..

Let´s hope at least. Posted Image

(*HD DVD-versions are now lowered to $56.49, btw)

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,525 posts

Posted April 08 2008 - 01:47 PM

I will be all over Band Of Brothers as soon as it comes out! Posted Image

For some stupid reason I never got around to getting the DVD set so it will be awsume for it to hit Blu-ray! Posted Image

I am hoping that the Blu-ray edition of Band Of Brothers will have the full blown DTS-HD MA track on it.

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (257 Blu-ray Titles)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted April 09 2008 - 02:21 AM

Well, I couldn't wait any longer and forked out the 2 bills that was required to buy the HD DVD set. I have to say I thought long and hard about it. As soon as I placed the order, I felt immediate regret. I thought to myself...what did I just do? Don't tell the wife...she'll have a coronary. Flash forward to yesterday and after viewing the first two discs (4 eps total), I have to say it is worth every penny and nickel and quarter.... The picture quality on this set is perfect. Absolutely perfect. Audio is no slouch either. The DTS-HD HR track is enveloping, dynamic and totally immerses you (when you combine the perfect picture you're viewing) back to a time which I will never fully understand or appreciate. I am so glad I purchased this set. I'm the type of person who will admit to a bad buy when warranted. This is not the case here.

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,269 posts

Posted June 25 2008 - 09:05 AM

'300,' 'JFK' Lead Warner Blu-ray Fall Catalog Brigade | High-Def Digest

"Finally, Warner/HBO also reiterated their announcement earlier this year that the award-winning epic miniseries 'Band of Brothers' would be making its much-anticipated high-def bow this year."

edit: Some info also here..
Blu-ray.com - Details Revealed for Band of Brothers Blu-ray

"Expect the release to come in a tin packaging, similar to the existing DVD release. Episodes will be digitally restored for this release and the soundtrack is expected to be encoded in DTS (though, the flavor has not been revealed).

All bonus material from the DVD release should make it to the Blu-ray, but there will also be some exclusive Blu-ray content, such as BonusView interviews with surviving members of Easy Company."

BonusView interviews with surviving members of Easy Company? Goddamn! Let´s hope that it´ll be true..

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,525 posts

Posted June 25 2008 - 01:04 PM

I am willing to be that the Blu-ray version will be using a DTS-HD Master Audio track. To my knowledge the majority of the DTS lossless titles on Blu-ray are the MA flavor. Band of Brothers is one of those titles that I will buy the day it is released. Along with Saving Private Ryan and all the James Bond movies. Posted Image Posted Image

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (257 Blu-ray Titles)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted July 15 2008 - 05:35 AM

HMV is reporting a November 10 release date for the UK:

hmv.com: blu-ray: Band Of Brothers 6blu (2008)

That translates to a November 11 release here in the States, which happens to be Veteran's Day. I'm pretty sure that's not a coincidence.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   Kris Z.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted July 15 2008 - 07:20 AM

Colour me surprised. That is a lot less than I had expected.

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted July 15 2008 - 08:18 AM

I know that all the HD DVD'ers were all hyped up (& most paid a lot of $$$ for this) about "BoB" from Japan. I all so know it looked & sounded better according too them. For those that know: is this a "must" upgrade from the SD? I mean the SD looks & sounds "gritty" good. Would this be a "must buy" like "BotB". Thanks & NO fights! Now w/the extra extra's on Blu, this may be moot! Although I have the SD (I've even watched it!); this will be some serious cash. I'm predicting $85US or more street. That's a lot of single title "movie money"! ;-)
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted July 15 2008 - 08:23 AM

Uh Oh!

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted July 15 2008 - 08:34 AM

Calm down, Ed. Check the HD DVD screenshots before getting folks all riled up. Dollars to donuts that means a new HD transfer. If they kept in the grain for the HD DVD version, I see no reason for them not to do it here.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 827 posts

Posted July 15 2008 - 09:13 AM

I'll pay HBO prices so long as we don't have to look at a bunch of ugly, distracting grain. And maybe they can pump up the color so everything won't look so drab and boring. Posted Image

Oh, and...no "3D pop" = no sale!

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted July 15 2008 - 12:14 PM

Yep, that's what I saw over there as well. Wonder what the HTF crowd feels?

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,269 posts

Posted July 15 2008 - 08:49 PM

This "BoB HD DVD"-hype was so strong partly because it was very exclusive, import-release (and which cost serious money when HD DVD was still kicking). Sure, I´m sure it was very good, but still..

Like I said earlier:

Japanese HD DVD:
*"We Stand Alone Together: The Men of Easy Company" -documentary (77 min) + some trailers/biographies
*DTS-HD High Resolution 5.1-audio
*AVC MPEG-4 codec

Upcoming US Blu-ray (NOT CONFIRMED):
*"All bonus material from the DVD release should make it to the Blu-ray, but there will also be some exclusive Blu-ray content, such as BonusView interviews with surviving members of Easy Company."
*DTS-HD Master (?)
*Tin case

I would say that the US-release will clean the table eventually. Posted Image

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted August 02 2008 - 07:46 AM

hmv.com: blu-ray: Band Of Brothers: 6blu (2008)

UK edition comes out Nov 10th. Could a U.S. version be released the next day, which I believe is Veteran's Day?

Pretty good price too. Comes out to roughly $70 US Dollars. It's a Warner release so it should be region free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users