-

Photo
- - - - -

Bitstream and LPCM Confusion with the PS3

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   mitch

mitch

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted March 29 2008 - 12:47 PM

Hi All,

Maybe someone can once and for all easily explain to me what my correct optimum sound settings should be with my PS3.

My system consists of the PS3 [just upgraded to 2.2 firmware], Integra 7.8 AVR, and Sony 46" LCD Bravia widescreen all connected via HDMI. I have a 5.1 system with my Snell E.5 mains, CR.5 center, and SR.5 surrounds along with my awesome SVS PB12/Plus 2 Sub and a Velodyne HGS 15 Sub. I also have a Toshiba A2 HD DVD player. It ttook me a while to put all of this together as you can imagine, so, just like all of you, I would like to have the best settings possible.

What should my optimum audio settings be on my PS3? I think right now, it is set on HDMI auto and LPCM. Do I need to check or set anything else? When would I need Bitstream if at all? I watch both SD and BD DVD's.

By the way I played with the Mosquito Noise Reduction on some of my SD DVD's after the firmware upgrade but didn't really see any appreciable difference. How about you?

Thanks as always for your answers and help,

Mitch

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Robert George

Robert George

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted March 29 2008 - 01:45 PM

Your current configuration will yield the best results for the PS3.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit

• 326 posts

Posted March 29 2008 - 04:21 PM

Personally, I would rather have my receiver do the decoding than the PS3. I only set it to "PCM" for Dolby TrueHD (and presumably some day for DTS-HD [MA]), and the rest of the time it is set to "Bitstream". If you just want to set it once and not have to think about it again, "PCM" is your best bet.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted March 29 2008 - 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_Ehr
Personally, I would rather have my receiver do the decoding rather than the PS3. I only set it to "PCM" for Dolby TrueHD (and presumably some day for DTS-HD [MA]), and the rest of the time it is set to "Bitstream".

"Bitstream" would be the ideal way (this will pass through the original soundtrack format untouched from the player => receiver decodes it), but I guess the problem is that e.g. PS3 won´t support "bitstream" via HDMI yet (am I correct?).. So you basically need to use PCM for the HD-audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD) at this point.

"Normal" DD and DTS work just fine via "bitstream" and e.g. optical connections. So with SD DVDs, you can use "bitstream".

PCM - Player decodes
Bitstream - Receiver decodes

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Kevin. W

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted March 30 2008 - 12:23 AM

From my understanding the signal either in Bitstream or LPCM is bit for bit identical, so its your choice to either have the player decode it or the receiver. Some people say they can hear a difference, some don't.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   James_Garner

James_Garner

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted March 30 2008 - 02:42 AM

I just purchased Sony's STR-DG910 to go with my PS3 (System Update 2.20) and I just don't like the way PCM sounds on my Dolby/dts BDs. They sound nowhere near as sharp. Also, when I set the PS3 on PCM, the Dolby EX and DTS-ES extensions on both DVDs and BDs are not recognized, but they are on bitstream. I found this out after renting the "Stargate" Blu-ray from Blockbuster. I'd rather spend a few more bucks on a Receiver with built-in Dolby TrueHD/dts-HD and wait for a PS3 bitstream update. Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD sound pretty good in the older Dolby Digital and DTS decodings, anyway. MUCH better than PCM; Although PCM sounds good on my Multi-channel SACDs. EDIT: I traded the DG910 for an Onkyo TX-SR 605 at a cheaper price. I tweaked the volume control on my PS3, and now EVERYTHING sounds MUCH better in multichannel PCM mode (especially with the new dts-HD update for PS3).

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted March 30 2008 - 06:05 AM

IMO, if you spend around 1000$ (+/-) for A/V-receiver, it should do the "job" (decoding the audio). I mean, that´s one reason why you buy it in the 1st place. Posted Image

But yes, if the HD-player doesn´t support "bitstream" via HDMI, PCM is very good option. No question. I just hope that most players will in the near future.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,710 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted April 14 2008 - 08:38 AM

Someone needs to put this in a convenient logic matrix format =p

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Anthony_H

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted April 16 2008 - 09:14 AM

This is taxing my lay brain gentlemen. Lets start with 101... I have only optical cable connected with a non-HDMI receiver. Is there any way I can get this superior audio through my current connections.. or MUST I have HDMI connections?

Thanks,

A.T.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 458 posts

Posted April 16 2008 - 09:42 AM

Optical is bandwidth limited. You will not be able to do any of the advanced audio formats. And, the best I think you can do with PCM is 2 channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_H
This is taxing my lay brain gentlemen. Lets start with 101... I have only optical cable connected with a non-HDMI receiver. Is there any way I can get this superior audio through my current connections.. or MUST I have HDMI connections?

Thanks,

A.T.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted April 16 2008 - 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Robertson
Optical is bandwidth limited. You will not be able to do any of the advanced audio formats. And, the best I think you can do with PCM is 2 channel.

Optical is actually just DRM limited. It has more than enough bandwidth for lossless or uncompressed multichannel sound, the reasons it doesn't are entirely artificial.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

Forum Nav Content I Follow